• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Definition of PEQ parameters

Hausmeister

Hi all,

thanx for providing these interesting measurements, I just discovered this page! I have a Sennheiser HD598SE and tried to use the EQ settings provided here

I don't quite understand the PEQ settings when comparing with the provided graph and the data provided in the second post of that thread. There is a low shelf with 6dB which should make the EQ curve go to +6 when f -> 0. However, the graph shows a value around 4 dB. I suppose the difference stems from the total gain indicated by the yellow line which is around -2dB (maybe -2.1?)

However, the next post (by user @sweetchaos) indicates a preamp setting of -7.1dB. Maybe it should be -2.1dB??

Also, which definition for Q is used here? Is this Q the same as the "RBJ Q" in REW (see last table on that page)?

Maybe these settings are explained somewhere, I have searched but could not find any info, sorry if this is a FAQ.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With a response like the HD598SE it isn’t clear what should be the “zero” point for the target, so different EQ profiles can have different gains at a certain frequency.

The Sweetchaos preamp of -7.1 dB is needed because the last +7 dB filter will clip without it. I think Roon already avoids clipping.

I believe Roon uses the RBJ Q definition.

Top Bottom