• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

hatsmer

Hi guys,

First time poster... Looking for some advice about a headphone stack. I've been reading a LOT the last few days but I could do with some guidance and appreciate whatever help you can give :)

I have bought a pair of Focal Elears at a good price and I am looking for a dac (and possibly an amp?) for my pc (but I may use it in other situations later so I'm not going to skimp). I also don't want to get something at 2/3rds the price like the D50 and have to upgrade it later to something like a D70 when I want better sound. I mainly listen to music while using the computer/gaming. I would appreciate any help you could give me :)

I'm in Australia if that helps regarding brands/warranty/product. I was thinking of buying from ShenzenAudio on amazon.com.au

1) I have heard that the D70 is far better through the balanced outputs. This is the 2 XLR L/R ports correct?
2) I have heard that balanced cables use +/- on separate pins to help the drivers move better, is that correct?
3) I have heard of people partnering the D50 (or D70) with the JDS Atom amp. If I take the balanced XLR into an amp like the JDS how does it stay balanced? It seems to use RCA L/R inputs. Are they balanced? I thought only XLR supported balanced signals because it had multiple pins? Can RCA and 1/4" L/R carry balanced signals? They seem to only have 1 pin/2 zones? I thought 1/4" analog plugs are segmented into 2 zones For L, R... but then how is +L, -L, +R, -R carried? I am confused.
4) My elears came with a 1/4" to 2 x 1/8" plug, will I need to change that? What do i need to buy? A D70? New Cables? A headphone amp?

Thanks so much for any light this awesome community can shed.

Veri

Master Contributor
Atom is not balanced. You would need to go D70 RCA to Atom inputs. Or get a balanced amp, like the $299 drop THX 789.

The headphone cable is another matter. Yours is single ended (1/4) so cannot be used with 4-pin XLR output. The Atom only has an 1/4 output though, which is fine.

Finally, balanced does not make your drivers 'move' better. It only gives more power: + and - instead of single ended, so double the power. For connecting devices, the + and - can also cancel out noise (common mode noise) which is why all pro and studio gear is balanced.

For consumer/home audio though, single ended tends to work 'fine' and a whole lot cheaper. You do not need recording studio grade stuff for music/gaming :)

Top Bottom