• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ErinsAudioCorner

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Two things...

I finally got around to making an "intro" to my YouTube channel:

And secondly, if you guys are around, I'll be participating in a livestream tonight in about an hour (6pm Central time) with a couple other popular YouTube reviewers on Daily HiFi:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two things...

I finally got around to making an "intro" to my YouTube channel:

And secondly, if you guys are around, I'll be participating in a livestream tonight in about an hour (6pm Central time) with a couple other popular YouTube reviewers on Daily HiFi:

Hopefully this collab will bring some new folks both to your channel and to the audio science ways.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Hopefully this collab will bring some new folks both to your channel and to the audio science ways.

I agree. Joe provides in-situ measurements for his reviews which is (I think) what bonded us initially. I watched his videos because I felt he was one of "the good ones". Don't know when but we made contact and have been chatting back and forth for a few months now. He's a good dude. So his audience is probably much less "anti-science" than some of the other guys'.

Selah Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Don't ask me how it sounds. I haven't read Erin's review. :D
PK Surround.jpg

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Really enjoying the more objective dynamic you bring to the Daily Hifi podcast. You and Joe especially have a great dynamic. He asks you a lot of good (semi) technical questions that you do a good job of explaining in layman terms.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Really enjoying the more objective dynamic you bring to the Daily Hifi podcast. You and Joe especially have a great dynamic. He asks you a lot of good (semi) technical questions that you do a good job of explaining in layman terms.

Thanks for replying! Yea, man, it's a good time with those guys. I wasn't sure how the first one was going to go because I felt a little out of my league with them but they're really nice guys and they all genuinely care about what they're doing for the community. And Joe definitely is more data driven than most other reviewers I know. I feel like he is a good middle ground; not getting buried in the little details. Where I do. But I'm not saying that in a bad way about me. Just that we all have our niche and between he and I, I feel we cover a good spectrum for people viewing content on YouTube.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
A little somethin', somethin' for you to drool over during the Holidays (the speaker, not me).

Obviously this isn't a review. That's coming later (as I mention in the video, I may be changing things up a bit in my measurement system). But I had time and was a bit bored so thought I would make a video showing some highlights and discussion about a very high-quality concentric speaker design from Kef.

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
certainly not everyone's cup of tea but since I know there are a few car audio minded people here...

Steve Weigner is not just a person who I call a friend but is also a highly respected member of the car audio sound quality community. His many years dedicated toward improving not just his own car systems but others as well have made him the go-to source for information and advice on properly setting up a high-level car audio system. In this video we take questions from the audience - live - and chat about topics related to car audio. Join us for some good ol' boy chatting about something we are both very passionate for.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Hey Erin. Thanks for all your great content in 2020. I wish you all the best. Keep going. You are awesome

Thank you, sir! Much appreciated! Hopefully I’ll have some big news for 2021 but even if things continue the trend they are, I’ll be happy. See ya on the other side of the calendar!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Some of you guys might be interested in this thread I started discussing moving mic measurements and how using a house curve can be effected depending on if you measure in-situ (as some do) vs out of the MLP:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...h-a-house-curve-and-moving-mic-methods.19160/

If you don't want to go to another thread, here is what I posted...

In this video I compare the two most common ways of measuring your system's frequency response via RTA and discuss the potential issues when using these methods to EQ the response to match a house curve.

Cliff's: There is a measurable difference with a "body in place" vs "free field"-type when using the Moving Microphone Method for measuring your system response. This is especially notable for those who use a house curve to target a particular system response as, in every case I can think of, the house curved was derived from a "free space" condition (no body in the seated position). While I use various methods and do not believe one is necessarily better than the other, I am providing you with insight on why and how this can effect your end result.

In a standard home audio or home theater setting this isn't as big of a deal because the angle of the speakers are typically not severe enough where head shadowing plays a major role. Still, the measured difference between the two methods is about ±2dB from 200Hz to 2kHz. However, in car audio, this is more severe even higher in frequency because the passenger side speakers are often at a higher angle (as much as 40°-60° off-axis).

Thunder22

A fellow hobbyist made a 3.5 hour drive (one-way) today to deliver some speakers for me to test.

Philharmonic BMR
Focal Twin 6 Be
Canton Chrono SL 536.2
Canton Vento 830.2
Mirage OMD-5 (this one intrigues me

I don’t know when these all will be tested because I am hoping/planning on a couple manufacturers to send me their speakers that will jump ahead of the pack. But I plan to start soon.

I also ordered a set of the Micca MB42X to see how they compare to the Neumi BS5 I just tested.

Lots of good things happening that I’m really excited about. Thanks for playing along, everyone.

- Erin

View attachment 72990View attachment 72991View attachment 72992View attachment 72993View attachment 72994View attachment 72995View attachment 72996View attachment 72997
Will you still be testing the Cantons?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Will you still be testing the Cantons?

I tested it but not fully. The owner had to pick them up so I did some horizontal spins when he came to get them but they were gated. Nothing I would have felt comfortable with sharing as they were not complete. He just wanted to see the difference between the two sets he had.

Thunder22

I tested it but not fully. The owner had to pick them up so I did some horizontal spins when he came to get them but they were gated. Nothing I would have felt comfortable with sharing as they were not complete. He just wanted to see the difference between the two sets he had.
That's too bad. Thanks for following up so quickly and what you are do for the community in general.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that you know a nixie tube is quite telling! Saw a fair number on Naval ships. Not many these days.
I was able to purchase nixie tube test gear up till about the mid 90's. One unique piece that I had was a HP microVolt meter. Rack width with handles, lotsa nixie tubes, it all worked, was not with calibration certificate but I was told it was in spec. :D

Top Bottom