• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tuning Your System with a House Curve and Moving Mic Methods

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
In this video I compare the two most common ways of measuring your system's frequency response via RTA and discuss the potential issues when using these methods to EQ the response to match a house curve.

Cliff's: There is a measurable difference with a "body in place" vs "free field"-type when using the Moving Microphone Method for measuring your system response. This is especially notable for those who use a house curve to target a particular system response as, in every case I can think of, the house curved was derived from a "free space" condition (no body in the seated position). While I use various methods and do not believe one is necessarily better than the other, I am providing you with insight on why and how this can effect your end result.

In a standard home audio or home theater setting this isn't as big of a deal because the angle of the speakers are typically not severe enough where head shadowing plays a major role. Still, the measured difference between the two methods is about ±2dB from 200Hz to 2kHz. However, in car audio, this is more severe even higher in frequency because the passenger side speakers are often at a higher angle (as much as 40°-60° off-axis).

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Nice ears:)

Top Bottom