• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

mattzildjian

It was 300,00 €/pair at Saturn/Mediamarkt.de for nearly a year, now it is 598,00 €/pair.
Read through this thread, posts in June 2023, 300,00 €/ pair and lower was standard.
Dealers read ASR too!
Are you suggesting that I wait for these prices to come back?

wyup

They are charging higher because they found out they are so coveted and regarded here at ASR

Wait for 15% coupon special weekend at hidden audio and grab a pair, as I did for 320€ shipping included. I think I saw a further discount earlier this year for about 280€ there, I remember I told a friend.

Even if you pay 600€, they are worth it.
If you like V-sound you'll find them boring.
But plan for spending double on an amp that makes them justice, to render a meaty midrange and bass. Otherwise they'll sound flat IMHO.

Last edited:

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I paid £410 in the UK back in Feb and that was a shop display / return.
I can tell you they are strong. My dogs were arsing about last week and crashed into an unprotected stand (long story) and the whole thing fell over with the elac landing face down. The wave guide had fallen off, but readily clipped back in place, the drivers undamaged and only some very minor scuffs on the front baffle where the grill had taken the impact. No impact on SQ at all that I can detect, and I've pushed them as hard as I can way above 100db just to check.

mattzildjian

They are charging higher because they found out they are so coveted and regarded here at ASR

Wait for 15% coupon special weekend at hidden audio and grab a pair, as I did for 320€ shipping included. I think I saw a further discount earlier this year for about 280€ there, I remember I told a friend.

Even if you pay 600€, they are worth it.
But plan for spending double on an amp that makes them justice.
I was planning to use my Loxjie A30, will that not be enough?

CauliflowerEars

It was 300,00 €/pair at Saturn/Mediamarkt.de for nearly a year, now it is 598,00 €/pair.
Read through this thread, posts in June 2023, 300,00 €/ pair and lower was standard.
Dealers read ASR too!
Wow, 300 eur is incredibly cheap.
Hidden Audio is showing some B-stock for 200 eur.

CauliflowerEars

I was planning to use my Loxjie A30, will that not be enough?
If you can, best would be to order with a possibility to return. IMO, can’t make the right decision without listening (and actually feeling).

I’m currently testing Fosi V3 and Aiyima A07 with DBR62. My very first impressions are that A07 has more clarity and is better in the higher frequencies, balancing the DBR62’s laid back sound.

* My question to the more experienced:
Is it better to buy an amp that has a bit too much in the highs and then just EQ the highs down, rather than buying an amp that is balanced, but a little lacking in the highs and clarity?

Opal

If you can, best would be to order with a possibility to return. IMO, can’t make the right decision without listening (and actually feeling).

I’m currently testing Fosi V3 and Aiyima A07 with DBR62. My very first impressions are that A07 has more clarity and is better in the higher frequencies, balancing the DBR62’s laid back sound.

* My question to the more experienced:
Is it better to buy an amp that has a bit too much in the highs and then just EQ the highs down, rather than buying an amp that is balanced, but a little lacking in the highs and clarity?
An AMP should be flat in the frequency response not affecting any 'highs'

You can see the graph for urself here

CauliflowerEars

An AMP should be flat in the frequency response not affecting any 'highs'
What I am experiencing is actually what’s shown in V3’s graph, below. With A07 being bright, and V3 being dull with DBR62.

So my question was basically: would it be better to EQ a bright amp, rather than EQ a dull amp?

Frequency response shows load dependency which all class D amplifiers in this price range show:
Fosi Audio V3 stereo amplifier budget Frequency Response measurement.png

In English, this means that depending on which speaker you use, the sound may be a bit bright or a bit dull if your hearing extends to 20 kHz. You can counter with EQ (which you better have for good sound in your room).

Opal

What I am experiencing is actually what’s shown in V3’s graph, below. With A07 being bright, and V3 being dull with DBR62.

So my question was basically: would it be better to EQ a bright amp, rather than EQ a dull amp?

Frequency response shows load dependency which all class D amplifiers in this price range show:
Fosi Audio V3 stereo amplifier budget Frequency Response measurement.png

In English, this means that depending on which speaker you use, the sound may be a bit bright or a bit dull if your hearing extends to 20 kHz. You can counter with EQ (which you better have for good sound in your room).
Ah i see, my DBR has no audible difference using a Topping class d amp. My hearing max out at 17-18khz so the load dependency doesnt rly affect me and i would say the majority. Anway looks like EQing the A07 sounds more sensible and logical

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
Ah i see, my DBR has no audible difference using a Topping class d amp. My hearing max out at 17-18khz so the load dependency doesnt rly affect me and i would say the majority. Anway looks like EQing the A07 sounds more sensible and logical
Is there already a thread on how to implement EQ? I mean something like the most basic stuff, software/hardware options, etc
On several reviews I found indications on EQ which allow to improve the speaker's performance and this is really great, but I am not sure how or if this might be doable for people who know nothing about audio like myself, maybe I have overseen it and this topic has already been dealt with?

CauliflowerEars

Is there already a thread on how to implement EQ
I’m also new at EQing, but seems you can start with finding another person’s EQ settings and copy them. Then maybe modify to your taste.

What is your source and setup?
I use Wiim Mini to stream with and it has EQ and PEQ in its app, so might use that.

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
I also use Wiim Mini (through AirPlay2 with Apple Music).
What is the difference between EQ and PEQ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there already a thread on how to implement EQ? I mean something like the most basic stuff, software/hardware options, etc
On several reviews I found indications on EQ which allow to improve the speaker's performance and this is really great, but I am not sure how or if this might be doable for people who know nothing about audio like myself, maybe I have overseen it and this topic has already been dealt with?
Here's a list of EQ Software for all kinds of operating systems:

On Windows, Equalizer APO is the obvious choice if you don't need ASIO output.

On macOS, I prefer SoundSource.

There are also DACs that have EQ built-in, which might be easier to use as you don't have to setup any software.

Popular DACs with EQ are the RME ADI-2 DAC, Qudelix 5K, miniDSP 2x4HD, miniDSP Flex, WiiM Mini/Pro/Amp, etc.

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
Here's a list of EQ Software for all kinds of operating systems:

On Windows, Equalizer APO is the obvious choice if you don't need ASIO output.

On macOS, I prefer SoundSource.

There are also DACs that have EQ built-in, which might be easier to use as you don't have to setup any software.

Popular DACs with EQ are the RME ADI-2 DAC, Qudelix 5K, miniDSP 2x4HD, miniDSP Flex.
Thanks a lot!

Leo_Torres

Forum Donor
So I'm using the speakers this thread refer to (ELAC Debut DBR 62) with a Topping PA5 II Plus. Is there in this setup so to speak "room" to work with EQ? Meaning this is a match that can profit from EQ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I'm using the speakers this thread refer to (ELAC Debut DBR 62) with a Topping PA5 II Plus. Is there in this setup so to speak "room" to work with EQ? Meaning this is a match that can profit from EQ?
All setups can profit from EQ.

The biggest influence will come from room correction though, which requires that you measure your own in-room response using Room EQ Wizard and a microphone like the UMIK-1.

If you don't want to measure, then all you can do is correct the speakers' anechoic response as measured by Amir.

Top Bottom