• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
... btw. has anyone tried to add an extra sockets for sense wires and terminate those at the speaker's end? (of course with a suitable backup resistors on the PCB in case the wiring breaks)
I have considered doing this at the amp end - taking the sense path from the speaker cable side of the connection to include that contact in the loop. I even made specific plans for how best to do it, but I won't. I'm going to be satisfied with good, gold-plated copper binding posts, connected well, and good speaker cable connections. Which binding posts did you get? I'll be using CMC 858-S-Cu-G.
1588612845216.png

Last edited:

kn0ppers

I have considered doing this at the amp end - taking the sense path from the speaker cable side of the connection to include that contact in the loop. I even made specific plans for how best to do it, but I won't. I'm going to be satisfied with good, gold-plated copper binding posts, connected well, and good speaker cable connections. Which binding posts did you get? I'll be using CMC 858-S-Cu-G.

The picture you posted looks like many of the binding posts sold on AliExpress, and most of those aren't copper, but are made of gold-plated brass. Not saying yours aren't gold-plated copper, but I would always keep some doubts in the back of my head when shopping for audio stuff.

That being said, I used these "Eizz" Brand binding posts on my ICEPower build a while ago and would likely use the same for a Purifi build. And they also claim to be made of gold plated copper...but I like the fact that they are easier to grip and tighten than most of the other ones out there.

The nicest binding posts in my opinion are WBT-0708 Cu, but paying close to 100 Euros for 4 binding posts? Even my appreciation for local manufacturing doesn't go that far...

Edit: I forgot to mention, that I would prefer Neutrik Speakon over binding posts in most cases.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The picture you posted looks like many of the binding posts sold on AliExpress, and most of those aren't copper, but are made of gold-plated brass. Not saying yours aren't gold-plated copper, but I would always keep some doubts in the back of my head when shopping for audio stuff.

No reason to use copper rather than brass. Brass will be better with respect to corrosion (gold plating is not forever).

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I used some expensive Eichmann Cable Pods on my Hypex amps:

eichmann_cable_pod__binding_post_for_speakers_and_amplifier_1462005252_45866f15.jpg

What an utter waste of money they were; the overly complicated clamp for the spade connectors failed on one of them and when sometime later I replaced them, the plastic parts had deteriorated and become weak and crumbly.

The no-name replacements I bought on Ebay, for about a tenth of the price, seem to be holding up just fine.

spk_gold_350.jpg

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I do end up building a Purify amp, I think I will opt for Speakon connectors.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure this is 100% a good idea. This would mean using the banana posts which are only attached to the PCB via two soldering joints. If you have heavy cables or you happen to trip onto them, you can cause significant damage. I think those posts are mostly to try out, not for a permanent fixture. I may be completely off the mark of course, but for Ghent it is not necessarily the best idea.

Of course one can use the connectors on the back of the EVAL1, with plugs and wires to connect to other connectors which are properly fixed to the back of the case, as explained already a few times in this thread.
I'm going to do exactly that. I've already ordered a male to male xlr microphone cable, bannana plugs, and a soldering iron. The only thing I will have to do to the case is drill the holes for the Eval 1. Everything, the Eval 1, the 3m connector, the soldering stuff and wiring, the SMPS and wiring kits, the power cord--it's all ordered. The last thing to arrive will be the SMPS b/c Hypex is out of stock. Everything should be here by June 1.

Alea jacta est.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I'm going to do exactly that. I've already ordered a male to male xlr microphone cable, bannana plugs, and a soldering iron. The only thing I will have to do to the case is drill the holes for the Eval 1. Everything, the Eval 1, the 3m connector, the soldering stuff and wiring, the SMPS and wiring kits, the power cord--it's all ordered. The last thing to arrive will be the SMPS b/c Hypex is out of stock. Everything should be here by June 1.

Alea jacta est.

Uhm, why the male to male XLR? To get two connectors and cable stumps?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
To get the xlr pins and Xlr wiring. Pins go into xlr on Evla 1, and wire up to Xlr connections on back of Ghent case.

yeah, which is sort of what I said. In fact if you want to remove the outer shell once you have cut the cable, the xlr wiring is already soldered to the pins! So you save some steps. I do not known if the Ghent case is “soldering free” but in that case you can just strip the cables, insert them, tighten the screws, done.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I quite like them, but they can be a bit fiddly to assemble. especially with thick, stiff cables/cores:

View attachment 62060
I was actually talking about installing the jacks, not the plugs. However, there are a few tricks about assembling Speakon plugs that make it rather easy: 1) use a four conductor plug but only use two conductor wire. Wire them to 1+ and 1- only. Leave 2+ and 2- disconnected; 2) use a #1 Pozidriv bit. If you use a Phillips head, you won’t be able to get the screws as tight as you need too and you will strip the screw heads and possibly damage the plastic; 3) tighten the screws hand tight only, then wait about 30 seconds until your grip has relaxed and give them one more turn; do not over tighten; 4) put a small drop of Locktite on top of each screw; 5) make sure you use the appropriately sized strain relief—either the white one or the black one—depending on the gauge of your cable. Finally, and I think this goes without saying, only use Neutrik Speakon connectors. The made in China ripoffs are total shite.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
... However, there are a few tricks about assembling Speakon plugs that make it rather easy: ...
I struggled with mine, too, but then I was using all four wires, finely stranded, at the upper limit of the gauge spec, where they say it is acceptable for soldering, but not the screws. I did best by removing the shim, then inserting the carefully twisted wire in part way, then forcing the shim back in with the wire, and finished by re-fitting the screw and tightening it down.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I struggled with mine, too, but then I was using all four wires, finely stranded, at the upper limit of the gauge spec, where they say it is acceptable for soldering, but not the screws. I did best by removing the shim, then inserting the carefully twisted wire in part way, then forcing the shim back in with the wire, and finished by re-fitting the screw and tightening it down.
Try Neutrik NL4FX (probably what you were using anyway) and Klotz LY240B twinaxial speaker cable. You can’t go wrong and guaranteed it will be an easy build. 5 minutes to terminate both ends. The thing that will make the job easier (and the end product better) is the #1 Pozidriv screwdriver bit. Also, I wouldn’t solder screw-type Speakon connectors. It is not necessary and will actually make the connection worse and prone to failure. Then again, the last time I soldered anything was 30 years ago in high school shop class.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you really want to be safe, use LY225. The cable will be thinner (2.5mm as opposed to 4.0mm) but there is no way you will have any trouble getting the two wires to fit into the screw connectors.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was actually talking about installing the jacks, not the plugs. However, there are a few tricks about assembling Speakon plugs that make it rather easy: 1) use a four conductor plug but only use two conductor wire. Wire them to 1+ and 1- only. Leave 2+ and 2- disconnected; 2) use a #1 Pozidriv bit. If you use a Phillips head, you won’t be able to get the screws as tight as you need too and you will strip the screw heads and possibly damage the plastic; 3) tighten the screws hand tight only, then wait about 30 seconds until your grip has relaxed and give them one more turn; do not over tighten; 4) put a small drop of Locktite on top of each screw; 5) make sure you use the appropriately sized strain relief—either the white one or the black one—depending on the gauge of your cable. Finally, and I think this goes without saying, only use Neutrik Speakon connectors. The made in China ripoffs are total shite.
Also, regarding the inner wires, strip about 1cm of insulation off (that might seem more than necessary but it’s key to getting the wires into the slots) and twist the copper strands together (as I’m sure everyone automatically does). Don’t tin the leads as it is unnecessary and will only make the connection worse, not better. Also, you can completely remove the screws and put the Loctite on the screw threads before reinstalling and tightening if you feel that Loctite only on the head of the screw isn’t good enough.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
... Don’t tin the leads as it is unnecessary and will only make the connection worse, not better. ...
In some cases, I tin just the tip of the stranded wire, to hold the strands together and prevent developing 'strays'.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In some cases, I tin just the tip of the stranded wire, to hold the strands together and prevent developing 'strays'.
I get it that people do that. It makes insertion into the screw slots harder and introduces a point of failure, though.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
... It makes insertion into the screw slots harder and introduces a point of failure, though.
As I do it, the intent, and result, is to make insertion into channels much easier and cleaner - that's why I do it. No fraying, now, or later. And I can't think of any possible degradation of contact quality or reliability, short term, or long, versus not doing it. Note that I said just the tip of the stranded wire, not the whole stripped length.
IMG_4966cropsml.jpg

Top Bottom