• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY cable gallery and discussion

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you want a nice soldering iron or a basic entry level iron? A nice iron generally has better temperature regulation, temperature range adjustment, more comfortable to hold and can have changeable tips. A basic iron can sometimes change tips, almost always has no adjustable temperature range adjustment and some of them get warm to hold onto.
A Hakko FX888B is s very nice soldering station. It will do everything you need and more. Most likely will last for many years. It comes with a sponge so you don't need to buy one extra.
It's nice to buy maybe about 5 feet or 2m of some solder wick too. It is very handy to have around in case you need to remove solder.
Having isopropyl alcohol on hand for cleanup is good too with some cue tips. 70% purity isopropyl is good enough the 100% stuff is very flammable and dangerous.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are basic soldering irons in a good quality name brand.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Best iron I've ever used is this basic weller one with led's that light the work area. I can't imagine ever spending more than that. I've done all sort of work with it, SMD, crossovers, cables, etc. There's definitely a skill to using them.

wacomme

Best iron I've ever used is this basic weller one with led's that light the work area. I can't imagine ever spending more than that. I've done all sort of work with it, SMD, crossovers, cables, etc. There's definitely a skill to using them.
Which one?

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ive been soldering cables for years.
For me, a headphone cable must be as thin, soft and flexible as possible.
Beacause that i usually take one from B&W

Screenshot_20210525-105804_eBay.jpg

20200102_165233.jpg
20220306_074638.jpg
20210815_072452.jpg
Screenshot_20210411-143959_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg

20220426_095122-1.jpg

Last edited:

Triliza

Forum Donor
Looks like this is the current version of it. The LED's are just kind of amazing. Really helps you see your work and your how your flow is going.

I have what is probably the previous version of this one. Not that I do a lot of soldering, but it gets the job done when needed. For an amateur it's a nice and cheap tool to have.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
IMO by buying the appropriate crimp tooling or brushing up on soldering skills, and finding a label maker that prints on heat shrink as well as a heat gun. The two most sonically important things about an interconnect are integrity of the connections and that it’s plugged in to the correct jacks on each end.

I recently made some cables for our 2-channel system. (The others in the picture came with my NC400 monoblocs. I added heat shrink on the connectors to color code.) Bulk cable and connectors are a mix of Canare and Liberty AV “MHR” mini coax (their “Bargain Bin” section sells the connectors and strain relief for almost nothing.).

I used the Canare cable stripper (TS100 or something like that - it’s expensive but fast to use and perfect at the job; one can get by with a less fancy tool). To crimp I used the Canare crimp tooling (made by Pressmaster in Sweden) and Rennsteig tooling for the MHR. I labeled them with a Phoenix Contact Thermofox and their heat shrink cartridges. An expensive heat gun doesn’t make a difference for this simple task. A $15 box store one with the curved heat shrink extension is basically as good as my Steinel. Additionally, I used the cable and strain reliefs to color code - orange for coax digital, CEA standard colors for L/R/subs.

View attachment 211019

I had to make a lot of interconnects when setting up an active speaker system a few years ago, so I bought the Canare stripper and crimper with specific die for the connectors I was using. It's so easy and quick... Highly recommended.

wacomme

Are there any advantages to more expensive soldering irons? That Ersa is expensive!!!!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Are there any advantages to more expensive soldering irons? That Ersa is expensive!!!!
Good thermostatic control means you can set it to the best temp for your solder, and it won't get super hot, burn flux, vaporize lead, and possibly damage less stuff. Of course, you still need ventilation, and it is pretty easy to control the heat transfer with a barebones one anyway. The Joules (amount of heat energy) transferred is also dependent on time, thermal mass, and conductivity, so precise temperature control, while a good thing, would be easy to overestimate too.

Top Bottom