• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

DSJR

Major Contributor
Oh, the condensate is like a glide fluid that makes the highs more gentle and the voices more smokey. Real analog sound.
When I started in a proper audio store in 1974, almost all the staff smoked 'on the floor' (I mentioned earlier that it was Dunhill International ciggies). The gear was kept clean enough, but round the back of the 'Ladderax style' furniture units we used to display the gear on, the pro-grade cabling and socketry were coated in a foul (to me) smelling sticky residue and when the dem room was re-fitted, I recall the cabling and comparator switchgear was chucked out and replaced. I took some of the furniture home and it took some cleaning up to remove that residue I can tell you...

Soandso

47A8052B-C832-4D96-807C-005801FC288B.jpeg

JRS

Major Contributor
All readee to start jomming,

Me: Started the w/e a bit early as I am retired and allowed such luxuries. I gotta say these Debut Reference Elacs I grabbed recently at 450/pr from BB were WORTH EVERY EFFING PENNY. And I have expensive tastes. I just gotta get some msmts and a thick rug. Can see the need for a sub, but that may have to wait a while. In the meantime these are the little woofers that could.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I owe finding Blue Oyster Cult to weed. My brother got stoned and loved the debut album. When he sobered up, he hated it, and gave it to me :D

JRS

Major Contributor
I owe finding Blue Oyster Cult to weed. My brother got stoned and loved the debut album. When he sobered up, he hated it, and gave it to me :D
BOY's were great.
<iframe width="1440" height="598" src="
" title="Blue Oyster Cult - Don&#39;t Fear The Reaper (Single Version) (1976) (HD)" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

God where did all the years go! But not fearing the reaper yet, 67 here

dasdoing

Major Contributor
After germany has now at least a partial legalization.

what changed?
growing up in Berlin it was partially tolerated even in the 90ies allready. Police wouldn't care for users at all, and even small bedroom dealers (selling to friends) weren't really of interest.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This was certainly the case, in many big cities. But, there is still "some Germany" around the big cities...

tomtoo

Major Contributor
what changed?
growing up in Berlin it was partially tolerated even in the 90ies allready. Police wouldn't care for users at all, and even small bedroom dealers (selling to friends) weren't really of interest.

I live in a not so small city in BW. And the police enjoyed to hunt kiffer in the 80s.

DSJR

Major Contributor
It's fascinating to hear about your experiences, DSJR, especially how cannabis condensate might have had an impact on audio equipment back in the day. The analog sound quality and the ambiance in that audio store must have been quite unique.
Should have said it was cigarette smoke from Dunhill-International ciggies, not anything deeper...

Later on, I worked in a place where the boss, who rolled up (literally - cough) in the afternoons mostly to do the book-work, used to smoke strong week (stems as well?) and the fumes from this used to permeate the small store. He was taking an effin' gamble as we had serving policemen as customers...

Alcohol is my vice, or used to be when I had money available and before I married, this latter which took much of the need away ;) I've never ever smoked, so can't comment further on this.

Barrelhouse Solly

I play the guitar. I used to love to practice while, uh, intentionally impaired. Listening to music was more fun. I'm curious about the physiology. BTW, I know my coordination is better when I'm straight.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I start to believe there is a connection between substances and some audio dealers when I hear their prices. They have to understand I am a sober client.

Top Bottom