• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Donner Dyna 3 Powered Bookshelf Speaker || $89 Monitors

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It is a common practice for manufacturer of these kind of (very) small loudspeaker to choose referent axis to be appreciable higher than tweeter height when listening (or measuring), because these loudspeakers are designed to perform their best sitting on the desk, while the ear of the listener, naturally, is placed much higher ... or I am very optimistic about the engineering knowledge of those manufacturers.
The reference plane in this test is at the tweeter, per the manufacturer.

https://fccid.io/2AV7N-DYNA/User-Manual/User-Manual-4954034.pdf

1621861079218.png

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interestingly bad!

thanks for the review Erin. Sometimes we need to see something like this spin to appreciate the super smooth spins…

what I’d like to know is: how do those $99 Bluetooth speakers, ubiquitous, that the yoof are listening too measure, in comparison.

Probably very well. Because it can’t get any worse…

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
If you want to talk about wasted time, then the time I spend replying to "why did you measure this?" after I've already measured and posted the data... that is time wasted. This post and the others I have made in reply because I have been asked directly a question are all time wasted that I could have spent doing more useful things. I have multiple reasons for testing these kind of things; I want to know what you get for the price, I want people to know and I am hopeful maybe we'll run in to something that performs well even if it does take some EQ to get there. After all, these are computer speakers and if EQ can be applied to make a budget speaker perform well in that environment then it might be useful for someone.

It seems hypocritical to talk about me wasting time but then cause me to waste more time explaining my choices when the test is already done.

Just sayin'.

And don't worry, I won't waste anymore time talking about wasted time. :)

dorirod

why?

why would he do that after he paid for a robot to do that for him. it is borderline madness.

Because I would think it would be quicker than going through the whole setting up on the NFS, just making suggestion for future ones and that's what I would do if I were in that situation, but Erin's the best judge of his own time.

If you want to talk about wasted time, then the time I spend replying to "why did you measure this?" after I've already measured and posted the data... that is time wasted. This post and the others I have made in reply because I have been asked directly a question are all time wasted that I could have spent doing more useful things. I have multiple reasons for testing these kind of things; I want to know what you get for the price, I want people to know and I am hopeful maybe we'll run in to something that performs well even if it does take some EQ to get there. After all, these are computer speakers and if EQ can be applied to make a budget speaker perform well in that environment then it might be useful for someone.

It seems hypocritical to talk about me wasting time but then cause me to waste more time explaining my choices when the test is already done.

Just sayin'.

And don't worry, I won't waste anymore time talking about wasted time. :)

I do find it funny though that you take the time to reply saying you're wasting time replying. You could just not reply from the beginning since no one is forcing you to read or reply on anyone's posts. Btw, posting in an open discussion forum implies you're looking for a discussion, which is why I'm replying in the first place :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget people complaining about wasted time when they got the review FOR FREE. Wow.

dorirod

Don't forget people complaining about wasted time when they got the review FOR FREE. Wow.

Hate to beat a dead horse, especially off topic, but if you're referring to me, I'm not complaining about the review at all. If Erin went through every single under $200 set of speakers and put them on the NFS, I would be perfectly happy and most appreciative and would find it very revealing (I would read every review) :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Honestly, I have to wonder what their design goal was here. Even people who have no idea what good sound is would think this sounded like a steaming pile of garbage.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hate to beat a dead horse, especially off topic, but if you're referring to me, I'm not complaining about the review at all. If Erin went through every single under $200 set of speakers and put them on the NFS, I would be perfectly happy and most appreciative and would find it very revealing (I would read every review) :)
I was not.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally welcome every two digits or three digits priced speaker review, these small businesses do not have a Klippel, can not afford a Klippel test during every step of the design, and probably wouldn't send a Speaker back and forth to Germany or any place for that matter for testing.

the expensive speakers' companies have access to that and frankly don't need a third party's data, an expensive speaker is either good enough (science based designs) or absolute trash (boutique). there are already great several purchase options for 1000$ a pair and more

on ASR the only purchasable speakers that are below 500$ a pair are the JBL Stage A130, out of 141 reviews there is only one decent budget speaker.

Ericglo

I personally welcome every two digits or three digits priced speaker review, these small businesses do not have a Klippel, can not afford a Klippel test during every step of the design, and probably wouldn't send a Speaker back and forth to Germany or any place for that matter for testing.

the expensive speakers' companies have access to that and frankly don't need a third party's data, an expensive speaker is either good enough (science based designs) or absolute trash (boutique). there are already great several purchase options for 1000$ a pair and more

on ASR the only purchasable speakers that are below 500$ a pair are the JBL Stage A130, out of 141 reviews there is only one decent budget speaker.

I am not sure where all of these speaker companies are located? In the US, there are several places to get their speakers measured. Beyond that, they can do it the hard way like Erin used to do. Honestly, that would be the best way to design a speaker for a small company. They could send it to one of the measurement companies for independent verification when the design is complete. Dennis Murphy and Rick Craig don't have a Klippel NFS. They have designed more than their fair share of excellent speakers without it.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The reference plane in this test is at the tweeter, per the manufacturer.
Yes, but we all know the manufacturers of those cheap (or expensive) loudspeakers often don't have a clue... or are outright liars. The stated manufacturers reference axis/plane is wrong, your measurements clearly show the optimum axis is +20 degrees vertical. Even more, if you put this loudspeaker on desk, all frequencies below some 1.5 kHz will be boosted, leveling with the tweeter output (which otherwise is too hot). Clearly, this is an ordinary budget PC/desktop loudspeaker, and certainly not the "High-Definition Active Studio Monitor" as stated in their User manual. I would speculate it was designed as PC/desktop loudspeaker, but afterwards the marketing guys become very creative.

Last edited:

jonfitch

Weird how someone managed to screw up the integration of a 1" tweeter with a 3" mid. Seems like you would have to actually try to be this bad.

Top Bottom