• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(e)ARC not working on LG C1 and Marantz Cinema 50

slacki

Anyone an idea why eARC is not working?
I connected the HDMI cable from the Marantz (the middle port where it states (e)ARC) to my TV, HDMI Port 2 where it states ARC (not eARC).
When i start Netflix on my TV, i get no sound through my AVR.
What i noticed too is the input configuration, it is on HDMI, its impossible to select ARC, this is fixed to port 7 (TV Audio). Anyone an idea whats going on here?
I *guess* its a configuration problem of the Marantz, but not 100% sure.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Did you set your C1's audio output to Digital (Toslink/HDMI)?
Also try it with SIMPLINK both turned On and Off.

OP
S

slacki

yes i set it to toslink/hdmi and tried to play around with simplink, no difference.
i am wondering if i understood something wrong with this arc... this goes all over 1 hdmi cable, right?
so i only have to connect my AVR and TV with 1 cable, not an extra toslink or another hdmi cable?

staticV3

Master Contributor
An HDMI cable can carry both Audio and Video.
All HDMI ports on your C1 can be used to input Audio and output it via the built-in speakers or via the Toslink output, but only the HDMI port labeled eARC can be used to output audio from your C1 to an external DAC using an HDMI cable.

OP
S

slacki

maybe i should buy a toslink cable and use that. seems like (found that on google) that many have such problems with the c1 and earc.
do i have any disadvantage with toslink vs hdmi? i guess all audio formats that go through hdmi can also go through toslink?

staticV3

Master Contributor
do i have any disadvantage with toslink vs hdmi? i guess all audio formats that go through hdmi can also go through toslink?
Toslink can only do 5.1 from what I can tell. So no 7.1 and no object-based surround like Atmos.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Did you make sure that in the Marantz's settings, ARC is turned On?
Screenshot_20231004-182201_Drive.png

OP
S

slacki

yes, arc is turned on, but i can not set it in the input settings. i change the language later to english and make some screenshots

OP
S

slacki

signal-2023-10-04-190356_002.jpeg

signal-2023-10-04-190306_002.jpeg

sorry for the bad quality, the phone has probably a bad camera driver or software... but guess everything can be read. imo this should work, but the upper screen shows a problem. tv/Audio has ARC, all other have only(?) hdmi.

nerdstrike

Your AVR doesn't need ARC set on any connection but the TV. All the other devices are only sources, whereas the TV can be both audio source and video/audio sink. If you connect a Blu-ray player to the TV it can forward the audio back down the HDMI to the AVR, but more commonly you would connect the player to the AVR and let it forward the images to the TV.

eARC should degrade gracefully to relay ARC if the device doesn't support the clever bits.

My personal experience of one Arcam device and one Samsung tv, is that ARC can be very unreliable. I fell back to TOSlink after one too many cycles of turning both devices off and on trying to get it to work more than half the time. Thankfully I only need stereo at regular sample rates. TOSlink is limited to 5.1 channels IIRC.

Presumably your problem is that you can play music/movies/games via the AVR, but any apps or broadcast on the TV has no audio? You can try to power both devices down completely (including unplugging for a bit) and then seeing if the TV will correctly initialise the ARC if both devices are powered up when you connect the HDMI between them. There are variations on this procedure out there, but it's very unsatisfying!

Thewinesnob

Anyone an idea why eARC is not working?
I connected the HDMI cable from the Marantz (the middle port where it states (e)ARC) to my TV, HDMI Port 2 where it states ARC (not eARC).
When i start Netflix on my TV, i get no sound through my AVR.
What i noticed too is the input configuration, it is on HDMI, its impossible to select ARC, this is fixed to port 7 (TV Audio). Anyone an idea whats going on here?
I *guess* its a configuration problem of the Marantz, but not 100% sure.
I just bought a Marantz SR5015 to replace a 7 year old Sony and my LG OLED could see the receiver but the UI would not render. Apparantly, my HDMI cable was not 8K and not 2.1. I bought a new HDMI cable and viola! Hope it’s that easy for others.

Top Bottom