• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also played with overlaying them. Here is the DBR62 in front and the S400 behind with a gaussian blur applied:

ELAC DBR62 Buchardt S400 Spin Overlay.png

Again I have to preface my comments with the fact that I have the DFR tower so it's possible it sounds different than the DBR bookshelf measured here. I doubt the differences are large.

S400 looks more energetic in the treble, but sounds smoother with less bite. I wonder if it has something to do with the drop in output from 1-4 kHz on the DBR, then the sudden directivity change and level increase at 4 kHz. It's like Andrew knew the directivity was widening where the tweeter took over so he padded down the output so it wouldn't get too bright.

Last edited:

BN1

Just ordered the UCR52. Will see if it sounds $200 better than the DCR52 :)
Looks like a good move.
I'm considering the same center as a step-up from Debut 5.2. Pls share your experiences, particularly with dialogue clarity.

BN1

Do you think the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UC52 would be better than the DCR52?
I asked that same question on an Elac Facebook page and AJ came back and replied that the Uni-Fi is a better center. Very likely due to the coaxial design. AJ frequently interacts with that group.

marcello252

please does anybody know how to unmount the woofer from cabinet without damaging the cabinet itself? I put out the screws and then I've tried several times but it seems it's glued on the chassis and the risk of making a ding seems very high

thank you in advance

Coke101

please does anybody know how to unmount the woofer from cabinet without damaging the cabinet itself? I put out the screws and then I've tried several times but it seems it's glued on the chassis and the risk of making a ding seems very high

thank you in advance

remove all the mounting screws on the woofer and the tweeter

on the tweeter there will be some small rubber inserts to hold the grill on carefully remove these.

Insert one of the tweeter mounting screws in hole where the grommet was and slowly thread in it should lift the tweeter from the enclosure, do it to opposite holes so tweeter can lift evenly

Disconnect the wires to the tweeter and reach in and push out the woofer from behind disconnect your wires on the woofer and your done !

marcello252

remove all the mounting screws on the woofer and the tweeter

on the tweeter there will be some small rubber inserts to hold the grill on carefully remove these.

Insert one of the tweeter mounting screws in hole where the grommet was and slowly thread in it should lift the tweeter from the enclosure, do it to opposite holes so tweeter can lift evenly

Disconnect the wires to the tweeter and reach in and push out the woofer from behind disconnect your wires on the woofer and your done !

Thank you!!! It worked like a charm!!!

PeterMac

Testing with Loxjie A30

20210812_150029.jpg

They are really powerfull speakers with big power on hit. But just a bit little to muffed on treble on Direct stock mode listening. I add +3dB on treble, also reduced bass -2dB and is now perfect sound. Little Loxjie is very powerfull amp. In near filed listening I listen at 20-22 volume (scale is 0 to 60). At 35 my ears bleeding :)
I consider test also Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and KEF Q100, but not sure is it worth how do you think ?

Last edited:

Upped

Thought I'd Just post the final EQ I've been rocking for a few months.
Top thing that sticks out to me is it removes a muddiness in the vocals in most songs.
Very slight nudge to the bass but still sounds clean and stock to me and doesn't muddy any other frequencies.

Gear:
PC > Topping E30 > Loxjie A30 > ELAC DBR-62
(EQ: Direct) (Nearfield)

Attachments

• ELAC DBR-62 BEST.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 222

PeterMac

Upped - these settings are for Equalizer APO ?

Eldus

Testing with Loxjie A30

View attachment 147586
They are really powerfull speakers with big power on hit. But just a bit little to muffed on treble on Direct stock mode listening. I add +3dB on treble, also reduced bass -2dB and is now perfect sound. Little Loxjie is very powerfull amp. In near filed listening I listen at 20-22 volume (scale is 0 to 60). At 35 my ears bleeding :)
I consider test also Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and KEF Q100, but not sure is it worth how do you think ?
If you take the grills off the sound changes.

Eldus

Top thing that sticks out to me is it removes a muddiness in the vocals in most songs.
Very slight nudge to the bass but still sounds clean and stock to me and doesn't muddy any other frequencies.

Gear:
Do you keep the grills on ? Also, what size room are you listening in?

Destination: Moon

I bring my pair outside onto the deck and drive them with the little DA9. They are pure magic. Really like them.
Rarely go above 34 on the amp but I guess that's kinda meaningless unless you know the input voltage

PeterMac

I had compare Elac DBR-62 to KEF IQ100 in nearfield listening on computer desk with Loxjie A30. And must say ELAC destroys KEF IQ100.
KEF's was too bright and fatigue with much worse bass, and power kick, they have great detail, but too much, and these fatigue me after few minutes.
On albums like Metallica - Metallica (Black album) they was so sharp and bright as hell, even when I lower treble -2dB they start to sound a little bit wired.
I use ELAC's now and add them treble +2dB and sound for me perfect now.
About the size, KEF are litlle smaller on desk, but deeper on depth about 1,5cm. They have ~29cm depth with grills on, ELAC are 27,5cm.

Attachments

• 20210820_163731.jpg
    20210820_163731.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 20210820_144145.jpg
    20210820_144145.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

mario_rouge

Gear:
You don't use attenuation?

cbracer

Forum Donor
The Elac DBR-62 appears to have increased $100 everywhere..... ouch. I suspect that was in response to the Polk R200 pricing, and closer to the BW pricing for the same market. The old price of $600 seemed so good I was looking to buy a set. But now to me at $700 it's past my line in the sand for what I'm willing to spend. That puts me back down to the JBL stage A130 for my next speakers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom