• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Do you want this hobby to be inclusive or do you want to assume everyone in this hobby is a middle-aged man? I'm sick of this patronising crap.
Wishful thinking at its best, it's perfectly logical to assume that 99% of the hobby is made of men because it is; same way that it's okay to expect a strawberry to be red without having been shown said strawberry.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's always great to have more people involved, but the term "WAF" describes an actual issue many men have with this hobby, and is overwhelmingly playing the odds. This hobby is ~99% male.

That said, if someone wants to use inclusive language then changing "wife" to "partner" would work well.

Last edited:

Benedium

Forum Donor
Maybe WAF is a little offensive because its significance in a relationship seems somewhat ridiculous in any era, past or future. Perhaps men and women haven't settled on what to do with each other in this fast changing world. It's probably just another teething problem.

goldark

Forum Donor
This. I'm sorry if this has offended someone. It merely is tongue in cheek for the dynamic that the audiophile person would be willing to setup a literal audio coffin and the more room aesthetics focused person would seriously fight you on that issue.

I doubt anyone here is really hurt or offended but words still matter. The term "wife acceptance factor" has sexist implications (the wife is only concerned about home aesthetics while the husband is more utilitarian and cares about actual sound quality and must appease his wife). In 2020, I find promoting such antiquated ideas to be problematic, even if nobody specifically reading this is hurt by it.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
<snipped YouTube video link>

giphy.gif

I wish people would stop with the sensationalism of "best" in all their reviews. It's annoying as f*ck and is a clear method of getting views.

/rant

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's always great to have more people involved, but the term "WAF" describes an actual issue many men have with this hobby, and is overwhelmingly playing the odds. This hobby is ~99% male.

That said, if someone want to use inclusive language then changing "wife" to "partner" would work well.

PAF! I like it.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Is there not an area on this forum to discuss off topic err... topics? I came to this thread to read about this speaker, not someone's PC pontifications about WAF.

0800 Dub

Is there not an area on this forum to discuss off topic err... topics? I came to this thread to read about this speaker, not someone's PC pontifications about WAF.
I didn't come to this forum to read sexist acronyms. If you want the discussion to end, don't perpetuate it with your dismissive remarks. goldark explained perfectly why it's a problem.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If people want to continue using the term WAF, can the rest of us use the more historically-accurate MAWGF (middle-aged white guy factor), which stands for the susceptibility to really vague and unscientific marketing jargon?

See? Not so much fun.

I actually like MAWGF a lot :D. Wish more people would actually use it. I tend not to take stuff like that too seriously, though, so maybe some would find offense.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually like MAWGF a lot :D. Wish more people would actually use it. I tend not to take stuff like that too seriously, though, so maybe some would find offense.

For many years I was often a MAML - Middle Aged Man in Lycra (riding a bike). I still am, but only occasionally.

Oops, sorry Thomas.

Tarachii

giphy.gif

I wish people would stop with the sensationalism of "best" in all their reviews. It's annoying as f*ck and is a clear method of getting views.

/rant
Never thought of it that way, but makes sense. He doesn't even try to delineate whether they're the 'best' or not, and appears to give a pretty honest review, and backs up his impressions with measurements, as well as another video where he records his impressions listening to test tracks deliberately.

Tarachii

It's easy to watch these YouTube reviewers and take what they say seriously. Be cautious with most of them...

Yeah, I try to be. I tend to take opinions with a grain of salt, but absent any other data points (plus my laziness to utilize 30 day money back policies to audition speakers and lack of expertise in measuring speakers myself), will aggregate reviews and try to get a sense of their methodology to see how accurate and consistent they may be, and how my tastes may compare.

Zoide

@amirm Would the X3600H be able to drive DRB62s adequately?

For example, in a 5.1 (or even 5.1.4) system with four DRB62s serving as the fronts and surrounds?

Thanks

Tarachii

@amirm Would the X3600H be able to drive DRB62s adequately?

For example, in a 5.1 (or even 5.1.4) system with four DRB62s serving as the fronts and surrounds?

Thanks
Likely, yes, depending on how you qualify adequately. I've been told any system can benefit from more power, with the DRB62s more so than most to 'come alive' according to people. I have no issues running a 5.1 system consisting of Elac Reference DFR52s, Elac Reference DCR52, and Elac B6s for surrounds with my Denon AVR-X2500H, and playing movies at a volume that could have neighbors knocking on my door to turn it down. I can likewise drive the towers at earsplitting levels in stereo

Zoide

Likely, yes, depending on how you qualify adequately. I've been told any system can benefit from more power, with the DRB62s more so than most to 'come alive' according to people. I have no issues running a 5.1 system consisting of Elac Reference DFR52s, Elac Reference DCR52, and Elac B6s for surrounds with my Denon AVR-X2500H, and playing movies at a volume that could have neighbors knocking on my door to turn it down. I can likewise drive the towers at earsplitting levels in stereo
Do you have DRB62s though? Your list mentioned different models. Thanks

Tarachii

Do you have DRB62s though? Your list mentioned different models. Thanks
No I don't, but the sensitivity is 86db @ 2.83v/1m for the bookshelves vs 87db for the floorstanders. It's not a significant difference, even if you're running 4 of them (how loud do you need your explosions, really?). The AVR-X3600H also has a bit more wattage to play with, and you'll be driving fewer total woofers. It should be fine if you run a sub to take care of the bass.

Benedium

Forum Donor
I'm using x3600h avr and dbr62 front L/R and debut 2.0 b6.2 surrounds. Previously used 5x Mission LX2 all around.

I will be adding another half pair of dbr62 as center speaker soon as I like a more consistent front soundstage but for now I am without a center channel speaker.

My Setup/Settings:
I use a svs pb1000 subwoofer and set 80/90hz crossover in the avr. Also have all enhancements turned off, loud Mgmt and Dynamic EQ as well as Dynamic Volume turned off. Under Audyssey Multi EQ, I chose the Flat mode/curve. Main listening position is exactly 2m away from either front L/R speaker.

My living room ambient noise floor is about 55-60db. Average listening level for music is about 70-75db. Measured with phone and free app.

Observations / Feelings:
For music in Direct mode or even stereo mode with subwoofer, spotify music plays loud and full from 52 - 55% volume.

However, for tv/movies in dolby digital plus sound mode, even with merely 4 speakers, I found I had to turn up my volume quite a lot, like 70 - 80%... and it still does not sound loud. Not sure if it's normal.

Will check if adding a center speaker solves my problem once my 2nd pair of dbr62 arrives. Stay tuned. Hope that's of some help so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom