• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I'm using the Dyn Audio Esotar2 430 Midrange. I tested that as well. It's not cheap but it's a lovely driver. Super compact, fits in a very small enclosure, plays extremely flat (best I measured to this day, I believe) and nice off-axis response to mate with a tweeter. It's in a sealed enclosure in the dash.

Car audio brands ... I'd recommend Audiofrog. The guy who owns them is an objectivist and doesn't rely on marketing and subjective fluff to sell his stuff. Not sure what kind of budget you're working with, though. Then, with home audio drivers, there's the standards like Scanspeak, Vifa, TangBand, Dayton, etc, etc, etc.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome, just as I thought. Do you use the Scan-Speak 10F/4424G00 for midrange? I saw some Frog Audio drivers tested on your old site, they seemed very lineair!

Do you know some reccomendations on drivers from the top of your head? :)

Never used them but the different Scanspeak Discovery 10F midranges always struck me as amazing drivers. I'm selling a pair of 15ms if you want a good deal btw, good if you need high efficiency.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-midrange/scanspeak-15m/4624g-discovery-5.25-midrange/

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm using the Dyn Audio Esotar2 430 Midrange. I tested that as well. It's not cheap but it's a lovely driver. Super compact, fits in a very small enclosure, plays extremely flat (best I measured to this day, I believe) and nice off-axis response to mate with a tweeter. It's in a sealed enclosure in the dash.

Car audio brands ... I'd recommend Audiofrog. The guy who owns them is an objectivist and doesn't rely on marketing and subjective fluff to sell his stuff. Not sure what kind of budget you're working with, though. Then, with home audio drivers, there's the standards like Scanspeak, Vifa, TangBand, Dayton, etc, etc, etc.
Ooff, a bit outside my budget :). The problem is I notice there is such a difference in quality in drivers from the same brand, the actual brands don't say a lot I think. I hope you will be able to test some SB Acoustics drivers, they seem excellent value for money from what I see on Hifi Compass.

Question: does a flat on- and off-axis mean that a driver is lineair across the pass band itself, or is it related to other parameters? I'm still trying to understand the measurements I guess :)

Drivers are just one thing anyways. Now I'm trying to learn about the enclosure design itself. Searching for info on bracing, damping etc.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to see SQ comparisons of head units for hi-fi car audio

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I'd like to see SQ comparisons of head units for hi-fi car audio

Hands-on reviewing; walking through the GUI and discussing features. I'm cool with that. But I don't have the equipment to measure headunits like Amir does with electronics here and honestly I don't see the point these days.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blinded listening if you have more than a single unit...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if they differ anywhere, it is likely in car audio

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Some more reviews. Some of these are from car audio brands but the performance is very high.

JL ZR800-CW 8" midbass data posted. Though it's been discontinued, it's still a great dedicated midbass and worthy of sharing the data so people know what made it such a good choice for midbass.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/jl-audio-zr800cw/

Gladen Aerospace 28mm tweeter review. Quite a stellar tweeter that I hardly, if ever, see talk about.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/gladen-aerospace-28-tweeter/

Gladen Aerospace 20mm, small format tweeter. Incredible performance.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/gladen-aerospace-20-tweeter/

Scan 1" Illuminator (D3004/602000) dome tweeter. Enjoy!
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/scanspeak-d3004-602000-tweeter/

IMG_2265.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
KEF's plug is in front of a normal dome driver in a coaxial system, so only common things are words "plug" and "tangerine"

No, it's pretty clear and KEF told me they have a specific design and "patent" on this particular waveguide when I emailed them about the unfortunate similarity. Probably the Altec use of the word and the tangerine waveguide principle has long since elapsed and the implementation/name is regarded as fair game. Such is the way theses days...

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
For those who aren't part of the Facebook group or YouTube pages I've started in tandem with my website, I thought you might like to see this video. It gives you some insight in to my background, why I'm testing and why 80's music is my love. :D

maty

Major Contributor
Erin, I imagined you ugly but not so much :p

I already commented that I am very grateful for your old analysis of KEF Q100 driver. Having confirmed that it was so good, I knew that I could try to correct the deficiencies of cheap KEF implementation (cost savings).

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/kef-q100-drive-unit/

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Question for you guys.

Using data from this thread I have created two versions of a spectrogram. They are the same data set. Just different ways of presenting it. The top is more smoothed between color gradients. The bottom is more 'stepped'. Visually, I think the latter is more clean because it's not as straining on the eyes. On the flip side, my concern is that the steps may be too distinct; losing some of what the data is telling us about this speaker. Those of you who use this kind of plot to quickly guage directivity profiles, which do you feel is more worthwhile to you? #1 or #2?

Edit: Changed the second one to something I think looks better now. Which I think is my favorite.

View attachment 49814

View attachment 49817

Last edited:

Jon AA

Forum Donor
I do think the second is easier to read, but looks a bit more cartoonish if that makes sense. Here's an example of what I was talking about before which amounts to a combination of the two:

Titan-6 waveguide polar.png

I particularly like a clear -6db line as that makes it easy to compare with directivity charts of pro audio speakers (typically rated dispersion patterns -6 db down).

Top Bottom