• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

Freeway

I'm a Swiftie and I really haven't listened to her stuff. I have always admired her for doing it her way. Powerful woman. I started coming across snippets of her Eras tour. All these fans just belting out the words to her songs. My nieces among them too.
Then I came across a video of her refusing to stop playing when a downpour happened during a concert. Her band expected to head in but no she just keep playing and playing and playing.. That is when I became a Swiftie.

wunderkind

People used to say what's the big deal with Michael Jackson?
Generations prior asked the same about the Beatles and Elvis.

My daughter is a Taylor Swift fan. Not me, it draws a blank space when it comes to her songs. I don't know her music all too well however I feel it is unfair to make her the anti-hero just because she is gorgeous (opinion) and many young folks are enchanted by her songs. Have you seen her bejeweled costume?! To the haters, you need to calm down and shake it off.

Obizzz

People used to say what's the big deal with Michael Jackson?
Generations prior asked the same about the Beatles and Elvis.

My daughter is a Taylor Swift fan. Not me, it draws a blank space when it comes to her songs. I don't know her music all too well however I feel it is unfair to make her the anti-hero just because she is gorgeous (opinion) and many young folks are enchanted by her songs. Have you seen her bejeweled costume?! To the haters, you need to calm down and shake it off.
Now go stand in the corner and think about what you did!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep meaning to try her stuff again, been several years since I've tried. I think she seems to be a nice human generally even if I don't connect with her music but I'll probably have to revisit, but this sort of pop vocalist isn't my thing generally.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I've never had a facebook account and I've never listened to Taylor Swift. Couldn't name even one of her songs. I don't need either in my life, but plenty of others do and that's perfectly fine by me. I don't care.

Mikig

I certainly heard her on the radio, but honestly I don't have any downloaded content of hers and I don't have any of her CDs.
If they were to ask me the title of one of her songs, I wouldn't be able to answer.
I'm not shure to be able to recognize she.... it doesn't honor me, but this is...

Platypus20

Forum Donor
IMG_2995.jpeg

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listen to other shit on the radio. Demi Lovato makes Taylor Swift sound like Roberta Flack and the Beatles rolled in one. I liked the 1989 album, I think it could have been shorter but the sales don't lie.

Her shows are also amazing, her clothes are incredible and she's really beautiful. My big problem with her is her lyrics which I find a bit limited but I think people relate to how literal they are. She has a sense of humor about herself, she's unpretentious. The character she portrays is consistent and that makes her relatable. Her music is polished and seems more effortful than other big artists right now, like Drake or whatever.

It's pop music. Approach it with an open mind and learn about your fellow girls. I'd rather listen to her than the Turtles or the Monkees or something.

More than that, she represents the aspirations of like, millions of young women. I refuse to believe I can't relate to young women, so I refuse to be bewildered by Taylor Swift. Plus, she's tall.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can respect her as a musician and songwriter, but her music was not written for me.
Exactly. Paul Hindemith and Johnny Paycheck aren't for me either but you don't see me posting about it.

Robin L

Master Contributor
My sister Toni listens to Taylor Swift. The fact that she's a very successful singer/songwriter with loads of attitude is a large part of the appeal for Toni. I haven't heard Taylor Swift, so my opinion is of no value.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Exactly. Paul Hindemith and Johnny Paycheck aren't for me either but you don't see me posting about it.
Johnny Paycheck did some fine work with George Jones. Paul Hindemith is like watching paint dry* (actually, Steve Reich is more like watching paint dry while inhaling paint fumes).

*I'm more of a classical music fan than anything else.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
All these fans just belting out the words to her songs.
I find this really annoying at concerts... I want to hear the artist sing (why I paid for a ticket), not everyone in some silly competition to know and sing all the words. Same with everyone recording the whole thing on their phones, instead of experiencing the experience.

Taylor Swift had her first major shot at the CMA's in 2006... she started with Country music and actually has a fantastic voice.

JSmith

darrellc

Forum Donor
My 11 year old daughter is not a fan, so there are exceptions. I listened to her top 50 tracks once to try to understand. It did nothing for me, didn’t strike me as exceptional - at all. But I watched some videos, read her story etc. and I really like Taylor Swift the person/brand. Definitely a charismatic force of nature, incredible drive and will to achieve what she has, so I get the appeal. The music just underperforms the personality in my opinion. I’d also say her appeal doesn’t carry to certain demographics.

Top Bottom