• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
You have to ignore the power n cable talk. Did anyone see the Margules set up?...or hear it. I have not found a summary on them...interesting gear. The designer said @ 1 min 45seconds that the science approach is what they do and never listen to the speaker but instead measure it. Sorry I had to find it been watching a lot of show recap .
As soon as I hear that sort of thing my eyes start to glaze ver and it is a bunch of blah blah. Not to mention at least one of those fellas is owner of Suncoast (dealer, so there’s that).

As to the Soundfield interview, got it, now I understand what you are saying. Certainly it’s both, Soundfield designs via measurements and listening, but measurements primary and listening only a confirmation of the measurements. As it should be IMHO. With that said, given the rush to get the Titans ready for show, in fact I am not sure if there was indeed time to measure! But that is definitely happening now ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm mystified since now the OP's shortlist consists of a custom speaker (similar to the Titan which appears to be a product under development) and a yet to be released larger version of the D & D 8c. I couldn't find any mention of either on the manufacturers websites. Maybe I have no imagination, but I thought it was a lot easier to shop for products which already exist.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm mystified since now the OP's shortlist consists of a custom speaker (similar to the Titan which appears to be a product under development) and a yet to be released larger version of the D & D 8c. I couldn't find any mention of either on the manufacturers websites. Maybe I have no imagination, but I thought it was a lot easier to shop for products which already exist.
If OP wanted to do it the easy way, he would have bought off-the-shelf speakers a long time ago, and he SURE wouldn't have invited ongoing commentary from this worldwide gaggle of squabblers and nitpickers. ;)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You clearly are not in with the right crowd. :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If OP wanted to do it the easy way, he would have bought off-the-shelf speakers a long time ago, and he SURE wouldn't have invited ongoing commentary from this worldwide gaggle of squabblers and nitpickers. ;)
Don't take my comment as a criticism of the OP. It's just a statement of how different we are.

Da cynics

I had the impression that you wanted something other than the standard radiation pattern.
So Elac seemed surprising.

How about this one that's getting rave reviews.

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
"I bring a speaker to a show that I've never listened to" - this does not compute with me. Hopefully an overstatement.

Even if that approach were technically possible (personally I don't think that will bring you all the way), I'm confused that you're not more interested in the music and the result of your work - surely you'd be interested in listening to music on what you create? After all that is the point of the speaker?

poopy

Don't take my comment as a criticism of the OP. It's just a statement of how different we are.
In general, there is always an expectation that what is not released yet will be better in some sense.

Concerning DD, I think MKR is right to wait and see the coming bigger model. Some of the weaknesses of the 8C should be addressed. Further, MKR, apparently like me, can't live with the idea to have less than 12'' woofers in his room...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I found that when I waited for some item of unreleased gear that more often than not I was disappointed.
Just the opposite here, had to wait for the kiis, D&D, Mantas and they all turned out to be better than I could have hoped for, I have been disappointed with existing equipment that hasn’t lived up to its marketing.
Keith

poopy

I found that when I waited for some item of unreleased gear that more often than not I was disappointed.

It depends I think. Most speaker brands for the average audiophile tend to release speakers with enhanced treble a la B&W, Focal, Sonus Faber, etc... So yes, new models may indeed 'sound' worse than the previous ones.

For monitors, it seems that there is often improvements in design. Either long-time existing brands (like Amphion with their cardioid Krypton 3X, Neumann with the yet to be released KH310/KH420 II with DSP) or more recent brands like Sigberg Audio or Bjorn's speakers with more advanced designs. These new brands set the bare very high in my opinion. Which is a good thing.

Reactions: MKR

poopy

Just the opposite here, had to wait for the kiis, D&D, Mantas and they all turned out to be better than I could have hoped for, I have been disappointed with existing equipment that hasn’t lived up to its marketing.
Keith
I wouldn't mind a pair of ATC SCM150A pro besides my Mantas though :p

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
D&D should release the new monitors sooner than they planned just for MKR so he could finally make a decision and we could all relax at last
Well at least until I start a similar thread for my own quest
;)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I wouldn't mind a pair of ATC SCM150A pro besides my Mantas though :p
One of the manufacturers I was expecting more from, having been told by a couple of visiting engineers that their mid dome would surpass everything else.

Keith

kma100

Forum Donor
"I bring a speaker to a show that I've never listened to" - this does not compute with me. Hopefully an overstatement.

Even if that approach were technically possible (personally I don't think that will bring you all the way), I'm confused that you're not more interested in the music and the result of your work - surely you'd be interested in listening to music on what you create? After all that is the point of the speaker?
I suspect this is more a reflection on measurements. "I measure my speakers so have xx% confidence the will sound great".

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith
That's an interesting response from a retailer because you can't sell what you don't have.

poopy

One of the manufacturers I was expecting more from, having been told by a couple of visiting engineers that their mid dome would surpass everything else.

Keith

Measurements I could find

Attachments

• 001792-0.jpg
    001792-0.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 65

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There isn‘t a plethora of ATC measurements.
Keith

Top Bottom