• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
And / or silent fans noise < 19 dB (A).

Small boxes are usually problematic in amplifiers that are connected to current loudspeakers, many of them with true sensitivity of 83-85-89 dB and minimum impedance of about 4 Ohms (2-ways) or 3 Ohms (3-ways) is quite common. And if you listen to very good recording with high or very DR... as DR19 of 1812 Overture -> heat.
This is wrong. Low dynamic range recordings are more likely to produce higher heat levels as they have a higher average power level. The Purifi has no requirement for fans.

Last edited:

MMorrill88

They are efficient speakers, didn't know they need the extra power. Good to know.

I'm thinking about Purifi and NC500 too
They're both excellent as far as far as I'm concerned. Which is better? Idk like SIY said I'm probably not really hearing anything too different between the two, most of it is in my head.

MMorrill88

Why Purifi vs NC500, rather than Purifi vs NC400?
Already had the nords, got them used for a good price a little while ago. I bought the eval 1 as a little hobby to get into, basically since I liked the hypex stuff so much I thought why not try Bruno's new stuff out?

maty

Major Contributor
If you make the mistake of using small boxes, low sensitivity speakers, high volume and large dynamic range recordings then a forced dissipation will be necessary. That is activated from a threshold.

In normal listening and the usual commercial recordings probably not. But for such badly produced music it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on the stereo, I say.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
If you make the mistake of using small boxes, low sensitivity speakers, high volume and large dynamic range recordings then a forced dissipation will be necessary. That is activated from a threshold.

In normal listening and the usual commercial recordings probably not. But for such badly produced music it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on the stereo, I say.
Wrong. For the reasons I have already pointed out. It's the highly compressed low dynamics recordings that will have a higher average power level and hence produce more heat. You have it backwards Maty.

The Purifi are more efficient, more so than the previous Hypex designs. No one will have issues with heat.

TimoJ

Klipsch Rp8000F and Focal 816v, mostly the Klipsch.
If you listen your Purifi amp with Klipschs, do you hear any hissing noise with your ear close to tweeter (using just the amp without source connected) ?

MMorrill88

If you listen your Purifi amp with Klipschs, do you hear any hissing noise with your ear close to tweeter (using just the amp without source connected) ?
With the Freya in passive mode I hear nothing. But in jfet yes. In tube mode there's a ton a hiss. So no I don't hear anything. Just unplugged the xlr inputs and still no noise.

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With the Freya in passive mode I hear nothing. But in jfet yes. In tube mode there's a ton a hiss. So no I don't hear anything. Just unplugged the xlr inputs and still no noise.
Still no noise with open inputs is pretty good, since the input impedance is high(ish).

Last edited:

TimoJ

If I want to wire a front panel "power" switch, can I use amp enable signal for it? I mean: connect amp enable wire from SMPS1200 via the on/off switch to the EVAL board. Is that enough or is there another way to do this? I will remove S1 switch, do I need to remove R3 if I remove the switch?

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
If I want to wire a front panel "power" switch, can I use amp enable signal for it? I mean: connect amp enable wire from SMPS1200 via the on/off switch to the EVAL board. Is that enough or is there another way to do this? I will remove S1 switch, do I need to remove R3 if I remove the switch?
You want either a "real" power switch for the mains AC going into your power supply, OR some means of using a power supply standby mode, which likely needs a separate standby power supply (depending on your specific build details). @JimM gave his example build that does that:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-20#post-314342

For reference, if you are happy to let the power supply be on all the time, you might want to do what Purifi appears to have done with their demo amps:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-14#post-304953

Do NOT remove R3:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-10#post-300209

Last edited:

TimoJ

You want either a "real" power switch for the mains AC going into your power supply, OR some means of using a power supply standby mode, which likely needs a separate standby power supply (depending on your specific build details). @JimM gave his example build that does that:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-20#post-314342

You do not remove R3.
I'm going to use an external relay that cuts AC power from the amp and is controller via preamp's 12V trigger outputs. Maybe I'll forget the front panel switch and put just a LED there. EVAL1 board has two status LEDs, are those just single color? Do they normally just remain on or do they do something during a startup?

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
I'm going to use an external relay that cuts AC power from the amp and is controller via preamp's 12V trigger outputs. Maybe I'll forget the front panel switch and put just a LED there. EVAL1 board has two status LEDs, are those just single color? Do they normally just remain on or do they do something during a startup?
The datasheet says:
"Two red LED’s will light up when all supply voltages are within operational range."

"READY signals are connected to individual LED’s on FE02A. LED’s are located close to pin 1 of the
amplifier edge connectors."

Last edited:
Top Bottom