• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Benedium

Forum Donor
My issue with higher crossovers is that too much sound that should be coming from your speakers is sent to your subs. Even an 80 Hz crossover puts the lower range of male vocals to the subs as it rolls off at 24 dB / octave, making them begin to sound chestier. It's always worth experimenting, though.
Yup gonna keep experimenting. When I had the speakers pointed straight ahead and once they 'disappear' with optimal soundstage, the subwoofer also seems to integrate better. Then the subwoofer too seems to 'disappear' even with 150hz crossover.

Benedium

Forum Donor
Some thoughts: First the obvious, make sure your speakers and sub are wired with matching polarity. Otherwise you will go nuts. ; ). (I‘ve been there!)

Second, I really, truly think your receiver is way more than adequate.

Third, does your receiver have a night mode? This can dynamically compress high dynamic range material at low volumes.

Fourth, a center channel speaker designed for speech and intelligibility and that fully utilizes the surroumd sound algorithms of your receiver may be a revelation for you.

Fifth, but not least importantly, have you checked for room modes? All you need is a umik-1 and a windows or Mac laptop and some time to burn figuring out how to use it. But a room mode could cause sudden large drop-offs and peaks centered at a few frequencies, particularly from I‘d guess about 160 hz on down (just based on my limited experience). At that point you will see very graphically your room modes. Quite likely big-uns. Seems like everybody’s got ‘em. They can often be stubborn and large. My apologies if you already know all of this.

Moving stuff around, including your sub, or getting a second sub, or digital EQ, or other stuff can help deal with room modes. In my case I had a 6 dB peak around 160 hz, a big dip around 72 hz, and then a ginormous peak in the lower frequencies, 20 to 50 hertz, such that a pin drop sounded like a nuclear explosion. Smoothing that stuff out was hugely helpful to me. Just with REW be prepared for the shock of what even a nice pair of speakers does in a real-world room. After your first look at a graph you will likely break out in a cold sweat and need a stiff drink.

Finally, there is no requirement that you like the DBR62s! ;)
Thanks StevenEleven. I'm relieved that the x3600h isn't the problem. I too hope one day I will be diligent enough to learn and use REW and umik1 :)

Just got them. Say what you want, the WAF on them is super high, noone should have problems having those in the living room. The structured oak veneer imitation is super nice and prevents there being any feeling of cheap surface.
Please can this sexist drivel about "Wife Acceptance Factor" die already? Do you want this hobby to be inclusive or do you want to assume everyone in this hobby is a middle-aged man? I'm sick of this patronising crap.

Just say "they look attractive" or something FFS please.

About the speakers, they sound good. I'm glad I upgraded to them and a Yamaha A-S301 amp from my previous setup of Monitor Audio Bronze 2s and a Cambridge Audio AXA35. Thank you to Audio Science Review for the measurement work that is being done that helps people to make more informed decisions.

Last edited:

Benedium

Forum Donor
Third, does your receiver have a night mode? This can dynamically compress high dynamic range material at low volumes.
You were right StevenEleven! I found a Loud Management feature under my denon x3600h Audio settings.

After turning it off, my elac dbr62 finally behaves normally and predictably at lower volumes. Thank you so much... again.

Last edited:

Haint

Please can this sexist drivel about "Wife Acceptance Factor" die already? Do you want this hobby to be inclusive or do you want to assume everyone in this hobby is a middle-aged man? I'm sick of this patronising crap.

About the speakers, they sound good. I'm glad I upgraded to them and a Yamaha A-S301 amp from my previous setup of Monitor Audio Bronze 2s and a Cambridge Audio AXA35. Thank you to Audio Science Review for the measurement work that is being done that helps people to make more informed decisions.
Come'on guy, no one's genuinely offended by such a benignly flippant colloquialism, certainly not to the level it's acting as any kind of gate keeper to the hobby. I'm not sure why/how to get more women into the hobby, but I'm 100% confident a grand total of 0 have been scared off by the use of WAF.

About the speakers, they sound good. I'm glad I upgraded to them and a Yamaha A-S301 amp from my previous setup of Monitor Audio Bronze 2s and a Cambridge Audio AXA35.
Hah. I am personally amused by the esoteric usage of WAF in the community if it's tongue-in-cheek, but you're right, men should consider talking as if there are more than just guys around if they ever want the hobby to be inclusive. I'm a queer woman who's married to a woman, and honestly it was much harder for me to convince my ex-boyfriend to forgo a soundbar, and instead incorporate some basic Andrew Jones' Pioneer speakers into his space, than it was to sell my wife on the importance having good sound. She enjoys watching good tv shows and movies, and she implicitly trusted me, even though I still took the time to explain what having good speakers would mean for our space, because hey, she's a rational human being who's capable of sharing in a buying decision. Communication, and not simply making assumptions doesn't hurt.

Regarding the Elac DFR52s, I was patient and able to find a pair selling for $838 new because the retailer was trying to rid of overstock. I got the Elac Reference center similarly for $249. I had purchased a SVS sb12-nsd sub already and paired these with them, preferring to set the crossover at 60 hz in my space with minimal toe in. Crossing them over at 80 hz, the bass didn't sound as tight and smooth when listening to music, but is probably fine for an action movie. These floorstanders, and most likely all floorstanders with woofers smaller than 8 inches, needs subs, or I at least prefer listening with a sub. I'm still tinkering with placement, and considering sound treatment for my NYC apartment to address problematic room modes. I'm aiming for a wide soundstage and sense of effortless transparency in my sound, and may not get it without an integrated amp (I'm currently running them with a Denon AVR-X2500H). I was able to purchase a pair of Elac Debut B6s off Craigslist for $70, and now use them as my surrounds. I don't regret getting the DFR52s because when I A/B tested them with the Debut B6s, the floorstanders sounded better in the ways they were advertised as being better. The DFR52s at the price I got them for were worth it, if not solely for the fact that I would have needed to spend hundreds for good speaker stands (or learn to make my own), to get a similarly good sound out of the DBR-62 bookshelves. Also due to the virtue of their form factor, which may be more attractive to people with a limited budget looking for an audio setup in a smaller space, they're better sellers than the floorstanders, and less likely to go on sale, other than on Black Friday or until Elac comes out with a Debut Reference 2.0

The measurements and review here, as well as this review
helped inform my decision to seek out these Elacs.

Take my feedback with a grain of salt though, as I'm no audiophile with a degree in sound engineering or extensive experience auditioning high end gear.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At last, someone sayin it.:)
I'm afraid yes: the hobby must be around 75% of middle aged men, most of them considering to represent 100% of audiophiles. I'm 31, I live with my 12 years old daughter and I've never been married, nor I plan to do so. I don't give a fuck about WAF. There are just beautiful speakers and ugly ones to me.

The DFR-52 has been measured by Stereo DE this month:
001865-0.jpg

(Seems a bit uneven to me)

Last edited:

Foxxy

Forum Donor
Come'on guy, no one's genuinely offended by such a benignly flippant colloquialism, certainly not to the level it's acting as any kind of gate keeper to the hobby. I'm not sure why/how to get more women into the hobby, but I'm 100% confident a grand total of 0 have been scared off by the use of WAF.
This. I'm sorry if this has offended someone. It merely is tongue in cheek for the dynamic that the audiophile person would be willing to setup a literal audio coffin and the more room aesthetics focused person would seriously fight you on that issue.

Shazb0t

75444a48ed7e97127e0e1c9ac09c90e28201ae60_00.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Do you want this hobby to be inclusive or do you want to assume everyone in this hobby is a middle-aged man? I'm sick of this patronising crap.
Wishful thinking at its best, it's perfectly logical to assume that 99% of the hobby is made of men because it is; same way that it's okay to expect a strawberry to be red without having been shown said strawberry.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
It's always great to have more people involved, but the term "WAF" describes an actual issue many men have with this hobby, and is overwhelmingly playing the odds. This hobby is ~99% male.

That said, if someone wants to use inclusive language then changing "wife" to "partner" would work well.

Last edited:

Benedium

Forum Donor
Maybe WAF is a little offensive because its significance in a relationship seems somewhat ridiculous in any era, past or future. Perhaps men and women haven't settled on what to do with each other in this fast changing world. It's probably just another teething problem.

goldark

This. I'm sorry if this has offended someone. It merely is tongue in cheek for the dynamic that the audiophile person would be willing to setup a literal audio coffin and the more room aesthetics focused person would seriously fight you on that issue.
I doubt anyone here is really hurt or offended but words still matter. The term "wife acceptance factor" has sexist implications (the wife is only concerned about home aesthetics while the husband is more utilitarian and cares about actual sound quality and must appease his wife). In 2020, I find promoting such antiquated ideas to be problematic, even if nobody specifically reading this is hurt by it.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's always great to have more people involved, but the term "WAF" describes an actual issue many men have with this hobby, and is overwhelmingly playing the odds. This hobby is ~99% male.

That said, if someone want to use inclusive language then changing "wife" to "partner" would work well.
PAF! I like it.

Is there not an area on this forum to discuss off topic err... topics? I came to this thread to read about this speaker, not someone's PC pontifications about WAF.
I didn't come to this forum to read sexist acronyms. If you want the discussion to end, don't perpetuate it with your dismissive remarks. goldark explained perfectly why it's a problem.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If people want to continue using the term WAF, can the rest of us use the more historically-accurate MAWGF (middle-aged white guy factor), which stands for the susceptibility to really vague and unscientific marketing jargon?

See? Not so much fun.
I actually like MAWGF a lot :D. Wish more people would actually use it. I tend not to take stuff like that too seriously, though, so maybe some would find offense.

Top Bottom