• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Enabling Bluetooth connectivity for a non Bluetooth-enabled TT?

"Want to play your vinyl records on a Bluetooth speaker or set of wireless headphones?"

That's from ad copy for the McIntosh MB20. They seems to claim that this device can be used to connect a non Bluetooth-enabled TT to a pair of Bluetooth speakers.

I realize I could be reading way too much into that 15-word sentence.... But anyway. Is this true? Can this device give wireless connectivity to a non Bluetooth-enabled TT?

Because my 'listening room' is very small library/study, I can't afford to traipse speaker cables all over. I know Bluetooth connectivity for audiophiles is counter-intuitive & sails straight up your butts :eek:) but I can't help it. I'm not as sophisticated as this crowd, nor do I aspire to be.

I own a Music Hall MMF-7.3. My objective, if possible, is to connect it via Bluetooth to some KEF LSX-IIs in this small room. From what I've read, I believe the MB20 will allow me to do this. But I have no idea, which is why I came here.

I know the MB20 doesn't have a phono preamp. Would this work --
  • Running the TT through a preamp
  • THEN through the MB20
  • Finally out to the amp
Would that be sufficient to broadcast the TT to the KEFs? Or Is that nonsensical? If it will not work, why? (Please explain it to me as you would a child....)

Please, help me avoid buying it & finding out it doesn't do what I'd like it to do.

If only one person here knows the answer, please reply, I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It seems similar to the Fiio BTA30 Pro which I think is the only bluetooth transmitter we've seem measured. I think it should work, assuming I haven't misunderstood 'finally out to the amp' - I take that to mean to the LSX via bluetooth? I don't have experience with any of these products though.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hello and welcome to ASR. :)
Is this true? Can this device give wireless connectivity to a non Bluetooth-enabled TT?
Yes, it's true... although there are many cheaper analog in BT transmitters available.

For example, you could use something simple like this ($14.39), which can be a receiver or transmitter;

ugreen-bluetooth-50-transmitter-and-receiver-921692.png

It has a battery (continuously for 15 hours or stand by for 200 hours) which is charged by a USB-C cable, but you could probably run it connected to power all the time. If not, there are others you could search for.

You could have the turntable RCA out going to a phono preamp, then the RCA out to a cable like this;

61x63-EDMBL._SL1200_.jpg

Then to the transmitter above, which will pair via BT to the KEF LSX-II active (i.e. inbuilt amplification) speakers. Or to a BT enabled integrated amp then to some passive speakers, or to a BT enabled DAC to a power amp and then passive speakers.

I hope this helps you explore this or further options.

JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
phono preamp
phono stage
Absolutely, worth re-iterating. :)

In my haste the other day, I failed to remember this product;
  • Connect your turntable wirelessly
  • Bluetooth 5.2 streaming with aptX Adaptive and HD support
  • 2 Inputs: 1 Phono and 1 Line Input
  • Suitable for MM cartridges
  • Precise RIAA equalisation