• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop THX-789 Volume pot replacement?

Dreyfus

I am pretty sure that my unit had this issue even without the DAC connected to the input. But I will check that once again when the issue reoccurs.

Did not hear any cracks since the last cleaning. Knock on wood. :)

levimax

Major Contributor
While DC across the pot is the "usual suspect" for crackling it is not always the case. I built a little pre-amp during Covid and was only able to get a cheap pot for it due to supply chain issues and it was noisy within a few months. I was using good op amps with very little DC offset so the first thing I tried was replacing the cheap pot with an ALPS pot and it completely solved the issue. I would try some heat from a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue. Not sure what op amps are used in this but if NE5533 op amps, which have relatively high DC offset, I would try a blocking cap first, if using op amps with low DC offset I would try replacing the pot first. Good luck.

OP
Selarom

Selarom

While DC across the pot is the "usual suspect" for crackling it is not always the case. I built a little pre-amp during Covid and was only able to get a cheap pot for it due to supply chain issues and it was noisy within a few months. I was using good op amps with very little DC offset so the first thing I tried was replacing the cheap pot with an ALPS pot and it completely solved the issue. I would try some heat from a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue. Not sure what op amps are used in this but if NE5533 op amps, which have relatively high DC offset, I would try a blocking cap first, if using op amps with low DC offset I would try replacing the pot first. Good luck.
According to this picture below (source) OpAmps are OPA564, TL062C, OPA1602A (which I've seen in other amps too).

What level of DC offset spec can cause this?

index.php

OP
Selarom

Selarom

levimax

Major Contributor
According to this picture below (source) OpAmps are OPA564, TL062C, OPA1602A (which I've seen in other amps too).

What level of DC offset spec can cause this?

index.php

NE5533 Vos (offset voltage at 25°C) (max) (mV) 4

OPA 1602 Vos (offset voltage at 25°C) (max) (mV) 1

Assuming the op amps are not "fake" I doubt DC offset is an issue with the OPA1602 but that is just an educated quess.

levimax

Major Contributor
These are the specs of the volume potentiometer inside the THX-789.

View attachment 273806

View attachment 273807
This looks OK on paper, I have no idea about this brand and about potential fakes. Since it is sealed not sure how much deoxit will help.

paudio

This looks OK on paper, I have no idea about this brand and about potential fakes. Since it is sealed not sure how much deoxit will help.
They're about 10-15 times cheaper than a high end Alps pot. Probably worth replacing. Would be good to know if there is a DC issue though as well

levimax

Major Contributor
Would this one work?

It will work if you can figure out how to mount it. The original is 9.5mm wide and that Alps is 27 mm wide.... this is a big difference and would require some case work and wiring gymnastics. It is a great pot... quiet and accurate with a great "feel". I don't think Alps makes 9mm pots I have used their 16mm and 27mm. For 9 mm "Alpha" is a well know brand but also lots of "fake" ones. A 9mm pot will never have the feel or performance of a 27 mm pot.

Top Bottom