• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

does anyone remember "MIDBASS" subwoofers?

beagleman

Major Contributor
I vaguely remember such a product a few years back, but can not remember what it was actually "Called" or referred to.
It looked just like a normal subwoofer, but was only Midbass region

It was basically a Woofer/subwoofer type of device but one that ONLY covered the midbass region, say from 80hz to maybe 250hz.

At the time I thought I saw a few brands that made such a product, but now can not even find it existed ever.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but PA subwoofers focus on SPL instead of low frequency extension. They usually roll off below 40Hz.

Middle Earth

They still exist.
Even in larger sizes.
Here are some in various sizes but you can use the filter and see much larger examples

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They still exist.
Even in larger sizes.
Here are some in various sizes but you can use the filter and see much larger examples

I *think* he meant a finished product, ready to use. But, dunno.

OP
B

beagleman

Major Contributor
They still exist.
Even in larger sizes.

No....

I mean actual speakers that look just like an amplified SUBWOOFER for home use, but they specifically only covered the mid and upper bass region.

like a 12" Woofer/subwoofer IN A BOX with an amp and all, except only for mid/upper bass.
An actual product I remember seeing, and wondering what the appeal was.
I remember only a few maybe like 3-5 years ago.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was this a Pro Audio sort of thing? I can't imagine who wants one for their home.

OP
B

beagleman

Major Contributor
Was this a Pro Audio sort of thing? I can't imagine who wants one for their home.

No for home use only. I am positive I saw them, and they looked JUST LIKE a regular sub, but were made to "Fill in" the so called "Mid bass" region.

We may have even had a discussion over WHY they even made them. But TODAY can not even find the product existed at all.
Mainly due to search not being able to discriminate what the actual item was.........

I thought maybe HSU made it, but going on memory....

Middle Earth

I *think* he meant a finished product, ready to use. But, dunno.
The O/P did use the term subwoofer but the one in the link would be woofers that would work in that range mentioned as mid-bass woofers

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Like this?

Middle Earth

No for home use only. I am positive I saw them, and they looked JUST LIKE a regular sub, but were made to "Fill in" the so called "Mid bass" region.

We may have even had a discussion over WHY they even made them. But TODAY can not even find the product existed at all.
Would not a wall of Marshals be just that ?
I don’t remember it being a thing of any popularity for home use other than in old school and new 3/4 way speakers.
But apparently there is one ☝️at least.

OP
B

beagleman

Major Contributor
Like this?

That is it!!
I thought it was HSU, but could not find it with search...

Thanks......:)

gnarly

Major Contributor
Yep, mid-bass boxes are prevalent in proaudio and DIY. Well, that is proaudio that still uses non line-array rigs for smaller events.
DIY designs are usually from audio hounds wanting to hear more..

Here's a construction pict of box called the PM60 designed for live-sound It uses a pair horn loaded 12"s to handle mid-bass from 100Hz up. Mandatory subs of course.
The amount of thump the box can produce is impressive. Makes the right types of music seem more alive.
And the horn which a number of HT folks like, does a good job of delivering a clean hi-fi sound. I happily used a pair of these at home for a few years.

But yep again, mid-bass horns abound...and can help sound a little more real even at lower SPL, ime/imo.

xt A.jpg

Top Bottom