• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

Music1969

Major Contributor
the out-of-band noise hump is reduced, just by the way.
I think you guys remember that hump if used 384k of sampling rate, it starts from 100k and higher so that hump is reduced. Furthermore, 10-20k H3 is also dropped to 3db or so. A-weighted noise may be .1db improved, so the new FW is about out-of-band noise mostly.
Measurements at PCM768kHz are now reliable?

I remember old posts saying they are not reliable

Has this changed ?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
do you mean the dip switch level is too high?
I guess so. To measure a common 4Vrms output (I assume it is what we get from the D-6), you need to adjust the input (most likely, use the 3.5Vrms switch if Mono, or the 4.5Vrms one if Stereo) to get something closer to 0dBDFS in REW RTA.

How can you tell?
D-6 only - 1kHz tone~2.png

;)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So bought one from Linsoul and have now tried on 3 computers. None recognize it. The back panel LED initially is solid and starts blinking steadily after a few seconds.

Have installed the tweak app and it cannot connect.

Any suggestions?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
So bought one from Linsoul and have now tried on 3 computers. None recognize it. The back panel LED initially is solid and starts blinking steadily after a few seconds.

Have installed the tweak app and it cannot connect.

Any suggestions?
Hm, when did you buy that, date? Did you try another USB cable, a shorter one? Different USB ports? Windows 10, Mac?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hm, when did you buy that, date? Did you try another USB cable, a shorter one? Different USB ports? Windows 10, Mac?

Just bought two weeks ago. Did try different USB ports. All computers are up to date Windows 10...

Did not suspect brand new cable but appears to have been the issue. After swapping it out, plug and play detected it. Thanks!

Last edited:

wayne_handzus

HI Ivan, Wayne here in SF
maybe sound dialog i have w10 howe er i have read the same comes up under w11
maybe one slider is turned down see attached.,
c u later
Wayne

Attachments

• sound_dialog_box_check_here.JPG
    sound_dialog_box_check_here.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 51
  • sound_dialog_box.JPG
    sound_dialog_box.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 49

wayne_handzus

Hi Ivan, how's it going
hope you stay healthy.
oh was Cable
looks like attachment of new firmware filename 768K
graph you posted is 360 K nyquist
for me this is very good news,
thanks very kindly sire,
Hope To purchase adc soon.
Later Good Man
Wayne

wayne_handzus

re noise coming up when freq inceaase,
seems to say capacitive reactance has decreased,
the noise looks like various mixture of radios and what not coming from electric common ground into the circuit enclosure, not seeing the schematic and cannot hardly try desoldering caps or changing value when they are surface mounted.
this would require a peg board or caps attached with alligator clips with the culprits removed,.or not placed yet on protoType.
not now looking at the circuit,.
as you know, when we shunt signals to ground, existing the same path back into the circuit from ground,
(ground, where all of the noise is) unless we have an absolutely clean ground,. not likely with all of the raido not ,i say again my last, radio,over,
on the air,out. ground is a giant antenna.
surely you know how to test tone circuits of this type at least aproximate= aye figured . again good job! well done! friend wayne here in San Francisco

James Romeyn

Dealer
I thought phono SQ on the recording sample was exceptionally good, at least on my desktop system immediately above my video display, the best boom box I ever heard, a JVC RV-DP-100, 4cm full range + active 8cm subs.

Music1969

Major Contributor
You will need some kind of input buffer to raise the load impedance that the DAC will see to get acceptable measurements.
Many just build their own
I have a DIY DAC with 1Vrms output (very low) and 4k ohm output impedance.

My SMSL SP400 headamp/pre out, has 47k ohm input impedance (very good) but even at max volume I can't boost this output voltage.

Cosmos ADC minimum input sensitivty is 1.7V rms.

How can I boost DAC's output transparently to 1.7 Vrms?

I looked at transparent preamps but Topping Pre90 is king but has 2k ohm input impedance (too low for my case).

cc @VintageFlanker @pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a DIY DAC with 1Vrms output (very low) and 4k ohm output impedance.

My SMSL SP400 headamp/pre out, has 47k ohm input impedance (very good) but even at max volume I can't boost this output voltage.

Cosmos ADC minimum input sensitivty is 1.7V rms.

How can I boost DAC's output transparently to 1.7 Vrms?

I looked at transparent preamps but Topping Pre90 is king but has 2k ohm input impedance (too low for my case).

cc @VintageFlanker @pkane

If you want to stay in the E1DA family, get the APU. It'll give you about 34dB clean preamp gain.

Music1969

Major Contributor
If you want to stay in the E1DA family, get the APU. It'll give you about 34dB clean preamp gain.
I have it but i then have 14 Vrms which is too high for Cosmos ADC

Even if I feed that into my SMSL SP400 and dial down volume, i get hopelessly bad THD+N of 70dB

Direct connection of DIY DAC (1 Vrms) into Cosmos ADC 1.7Vrms gives THD+N of 100dB. Even if routing through the SMSL SP400 gives the same (transparent preamp)

So something is going wrong with APU in the chain

Not necessarily faulty unit but cant workout why SINAD takes such a hit

Top Bottom