• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva BasX A-300, looking to upgrade

Mythy

Hello everyone, I have a modest setup and am looking for more detail and clarity in my music/movies. I have SVS Ultra bookshelfs (and a pair of Polk LSi 703) that I rotate between and a SVS 12 inch sealed subwoofer in the lower right corner. They are being powered by an Emotiva A-300 stereo amp and that is being fed by a Burson Audio Conductor 3 Reference DAC/AMP for desktop use in a 14x14 ft room. I have been chasing treble and detail lately as I have been missing that clarity and sparkle in my setup. The only budget item I have left to replace is the amp. Looking for detail and clarity without any warmth as my room seems to be an acoustic nightmare with warmer speakers. I have a massive boost around the 350-500Hz range that I EQ out. Looking for recommendations around the $1000 mark and any advice you guys can give on my speaker angles and positioning. Speakers are 7FT apart on center, desk is 13FT in total.

Another quick question, I have a faint but constant hum through my speakers. It is being caused by the subwoofer. My RCA feed the subwoofer then go from the subwoofer to the amp. I can lessen the hum by using a RCA splitter and using 2 cable sets to feed the amp and sub separately but only by disconnecting the sub RCA's entirely can I eliminate the hum. (Or by unplugging the subs power cord. I have also tried removing the ground from the subwoofer with no effect. Ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_0213.JPG

garbulky

Major Contributor
If you want something cheap, I switched to the ankher liberty pro 3 earbuds and set the eq to "deep". I use it for the PC. They compete with the sound of my HD800S, but provide better more extended low bass. It sounds amazing in movies too. (all subjective impressions).

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audioholics has a good article on how to eliminate ground loops:

Top Bottom