• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I can dig it.

I do think the second is easier to read, but looks a bit more cartoonish if that makes sense. Here's an example of what I was talking about before which amounts to a combination of the two:

I particularly like a clear -6db line as that makes it easy to compare with directivity charts of pro audio speakers (typically rated dispersion patterns -6 db down).

I can dig it.

How about this? -3dB in thin white. -6dB in thick white. Both labeled.

Dayton Audio B652-AIR_Horizontal_spectro_x200_fill_labeled.png

Jon AA

Forum Donor
I think that looks fantastic. Very easy to see, for example, the -6 db dispersion at 3500 Hz is 44 degrees, at 4500 Hz is 172 degrees. o_O

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I appreciate your input. With it, I'm happy with the look of the plots now.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
If any of you who have submitted speakers to Amir for testing see this, I have a favor to ask:

Would you be willing to also send me the speaker as well, once I get my testing setup completed? It would be nice to be able to compare my results against what he’s gotten of the same DUT. I’m sure there will be some small differences simply because of the fact I won’t be using the NFS and will be providing my data through more manual means. But I’m ok with little details not being the exact same. But if there are any glaring differences I can work to resolve them before I start posting data “for real”.

I don’t know when I’ll begin testing again. But I just wanted to throw this out there so I could try to have something lined up.

Thanks in advance,
Erin

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Yea. I ordered some 10" Ciare midbass over the summer that I was quite impressed with. Would be nice to be able to test those but I done sold 'em.

maty

Major Contributor
Out of curiosity.

@Erin

It is known that I have modified KEF Q100 5.25" coaxial, which are no longer for sale. If you had to buy new ones up to € 2,000, which shelving speakers would you recommend? Thinking about further improvements, if any.

Same question with DIY, up to € 1,000.

Active or passive.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
That's honestly not a question I could easily answer at this very moment. I would have to do some research to see a) what all is out there for that price and b) what the data or any other reviews say (AKA: research).

I do know the Kef R-Series mid-concentric is a fantastic performing concentric drive unit and the R3 is right at $2k USD so just about at that budget. The Elac stuff is getting good mentions; I've reached out to some people about testing some Elac stuff but haven't heard back yet. But, honestly, there's just so many brands out there these days that it's hard to know without spending a good bit of time looking around at the options. The same can be said for DIY.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Seas H1397-04 (27TAFNC/D) 1 inch Aluminum Dome Tweeter Review is now up on my site.

For $43/each this is a pretty solid driver. Super compact. Nice FR (rising on the top end; may want to aim closer to 30 degrees off-axis depending on the car's influence). Distortion below 2khz is high but a crossover will help that. Above 5khz distortion is a bit higher than I'd care for but it's not terrible. Overall I think this is a pretty good value.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/seas_27afncd_tweeter/

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Fountek FR88EX Fullrange review.

Cliff's notes: Low sensitivity. Ok midrange. Bad outside of this. Some pretty wild FR for a "fullrange" above beaming. High HD below 300hz; use a crossover for sure no lower than this. And HD around the breakup regions. All these comments are pretty typical of *most* fullrange drivers and why I don't use them myself unless there's a real need. YMMV.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/fountek_fr88ex/

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Fountek FR89EX Fullrange review. Very similar to the FR88EX I tested.

Cliff's notes: Low sensitivity. Ok midrange. Bad outside of this. Some pretty wild FR for a "fullrange" above beaming. High HD below 300hz; use a crossover for sure no lower than this. And HD around the breakup regions. All these comments are pretty typical of *most* fullrange drivers and why I don't use them myself unless there's a real need. YMMV.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/fountek_fr89ex/

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Scanspeak 10F/4424G00 Discovery 4 inch Midrange (4 ohm version)

Cliff's: Good results. Rising on-axis response above 5khz. But no modal issues to speak of. Would actually make a better wideband driver than most drivers marketed as "wideband". Though, I still wouldn't recommend that. Should not be crossed lower than the typical 300hz (give or take, depending on exact usage) because there's not a lot of excursion here. Thumbs up.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/scanspeak_discovery_10f4424g00_midrange/

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar Transducer is up.

Klif's notes: Very non-linear frequency response. Odd things in the unit-to-unit consistency with regards to the distortion. I know people have used them and liked them... I don't see it. Maybe there's a legit use for them that I'm just not aware of like line arrays (as the marketing indicates). Either way, I can't recommend them for 'standard' speaker applications based on what I'm seeing here.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/bg_neo10/

IMG_5354.jpg

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
This review is from 2013?

Yes. Note the current mfg spec shows the same general FR curve I measured 7 years ago. So they're still producing the same thing it appears.

Edit: Wasn't sure if you were asking as to the validity of the data or why it's just now coming up. If the former, see above. If the latter, I'm just now getting around to porting all the data from my old site to the new one.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Note the current mfg spec shows the same general FR curve I measured 7 years ago. So they're still producing the same thing it appears.

Edit: Wasn't sure if you were asking as to the validity of the data or why it's just now coming up. If the former, see above. If the latter, I'm just now getting around to porting all the data from my old site to the new one.
It would be nice to mention that you've also performed testing on a current production unit and have found the same results.

EDIT: I see you're going based on the BG spec not that you've tested them again. What did Parts Express say when you told them about the data?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I never told them. But I did post it on their forum. There was some lengthy discussion there and others who had tested them had similar results.

Top Bottom