• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you guys hear a resonance in this track?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great tune and album. I dialed it up on Tidal through my main system and also through headphones and didn't identify that issue.

Too lazy to put in the CD.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The filter on the reverb sounds a little high Q so maybe that's what you're hearing?

OP
dasdoing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The filter on the reverb sounds a little high Q so maybe that's what you're hearing?

it seams to be in the reverb, yes. a specific resonance at more or lesse the frequency I pointed out though. very sutle, but it coincidenced with a too resonant correction filter I was testing. never heard something happening like this, actual filter ringing. probably the main reason why we have to be careful with correcting dips

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it seams to be in the reverb, yes. a specific resonance at more or lesse the frequency I pointed out though. very sutle, but it coincidenced with a too resonant correction filter I was testing. never heard something happening like this, actual filter ringing. probably the main reason why we have to be careful with correcting dips
Totally - sounds like they had a pretty sharp / resonant filter on the recording, if that lined up with a peaking filter you put on your own system it would tend to jump out.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Couldn’t hear anything that jumps out to me… what’s the gain and Q of the filter applied around that region?

OP
dasdoing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Couldn’t hear anything that jumps out to me… what’s the gain and Q of the filter applied around that region?

it is there

1688929371756.png

the EQ is bypassed. we can even see harmonics

it IS very subtle though.

here it is with the boost https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rdDfCO6JUEOJlbYoUM-JsfL0v9_QIXAk/view?usp=sharing

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds pretty fantastic thru headphones cranked up real loud. I never heard any anomalies. :D

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
dasdoing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Thank you. I did see that sharp peaking, but could not hear it as it seemed well masked enough on casual listening.

*Ah, it's more obvious when actively A/B listening with/out a peak filter in the chain -- I used +-10dB q=10 (proportional).

I think it is just part of that old sound we are expecting. it is absolutly not masked but I never heard it either until my room EQ pronounced it.
Here I have removed it (kind of) with a dinamic notch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oJFZLnOu0GNleFZTAU8jHarGiXZaXOuf/view?usp=sharing
at one point the resonant frequency moves up a little, which I did not remove.
here is the same part original for easy comparison: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a2-uT1o6J4xFdWIfLpf2fOucNtC8Xc9g/view?usp=sharing

warning: this might destroy the song in future listening as you might hear it forever lol

ozzy9832001

There's one song I listen to and during a guitar solo it causes this weird vibration in the room on some wha wha sound. It's at exactly 195hz. No other song has this issue...I chalk it up to poor mastering, but who really knows.

OP
dasdoing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
There's one song I listen to and during a guitar solo it causes this weird vibration in the room on some wha wha sound. It's at exactly 195hz. No other song has this issue...I chalk it up to poor mastering, but who really knows.

could be a room mode. have you checked it via phones?

Resonance? That ain't RIGHT!

no but really I didn't hear it

comparing these two files you should be able to hear it

I think it is just part of that old sound we are expecting. it is absolutly not masked but I never heard it either until my room EQ pronounced it.
Here I have removed it (kind of) with a dinamic notch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oJFZLnOu0GNleFZTAU8jHarGiXZaXOuf/view?usp=sharing
at one point the resonant frequency moves up a little, which I did not remove.
here is the same part original for easy comparison: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a2-uT1o6J4xFdWIfLpf2fOucNtC8Xc9g/view?usp=sharing

warning: this might destroy the song in future listening as you might hear it forever lol

markanini

Major Contributor
It's just part the instrumentation and room it was recorded in. I wouldn't remove it since it's what gives body to the vocals. Basically the original sounds correct.

Maybe experiment with speaker placement, if it's exaggerated by your room.

Top Bottom