• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don't Believe Anything you Read on The Internet!

• Thread starter Deleted member 17820
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
On the other hand:
2ba9bf1b335ca7bc551e7248983dfc71.jpg

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
True, almost all religions are based on stories, but I think it's getting in over one's skis to assume that non-religious people "live in reality" or have the slightest clue as to why we are here and what things are. We learn to manipulate things (science) and nothing more.

What the Brothers Grimm did was nothing new, that's for sure.

I don't believe that we are here for any reason at all, or that things are anything other than what they happen to be at the moment we observe them (empirically). If that means I'm not in touch with reality, then that's fine by me, as long as it spares me from 99% of the BS out there.

Science has no interest in truths or higher meanings, and neither do I, other than when I'm in the mood for some philosophical babbling. Sometimes I feel the need to tell myself a few white lies to keep the depression at bay, but it's just a tool and I don't pretend it carries any real weight (or at least I try not to give it any).

carnagymelton

What the Brothers Grimm did was nothing new, that's for sure.

I don't believe that we are here for any reason at all, or that things are anything other than what they happen to be at the moment we observe them (empirically). If that means I'm not in touch with reality, then that's fine by me, as long as it spares me from 99% of the BS out there.

Science has no interest in truths or higher meanings, and neither do I, other than when I'm in the mood for some philosophical babbling. Sometimes I feel the need to tell myself a few white lies to keep the depression at bay, but it's just a tool and I don't pretend it carries any real weight (or at least I try not to give it any).

It's hard to reconcile someone who claims to not be interested in "truths or higher meanings" while at the same time demeaning others for telling themselves "lies" and "babbling". And though science itself is nothing more than the scientific method (a mere application of logic), the practitioners are high priests of the truth and claim that they are learning more and more each day about the true nature of things.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It's hard to reconcile someone who claims to not be interested in "truths or higher meanings" while at the same time demeaning others for telling themselves "lies" and "babbling".

I'm demeaning myself for the lies and babbling. They are my actions, not those of others.

What I'm trying to say is that ideally "truth" would be a nonsense concept to me, but since I'm a human being that need to function in a complex society, the notion of having a higher reason for existence is sometimes needed to make all of the insanity tolerable.

Nobody is perfect, myself included. I'm an atheist, but not out of spite. If religion made sense to me, I would't mind having it in my life.

And though science itself is nothing more than the scientific method (a mere application of logic), the practitioners are high priests of the truth and claim that they are learning more and more each day about the true nature of things.

I disagree. But I don't think I'll elaborate. This thread is spiralling downwards just fine without my help :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Nobody is perfect, myself included. I'm an atheist, but not out of spite. If religion made sense to me, I would't mind having it in my life.

Then modify your position and declare yourself Agnostic.

Then you can have it all three ways.

leeroy 85032

People in the hard sciences will not go for this. They need to feel that their time was well spent.
my point is when what is supposed to be a credible source is held in equal regard as conspiracy theory nonsense , reality ceases to exist.. opinion of idiots at that point is considered as credible as reality.. both cannot exist in parallel .. there is a truth , the inability to see it non withstanding

carnagymelton

my point is when what is supposed to be a credible source is held in equal regard as conspiracy theory nonsense , reality ceases to exist.. opinion of idiots at that point is considered as credible as reality.. both cannot exist in parallel .. there is a truth , the inability to see it non withstanding

Maybe, but don't forget that those that you have judged to be "idiots" probably think that you're an idiot too. It usually works that way.

leeroy 85032

Maybe, but don't forget that those that you have judged to be "idiots" probably think that you're an idiot too. It usually works that way.
based on my measured iq i might have a better point than most of the people i am referring to , but that being said , i agree with your point .. another thought.. reality doesn't change because one well regarded snake oil salesman declares it so , and mindless drones agree (mostly b/c they never payed attention to world events until the salesman caught their eye with a shiny object).... (HC. or JB)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Who cares what an idiot thinks.
Keith

Those who study idiocy?

idiot - neurology -
A person of severe mental deficit, incapable of coherent speech or of normal response to danger.
Collins Dictionary of Medicine © Robert M. Youngson 2004, 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom