• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
MKR didn’t you say somewhere in maybe the previous thread that the Salon 2 did not sound good in one room at a show?
Indeed, at AXPONA last year, good memory. Hence the reason I said to take my comments with grain of salt (which goes for me also!). You cannot make a final judgement with show auditions, unless of course you have been to more than one show and heard same speakers, a bit more justified in that case. But still, always try for extensive session at dealer or in home demo if at all possible prior to final decision

mglobe

Forum Donor
(Blowing out my torch and placing the pitchfork back on its rack in the shed). Thanks for a detailed, exhaustive, but not overly long summary. Sounds lie you and your sons had a pretty great time. I have enjoyed this entire journey, but find it a bit worrisome that your top two choices don't actually exist yet. I mean, there is always something better coming over the horizon, so I hope those options are accessible VERY soon!
Reading between the lines here, I’m pretty certain MKR knows a fair amount about the timeline on his top options.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Indeed. Exceptionally well done. But to write for a commercial audio magazine he would need to learn the fine art of raving about speakers he doesn’t care for, and leaving clues in between the lines that say “run away”. :D
Thanks for the kind words, I really do appreciate. And indeed, I could never write for one of the audiophool mags, wouldn’t be able to sleep at night, and if I did sleep, it’s probably because I told the truth and would be fired quickly.

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Excellent report
You should write for Stereophile or something ;)
Thank you sir … I would likely be shown the door quickly at Stereophile, just after I poo poo’ed their beloved Wilsons :p

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
(Blowing out my torch and placing the pitchfork back on its rack in the shed). Thanks for a detailed, exhaustive, but not overly long summary. Sounds lie you and your sons had a pretty great time. I have enjoyed this entire journey, but find it a bit worrisome that your top two choices don't actually exist yet. I mean, there is always something better coming over the horizon, so I hope those options are accessible VERY soon!
No need to worry, but I appreciate your concern :) … in reality my top choices do exist in the sense of the attributes that I value most. But sure, who knows what may be over the horizon, you could say same for all choices in life. But at some point it must end as I am ready to start enjoying some music and movies!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That was very fun to read MKR, well done!

Even for sheer entertainment, it's interesting to read someone's opinions on various speakers once you've got to know something about those opinions. It becomes not just "how did those speakers sound" but "I wonder which speakers he'll like."

Thanks for including the Joseph room in your impressions, given my request/suggestion. You mention "nice detail and extension on high end." That's one of the things I value. I don't like obviously bright speakers, but I really don't want "dark" sounding speakers. I really like speakers that have that "spark of life" in the highs where something can just jump out in a surprising and realistic fashion.

I'd followed reports and videos of the show and those Soundfield horn loaded ribbon speakers really caught my attention. What an intriguing design I would have loved to check those out.

Reactions: MKR

kma100

Forum Donor
@MKR - did you say the Soundfield Titans had TWELVE 12" woofers? Per speaker?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Intrigued by the Elac report. Haven’t heard much about them and wondering how the floor standers would sound. (Cost)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Intrigued by the Elac report. Haven’t heard much about them and wondering how the floor standers would sound. (Cost)
I hadn’t heard much either, but given the performance, I expect will be nearing more about them going forward. Would be great for Amir or Erin to get these to measure. As to floorstanders, I am sure will be very good also, with more output ability for larger rooms.

Note there was also a smaller monitor, the Vela BS404,2 ($3.5k) that was good but definitely preferred the larger Concentro (which also had the tweeter in a wave guide that I am sure made a positive difference).

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hadn’t heard much either, but given the performance, I expect will be nearing more about them going forward. Would be great for Amir or Erin to get these to measure. As to floorstanders, I am sure will be very good also, with more output ability for larger rooms.

Note there was also a smaller monitor, the Vela BS404,2 ($3.5k) that was good but definitely preferred the larger Concentro (which also had the tweeter in a wave guide that I am sure made a positive difference).
Just realizing that “waveguide”
Is a mid driver for that “compact” JET tweeter

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Yup, well aware of this, and I cannot explain. Very poor measurement no doubt about it, and should be very audible, which I certainly did not hear in my short time at the show. I was a bit off axis though so maybe part of the explanation? Anyway, simple to say my listening experience does not match what I heard, and I have no explanation. Couple possibilities can think of … One, ELAC rep stated this was newer version and maybe they made some changes? Second, maybe some EQ was implemented? Or … maybe the measurement is wrong (though unlikely)? I was actually not aware of these measurements until few days ago, as I was also curious. If I had known I certainly would have asked the rep about them. Ironic thing is these measurements better represent the very unpleasant Borresen monitors I heard rather than the ELACs :facepalm:

I am going to try to reach out to ELAC US rep to see if I can get to bottom of this. Keep everyone posted. Funny thing is if I had known about those measurements prior I likely would not even had taken the time to listen to the speakers!

Last edited:

flysouth

iaw show was my first experience into the world of authentic audio outside of Magnolia or reviews I see online... did any of you go to the Margules room? The end of show podcast below mentions them at the very beginning. Cant remember if I saw that room but I did see most of the ones mentioned and agree with your thoughts on MBL and magico

This is an interesting watch on your best of show. They were built in three days and he does not even listen to what he builds.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
iaw show was my first experience into the world of authentic audio outside of Magnolia or reviews I see online... did any of you go to the Margules room? The end of show podcast below mentions them at the very beginning. Cant remember if I saw that room but I did see most of the ones mentioned and agree with your thoughts on MBL and magico

This is an interesting watch on your best of show. They were built in three days and he does not even listen to what he builds.

Doesn’t listen to what he (I assume you mean Soundfield) builds? Sorry, not following. But indeed, these were put together at last minute as the cabinets were very late to arrive, hence reason I stated they were prototypes (which they certainly are, work in progress). Note that first video is mostly a bunch of audiophoolery nonsense, from far from objective folks, take it all with a grain of salt. I cringed especially as soon as I heard hotel power being an issue (so of course you then need kilobuck power conditioning) and “x” cables made a huge difference :facepalm:

Last edited:

flysouth

You have to ignore the power n cable talk. Did anyone see the Margules set up?...or hear it. I have not found a summary on them...interesting gear. The designer said @ 1 min 45seconds that the science approach is what they do and never listen to the speaker but instead measure it. Sorry I had to find it been watching a lot of show recap .

Top Bottom