• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-fi 2.0 announced

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Today, ELAC Americas has announced v2.0 of their Uni-Fi series of loudspeakers.

The new range of Uni-Fi 2.0 comprises of:
- UB52 bookshelf (US$599/pair) (CAD$799/pair) (£549/pair)
- UF52 floorstander (US$1,198/pair) (CAD$1,598/pair) (£1,099/pair)
- UC52 centre (US$399/each) (CAD$549/each) (£299/each)

US:
https://www.elac.com/lp/uni-fi2/

CAD:
https://www.elac.com/lp/uni-fi2-ca/

1599029177652.jpeg
1599030137877.png

Looks like it’s available to order now!

Previous generation will be on sale.

EDIT:
Added other currencies.

Last edited:

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ron Brenay at New Record Day has the gated outdoor measurements for the UB52 bookshelves here:

and the UF52 floorstanders here:

Shazb0t

If they keep the tonality and dispersion of the UB5 but fix the distortion spikes with the driver/crossover changes then this could be a really awesome speaker at its price point.

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

Yeah, the pricing seems strange. Maybe the correlated price and performance in their lineup and noticed that as their speakers got more expensive they performed worse. So if they come out with a new speaker just make it cost less and it will be better!

1599113075595.png

But on a serious note, as you said I wonder where this leaves the Debut Reference line for Elac. Across the lineup they are so close in price I'm calling it the same.
Probably discontinued but hopefully discounted, which would make them an even better deal. Or if discontinued hopefully the new ones live up to the hype. I'm not going to hold me breath. :)

Newman

Major Contributor
Yeah, the pricing seems strange. ...But on a serious note, as you said I wonder where this leaves the Debut Reference line for Elac. Across the lineup they are so close in price I'm calling it the same.
Probably discontinued but hopefully discounted, which would make them an even better deal. Or if discontinued hopefully the new ones live up to the hype. I'm not going to hold me breath. :)
I expect they will continue to coexist, just like the previous model Uni-Fi coexisted with DBR.

Coaxial speakers at this price point can be risky -- the LS50 did not get Amir's recommendation. Nor did the more expensive Elac Adante AS-61, which probably has a closely related coax driver to the new Uni-Fi 2.0 under discussion.

Whereas the DBR-62 is a proven winner on this site.

cheers

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

ttimer

Yeah, the pricing seems strange. Maybe the correlated price and performance in their lineup and noticed that as their speakers got more expensive they performed worse. So if they come out with a new speaker just make it cost less and it will be better!

Elac seems perfectly fine with having multiple speakers in the same price bracket coexist. Keep in mind that there is also the Slim (European) version of the Uni-fi 1st edition, which is slightly more expensive but has a nicer cabinet.
Further up the range, they have overlap in pricing between both Carina and Line models, as well as Vela and 312 models.

On a related note, i would love to see a spin of the Carina. Waveguided ribbon tweeter, chamfered cabinet, Andrew Jones design, on-axis measurements look very good, could be a great speaker.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm this is a very important speaker to test! Any chance of you ordering 1?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Is it me, or does the tweeter look forward of the termination point between it and the midrange (waveguide)? If so, that doesn't seem ideal. But I would expect it's designed that way for a reason...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it me, or does the tweeter look forward of the termination point between it and the midrange (waveguide)? If so, that doesn't seem ideal. But I would expect it's designed that way for a reason...
Also thought the same, the not so stellar angle measurements on the 2nd post might confirm that.

wje

Forum Donor
I wonder if, for the bookshelf model, the new Uni-Fi model will replace both the standard one, and the "slim" model, which sold for about $250 more? The slim model had a slightly taller cabinet and a better finish option (satin black or satin white paint, I believe). Ironically, the Uni-Fi "slim" was the only Elec model that Best Buy had in the store that one could demo - though, it was separate from their regular listening rooms. I guess they wanted you to buy the $1,500 - $2,000 pair of speakers and not hear how well a $750 speaker could compare to the other. :eek:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Hmmm... I have owned the original Unifi bookies and the Debut 2.0 5" bookies and thought the Unifi sounded metallic and shout-y and the Debut sounded just OK in a very pedestrian box. I happen to be in the market for a new front 3 in my home theater / 2nd listening room and have been pondering the Debut Reference along with the Revel F206, Dynaudio Evoke 30, and KEF R5. Now I'm wondering about the new Unifi floorstanders. Just how little money can I spend and be satisfied? I wonder if these are worth looking into?

Top Bottom