• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Encode audio in S/PDIF format

OP
P

Pavel_47

You may want to try the DIY section; this area is generally for commercial products (consumers, not designers or manufacturers).
You're right. I'm new to this forum and haven't explored all the sections while creating this thread. Is it possible to transfer this thread to DIY?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
You're right. I'm new to this forum and haven't explored all the sections while creating this thread. Is it possible to transfer this thread to DIY?
Maybe ask the admins to delete this thread and start a new one in the DIY section where you actually specify details of what you are trying to accomplish.
Also, don't assume anything you are trying to design is outside the scope of this forum. There are talented engineers from all over the world and their expertise spans many different areas of engineering. They just happen to share a love of all things audio.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I assume that at the beginning I wasn't clear, but concerning to spec I presented them before:
(1) MIC (digital or analog) ->MIC AFE (if analog) ->CODEC-> line driver -------- channel ---------> (2) line receiver->CODEC->DAC ->AMP->Speaker
(1) Speaker <- AMP <- DAC<- CODEC <- line reciever <----------- channel ------------ (2) line driver <- CODEC <- MIC AFE (if analog) <- MIC (digital or analog)
(1) device 1, (2): device 2
Probably one more detail: the channel is not cable, nor twisted pair, but light.
In other words, you will be drastically modifying SPDIF over TOSLINK and you call that a detail?

Besides, why use a method designed for transmitting 20-bit audio data streams instead of creating your own format? You are not concerned with compatibility do you?

OP
P

Pavel_47

In other words, you will be drastically modifying SPDIF over TOSLINK and you call that a detail?
What exactly I modify drastically ?
SPDIF provides a digital stream where audio information is encoded.
Does applying this stream to a powerful LED instead of applying this stream to a laser (or whatever active device that injects light into an optical cable) drastically change the transmission chain? In my app the optical cable merely disappears. How to drive the LEDs is another issue, unrelated to this forum.
Besides, why use a method designed for transmitting 20-bit audio data streams instead of creating your own format? You are not concerned with compatibility do you?
In my previous post today, I rephrased the problem, trying to get as close to the main thing as possible, omitting minor details:
find a solution as efficient as possible (means the least components and the least expensive) which does 2 things: (1) convert mic signal to 1-wire digital stream (2) convert 1-wire digital stream to analog audio signal
The resolution of the audio is not an essential detail. Any other suggestions that help realize the main concept using, say, an 8...16-bit stream are welcome.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to have this all figured out, good luck :rolleyes:

OP
P

Pavel_47

You seem to have this all figured out, good luck
Thanks for the good luck. Regarding "figured out" ... if anyone has any suggestion on transforming audio to 1-wire stream and vice versa at the lowest price, it is still welcome.

OP
P

Pavel_47

Something like this?
Looks very nice. Thanks !!!
Good starting point for signaling chain. It remains to find something so compact that converts I2S to 1-wire digital flux and vice versa.

Top Bottom