• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eq Sennheiser HD 545 Reference

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Guys

I’m trying to Eq my headphones, they are Sennheiser HD545 Reference. I searched the lists of Eq headphones and they have not been included. However the HD540 Reference II have and therefore I was wondering if I used the Eq for them that would be close enough. I appreciate that there could be a wide difference between the two, but try as I may I can’t find any information for the HD545.

Many thanks

Regards

William

3125b

Major Contributor
No, those are completely different headphones, one ten years older than the other with different drivers and construction etc.
The 545 Reference was sort of a medium priced (160 Deutsche Mark, 189$ in the US, so it was significantly more expensive there) model, a cheaper alternative to the HD 600 it shares the overall construction style with.
I don't know of any measurements unfortunately, so you'd have to do it by ear, maybe get a curve for the HD 600 and work based on that though that might mislead you more than it helps.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Actually, HD540 II and HD 545 appeared just a few years apart; their manuals are dated 12/92 and 05/94, respectively.

I would suggest using HD565 measurements as a starting point - the main difference between 545 and 565 was the back grille (metal vs. plastic), while drivers and pads were the same, so chances are they'd be fairly close. I still have some HD535s floating around (again very similar)... swapping the stock pleather pads for some velour ones yielded a competent if slightly mid-centric sound much like the HD565 measurements would suggest. Sort of the opposite of a HD590.

This series seems to be somewhat underdamped, similar to the "bass-light" HD595. Maybe for differentiation from the then-flagship HD580 and/or improved output from portable sources.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I reviewed (and restored) a HD 545 Reference.

It is basically a HD600 in another jacket. It shows what Sennheiser already could make 25-30 years ago.

HD540 and HD540-II as well as a (3rd) HD250-Lin-II are in the works but need some restoration before I can publish.
The pads are the most difficult part in these headphones as originals are no longer available.

rocksteady

Forum Donor
I reviewed (and restored) a HD 545 Reference.

It is basically a HD600 in another jacket. It shows what Sennheiser already could make 25-30 years ago.

HD540 and HD540-II as well as a (3rd) HD250-Lin-II are in the works but need some restoration before I can publish.
The pads are the most difficult part in these headphones as originals are no longer available.
"It is basically a HD600 in another jacket."

I own Two pairs of the HD 545 and I completely disagree. The HD 545 is altogether more Neutral and Accurate, despite what measurements might indicate. Tonally, they are actually closer to their forebear and namesake, the HD 540 (II)...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is something like product variance/tolerance, pad wear etc so YMMV.
The measurements of my HD545 and HD600 don't lie.

The HD540 (and II) measure and sound completely different from HD545.

Top Bottom