• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-fi 2.0 announced

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

lightpsycho

weird that it’s the same price as the Debut Reference bookshelf, and these new tower are actually $100 more expensive.

But yes, would be very interested to see how it stacks up to the DBR62.

I too am dying to know about this. Having listened to the DBR62, I fell in love with them. I never listened to the original unifi, and I'm trying to know how the 2.0's tonal characteristics compares to the DBR. I emailed ELAC about this but got a very bland response which means almost...nothing:

"Hello,

The UniFi 2.0 have a similar tonal character to the Debut Reference speaker. The UniFi 2.0 is better for music as it is a 3-way speaker design where the Debut Reference is a 2-ways speaker.
Also the UniFi 2.0 has a concentric mounted tweeter and midrange driver which gives it really good sound stage and imaging.

For dual use Music and home theater either one can be used. Go with the Debut Reference if you prefer a nicer looking real wood veneer cabinet.
Go with the UniFI 2.0 if having the best sound quality is the number one thing for you.

Respectfully,
ELAC Customer Service"

I mean... seriously?!?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too am dying to know about this. Having listened to the DBR62, I fell in love with them. I never listened to the original unifi, and I'm trying to know how the 2.0's tonal characteristics compares to the DBR. I emailed ELAC about this but got a very bland response which means almost...nothing:

"Hello,

The UniFi 2.0 have a similar tonal character to the Debut Reference speaker. The UniFi 2.0 is better for music as it is a 3-way speaker design where the Debut Reference is a 2-ways speaker.
Also the UniFi 2.0 has a concentric mounted tweeter and midrange driver which gives it really good sound stage and imaging.

For dual use Music and home theater either one can be used. Go with the Debut Reference if you prefer a nicer looking real wood veneer cabinet.
Go with the UniFI 2.0 if having the best sound quality is the number one thing for you.

Respectfully,
ELAC Customer Service"

I mean... seriously?!?
They just did an AMA on Reddit, and asking for a difference between these models was the top upvoted question, and they didn't answer it. Andrew Jones did say the differences he made compared to the old model (mainly he reduced the peaking at 2kHz as well as better controlled the directivity at 2kHz as well).

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
What we're going to hear is Uni-Fi is more geared toward "Music" and for people with hefty amplifiers since they're harder to drive. Though if the DBR goes on sale first that'll be what I check out first. I think they should have made it an option to get a better finish on these even if it cost more.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would agree, it does seem like they are trying to give a 'higher performance' VS looks choice in the Uni 2.0 VS Debut Reference. We will just have to see if that actually plays out once people start to get their hands on the new ones. This does feel like an exceptionally low price point for a 3 way w/coax mid/hi. Which might make it difficult to not compromise too much. I hope they perform well! Well performing options at good price points is never a bad thing. 3 way center options at reasonable price points are especially hard to come by. If these perform OK, they would probably meet my listening levels and have a 3 way center in a pretty small footprint, at a price point I'm OK with.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Binaural recording blind test with old vs. new Uni-Fi

and the solution:

In my quick listening though the old ones seem to have a balance error, hope it was a misplacement of the mic rather than a loudspeaker defect.

vidya46

Forum Donor
Thanks for that..Prefer speaker B..guessing that’s the new Unifi

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Binaural recording blind test with old vs. new Uni-Fi

and the solution:

In my quick listening though the old ones seem to have a balance error, hope it was a misplacement of the mic rather than a loudspeaker defect.

I am not at all a believer in YouTube listening tests, but I did listen to those through headphones. I could clearly hear what I didn't like about the original Uni-Fi. The new one does appear to have corrected those problems. I will be interested to hear them in a room.

radio3

I hope they come out with a white model again (i.e., like the previous Slim).

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 vs Original UB5.
-by JoeNTell (posted 3hrs ago).

He showed his in-room measurements at around 14min mark:
Green = Old UB5
Red = New UB52
1600465859296.png
Then he compared to Debut Reference at around 15min:30sec mark:
Red = New UB52
Green = Debut Reference
1600466001127.png

At the end of the clip, he ranked UB52 in terms of his preference against other speakers. Answer below:
JoeNTell ranked UB52 above (better ranking) than Debut Reference.
Overall, in terms of overall sound quality, JoeNTell ranked UB52 as 3rd-best speakers.

Last edited:

Tatteredmidnight

The UB5 for $300 is annoying tempting. I just picked up a pair of Studio 530s for $279 (refurb). Wonder how those compare at such a similar price. I’m running out of places to put speakers, so at least that reduces the temptation (gotta find a low profile solution for the wife so she can get music in the kitchen)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then he compared to Debut Reference at around 15min:30sec mark:
Must say the tonal balance looks quite good being more linear in the important range 100-1000 Hz, looking forward to see them measured here.

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Nice shout-out to Erin’s Audio Corner in that video review!

Last edited:

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What we're going to hear is Uni-Fi is more geared toward "Music" and for people with hefty amplifiers since they're harder to drive.
If you actually see the video I linked on the second post, you can see that they're much easier to drive than the Debut Reference series.

Top Bottom