• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalizer settings to bring up footsteps IN GAME?

nevije3158

So recently my DT 880 went bust so I'm currently using a replacement RH-5MA until I get my main pair back.

I googled around and found Amir's review for the RH-5MA and decided to try out the posted equalizer settings. After applying them via Equalizer APO, I noticed that the enemy footsteps in game are really quiet compared to default equalizer settings.

I got curious-- is there a way to boost such quiet sounds via equalizer settings? and if yes, how?

This is my first post, first time lurker and a clueless audio noob :p

staticV3

Master Contributor
Two options:

Use compression and limiting to reduce the dynamic range of your game's audio, making loud sounds quieter and quiet sounds louder

Record footsteps in-game at various distances, do some frequency analysis, then boost those frequencies exclusively using something like Equalizer Apo.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Busting the lows range where they are for let's say two levels (steps) what you can distinguish hearing (usually let's call it 1.5 dB per step loudness increase for given area [some will hear more or less]).

RandomEar

Recently found this reddit thread, which explains how to install a compressor plugin in Equalizer APO to limit the peak volume in games. With slightly different settings, you can just as well boost footstep sounds using the compressor.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So recently my DT 880 went bust so I'm currently using a replacement RH-5MA until I get my main pair back.

I googled around and found Amir's review for the RH-5MA and decided to try out the posted equalizer settings. After applying them via Equalizer APO, I noticed that the enemy footsteps in game are really quiet compared to default equalizer settings.

I got curious-- is there a way to boost such quiet sounds via equalizer settings? and if yes, how?

This is my first post, first time lurker and a clueless audio noob :p
It's usually between 4khz-8khz depending on the surface you're walking on. Adjust one band at a time at least +3 while in a quiet area with a hard floor surface to dial in which is best for the game you're in. Even better if you can find an out of the way place where people are passing through or grinding quests. Just dial down the preamp for every db you increase to avoid distortion. If your game has an option to not mute the sound when it's running in the background and you're in a busy area, it's really fast to try one band at a time in that range.

Top Bottom