• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do any of you enjoy speakers with bad measurements?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Enjoy Speakers? That is an "audiophile" vice, I enjoy Music.

Sorry, I have to call this out as the all too common Audiophile Purity Test. "Other audiophiles are just in it for the gear. I'm a muuusic lover."

No one joins a site like this who isn't in to the gear and is merely a pure music lover. Your bluff has been called. ;)

carlosmante

Sorry, I have to call this out as the all too common Audiophile Purity Test. "Other audiophiles are just in it for the gear. I'm a muuusic lover."

No one joins a site like this who isn't in to the gear and is merely a pure music lover. Your bluff has been called. ;)
Gear is a necessary evil. I don't like cars but I need transportation. You babble has been called. ha ha ha ha.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gear is a necessary evil. I don't like cars but I need transportation. You babble has been called. ha ha ha ha.

As someone who doesn't like cars, are you also a member of car enthusiast forums?

My wife and sons are music lovers, and of course they need something that will let them hear their music. But like most of the world, they are satisfied with earbuds, laptops, a smart speaker, listening in the car, or whatever is handy. Most of the music-listening world does not care about the technology much which is why they don't join audiophile/gear-enthusiast forums. That's generally limited to enthusiasts. That's what you do when you care about the gear too. To quote wikipedia's definition: "An audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction." If you are not enthusiastic about high fidelity sound reproduction, how come you joined a site like this?

(Sorry, there is of course nothing wrong with loving music. Everyone here loves music. But this "I'm A Music Lover" purity test, with it's implicit enobling of the person making the claim as if to separate themselves from other audiophiles, is certainly one of my pet peeves in the audiophile world)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There is a consistent, persistent view that anyone deeply into the science (engineering, whatever) of audio cannot be a music lover. It is as misguided as the thought that music lovers are not interested in the science, though IME the latter seems to appear more often than the former. It also seem to have happened in the last couple of decades or so; in the 1970's and 1980's a lot of audiophiles were very interested in the science of audio reproduction. Again, IME, as a tech who had to get on the sales floor now and then, musician (mostly amateur, some pro), and audiophile.

OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor

I readily admit that I love both the gear 'and' the music. The gear/science/measurements appeal to a different side of me than the music does and I see no reason why it has to be one or the other.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am Janus... both a gear freak and a music lover.

As mentioned elsewhere, My current system is Harbeth 40.1 with current Benchmark DAC and Amps.

I also have a pair of Pass mono-blocks running stacked Quad 57s that I love as well!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I readily admit that I love both the gear 'and' the music. The gear/science/measurements appeal to a different side of me than the music does and I see no reason why it has to be one or the other.

Which is precisely the point I (and others) have been making. It was the false dichotomy suggested in your post that I was calling out.

Enjoying certain speakers does not entail not enjoying the music, and your post put those two at odds.

It’s a very common (and, sorry, annoying) dig audiophiles like to use against one another, usually hypocritically: “They just care about the gear. I care about the MUSIC!” Usually stated b someone clearly in to the gear as well.

I don’t really mean to come down that hard on your comment. It was just a quick remark you made and I’m not assuming you are a dick for making it. However it is representative of the type of passive-aggressive diss seen so often from audiophiles. (And, worse, Harry Pearson used to make his imperious dig at other audiophiles all the time in the pages of TAS. Which could not have been more hypocritical)

Anyway, Cheers!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am Janus... both a gear freak and a music lover.

As mentioned elsewhere, My current system is Harbeth 40.1 with current Benchmark DAC and Amps.

I also have a pair of Pass mono-blocks running stacked Quad 57s that I love as well!

I sure like what I’ve heard from the Harbeth 40s and would choose them over many other flagship speakers.

Love stacked Quads too. Had an acquaintance who was a local amp designer. Used to listen to his double stacked quads (with a super tweeter IIRC). It was gloriously fun to experience.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People will recognise you as ASR reader. ; )

Those t-shirts are nice, but for wearing at home, Amir should have a pair of these nice warm Pink Panther slippers for those cold winter days when he heads out to his garage to work with the Klippel speaker-testing rig...

Pink Panther Slippers.jpg

Top Bottom