• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree with this, that DIYers at their best are besting the commercial efforts.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really. Genelec the ones are ahead of anything any other brand is doing and is certainly ahead of any DIY efforts.

KEF Blades are basically advanced allien civilization level of technology compared to what DIYers typically do.

Maybe the Revel Salon 2 are more realistic in terms of what a DIYer can do if cost is no objection. But that's already a 15 year old design.
Don’t forget those magical 3-way KEF coaxes that are for in-wall!

Jukka

KEF drivers can be bought and used in DIY. Accuton sells SOTA ceramics. SB Acoustics and SEAS have a fine range of graphene coated drivers. Scan Speak has been making top drivers for decades now. Multiple entry horns and ATH are far more advanced most people realize, still available for DIY, but as commercial products 30k is no where near enough.

The materials cost for a commercial speaker is about 10-20 % of the final price. Other factors are work (wages), logistics, retailers share and profit. It's obvious that you can save money if you can Do It Yourself (DIY), if you know what you are doing.

For the gallery effort here is my personally made DIY speaker set with dsp amps, totalled less than 4500 EUR. This is an end game set (for the most at least).
IMG_20230102_135417~2.jpg

Pic taken while testing the woofer capabilities with separate amp, but it's designed to run from the plate amp in the upper box.

Ra1zel

Of course
Not really. Genelec the ones are ahead of anything any other brand is doing and is certainly ahead of any DIY efforts.
Absolutely not true, not even a single genelec speaker approaches true minimum phase speaker since they don't use linear phase crossovers. Kii, GGNTKT use more advanced concepts and executions in their speakers like beamshaping using DSP.
KEF Blades are basically advanced allien civilization level of technology compared to what DIYers typically do.
I'd say what DIYers can do is alien level civilization in comparison to passive, coaxial KEF. DIYers do stuff like multiple entry waveguide, something you won't even find commercialy yet.

Maybe it's finally time for non DIYers to finally get honest and admit that they have no clue what they are talking about. Speaker building is absolutely not equivalent of building SpaceX rockets or Formula 1 cars, nor is there any mystic legendary knowledge monopolized by pro companies used in their creation. Remember every company even Genelec has to make a product that makes a sense in the market and that will make money. Sound will always be a step lower on the priority ladder for any commercial endeavor.

Ra1zel

Also how do you people think most pro companies come into being?

Hint: Look at Dutch&Dutch history and what kind of speaker they menaged to make.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Maybe it's finally time for non DIYers to finally get honest and admit that they have no clue what they are talking about.
Guilty as charged.

Do you have an example of a DIY effort that would beat a 8361 in the Klippel NFS?

Everett T

Forum Donor
Guilty as charged.

Do you have an example of a DIY effort that would beat a 8361 in the Klippel NFS?
What do you mean beat? If you're just talking about measuring better there are systems out there that best them, how would you suggest they designers go about proving it to you since they don't have a Klippel?

dshreter

What do you mean beat? If you're just talking about measuring better there are systems out there that best them, how would you suggest they designers go about proving it to you since they don't have a Klippel?
I’m not Rednaxela, but forgetting Klippel what are some of the DIY designs you think are most impressive in terms of performance and that would compare favorably against 8361 or other top tier commercial designs?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Yes measuring better.

I can’t help that DIY-ers generally don’t have a Klippel but then again this was not my claim:
Best DIY efforts of today are ahead of best commercial efforts

Everett T

Forum Donor
Yes measuring better.

I can’t help that DIY-ers generally don’t have a Klippel but then again this was not my claim:
I asked how you expect that comparison to happen because *you did* pose that question. ;⁠)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Well I was not actually asking for proof. Just an example and some data indicating that it could be a contender would be fine for me.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Better" is a relative term in need of some context. Compression/dynamic capability in 8361 is only good for its size, not in absolute terms. Any speaker with a compression driver or a large-format bass driver will do better here. In terms of directivity you'll find many speakers with better controlled directivity further down the frequency range simply due to wider baffle.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not even a single genelec speaker approaches true minimum phase speaker since they don't use linear phase crossovers. Kii, GGNTKT use more advanced concepts and executions in their speakers like beamshaping using DSP.

There is little evidence that phase shift is audible in-room, and ever tinier evidence that phase shift has a negative effect on listener preference. And your statement about Genelec not approaching minimum phase is incorrect. They do linearize the phase of their crossovers.

1672817962566.png

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DIYers do stuff like multiple entry waveguide, something you won't even find commercialy yet.

Where? Honestly every time i mentioned 3D-printing or Aluminum milling to a DIY builder they changed the topic quickly. The closest I've ever seen someone making a custom waveguide was a plaster molding of a waveguide here of a Geddes design https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...constant-directivity-2-way-à-la-geddes.18685/

As for multiple entry waveguides not being a thing commercially, you're wrong too. Perlisten has been doing it for a long time already with great results.

perlisten_technology-1.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a pretty neat design!

I don't really think DIY'ers can't make an endgame system. It's just not that easy, takes knowledge and resources. Only a few are capable of creating really good systems, and those people spend considerable time and resources on these projects. Not just anyone can build these systems. Neither can just any company build an endgame speaker. Only a few really do.

Top Bottom