• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Embracing Simplicity in Audio: Anyone Else Skipping Room Correction, Measurement Microphones, and the Like?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there others out there who, like me, choose to forgo room correction, measurement microphones, and other sophisticated tools in favor of a more straightforward audio experience? I'd love to hear about your approaches, experiences, and the reasoning behind your decision.
yes there are others: me, quite often.

Here's one of those 'experiences': I did setup roomcorrection (AVR) and it did sound good. Particularly the improvements in bass and imaging/soundstage were fairly easy to hear and welcome (although the room is symetric, big enough and generally pretty good for audio).
And then, at some point, the AVR room correction was disabled. Do not even remember when/why I did it ... or may have been the kids playing with the remote. Point is, I did not notice and/or forgot about it and needed a few months to find out.
In the meantime, the whole family enjoyed the usual music/movies/tv .. same as much.

Guess that could be an example of "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" :)

Last edited:

izeek

i like the idea of simplicity but it can be elusive.
ive been struggling to understand and use rew forever. got the equipment, took measurements, then couldnt figure wtf to do after that.
there doesn't seem to be a causational relevance to me afterwards. nothing ive read says "do this because of this" or use thi filter because of this.
maybe im not putting in enough effort because i like what i hear so far.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
All you are looking for are large peaks ( much larger in amplitude compared to the general trend of the response) frequently left and right channels may have a peak at the same frequency these are almost certainly standing wave derived from the room’s physical dimensions.
Be aware that REW is measurement software and although it can create filters it can’t actually implement them.
Keith

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
And then, at some point, the AVR room correction was disabled. Do not even remember when/why I did it ... or may have been the kids playing with the remote. Point is, I did not notice and/or forgot about it and needed a few months to find out.

Multi-thousand dollar cables are sold on weaker evidence than this ;)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always considered myself an early adopter, perhaps even an avant-gardist, when it comes to hi-fi technology. Over the course of the hi-fi journey, there have been paradigm shifts – the transition to CDs, later embracing streaming, and the shift from bulky floor-standing speakers to sleek active monitors, just to name a few.

In my experience, I've found success in keeping my signal paths straightforward. I've been hesitant to transform my regular home listening environment into an acoustic laboratory with heavy computer usage or reliance on proprietary DSP products. Call me old-fashioned, but I value the simplicity of my setup.

Are there others out there who, like me, choose to forgo room correction, measurement microphones, and other sophisticated tools in favor of a more straightforward audio experience? I'd love to hear about your approaches, experiences, and the reasoning behind your decision.

Is simplicity still a virtue in the ever-evolving landscape of audio technology?
In short yes. I'm now reduced to a DAC, PI streamer, and wall mounted Genelec monitors. I've never been happier with a system.

Jaxjax

I've always considered myself an early adopter, perhaps even an avant-gardist, when it comes to hi-fi technology. Over the course of the hi-fi journey, there have been paradigm shifts – the transition to CDs, later embracing streaming, and the shift from bulky floor-standing speakers to sleek active monitors, just to name a few.

In my experience, I've found success in keeping my signal paths straightforward. I've been hesitant to transform my regular home listening environment into an acoustic laboratory with heavy computer usage or reliance on proprietary DSP products. Call me old-fashioned, but I value the simplicity of my setup.

Is simplicity still a virtue in the ever-evolving landscape of audio technology?
I also totally respect this approach & have took it to over the top extremes in days past. Nowadays I just run actives with pro analog EQ.. After fighting with Dirac I inserted an Elysia xfilter & never looked back. Totaly set & forget. I'm about 50-50 now with vinyl & laptop digital via amazon music. I use all common pro xlr cables & Radial j33 phono pre which is also xlr out. My view nowadays is I wouldn't run a main 2 channel system without EQ be it digital or analog & preferably analog. I also don't shoot for flat... I get close as I can then tune by ear with very slight adjustments then set & forget. No room correction filter I've ever tried that was generated for me thru measurements sounded good to me . all sounded dead .....wrong whatever. My viny; beats my digital 50 % of the time because the recordings I have on vinyl are not available easy for me in exact transfer of the versions I have on most. I could transfer all mine myself....& maybe will when I get to old to run the TT. I feel my system is the simplest it has been in a very long time.
Audio is a interesting ride with music being a main part of my life for over 50 years
Joe

Top Bottom