• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

goldark

Forum Donor
I have these running in a bedroom off a Yamaha stereo receiver. I'm pretty close to them and don't blast the volume so the amp works fine in this application. However, in Erin's review, he says don't use an AVR (implying you need a separate power amp). Has anyone run these in a home theater setup using just an AVR with no external amp? How has that worked? And if it was fine, why was an AVR not recommended by Erin? FWIW, I plan on using them with a Denon X3400 but if these prove too hard to drive, I might forgo the plan to base a HT system around them.

Erici

Forum Donor
I have these running in a bedroom off a Yamaha stereo receiver. I'm pretty close to them and don't blast the volume so the amp works fine in this application. However, in Erin's review, he says don't use an AVR (implying you need a separate power amp). Has anyone run these in a home theater setup using just an AVR with no external amp? How has that worked? And if it was fine, why was an AVR not recommended by Erin? FWIW, I plan on using them with a Denon X3400 but if these prove too hard to drive, I might forgo the plan to base a HT system around them.
The sensitivity spec on these speakers is 86dB. That is also what Amir measured. The spec for the x3400 is around 100 watts as I recall. So using the calculator below, you could run the speakers at 99dB at a distance of 10 feet. That is way too loud for most people. You can adjust the values to reflect your circumstances, but I don't think you will have any problem with volume.
Eric

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most amps will be current limited in the Bass area of the DBR62, so at Medium to higher volumes you may lose some bass, but its hard to say without measuring. I would say you are fine if you listen to lower volumes (max 75db).

Phidel

I have it in a little room (I'm at 2.2m of them) with a Denon 3800H and the sub Elac 10.2s, after room correction applied with Audissey and corrected the curve to Harman I can say they sound awesome, very precise and deep bass, perfect mid range presentation and precise highs, all with an amazing imaging. I'm in love with this combo when I see movies, play some games and listen jazz, thecno, rock or pop.

Eldus

I think the reason Erin said not to use an AVR is because of this graph and how a weaker amp might be current limited. In a smaller room at most folks distances most AVRs should be just fine. Esp. if you integrate a sub and cross them over. I do like my PA5 class D amp in my small bedroom as it does not act as a space heater unlike my old 2006 Denon AVR I used before.
1714071309838.png

Top Bottom