• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY bookshelf suggestion

Alan J

I'm looking for suggestions on a DIY build with the following specs/constraints...
  • Passive
  • Suitable for a 10'x15' room with speakers on a long (15') wall
  • Bass needs to be managed in deference to the apartment neighbors.
  • Due to space constraints and a (pending) small child, placement needs to on a shelf close to the wall.
  • Aesthetically, the customer (gift recipient, actually) prefers a classic 1980's look, though decor is mostly sleek/modern.
  • Sonically,
    • the kind of accuracy and wide dispersion that tends to be favored on this site.
    • sound good at lower levels and outside a listening position sweet spot
  • Emotionally, an heirloom for one of my children and his family.
  • Financially, let's say $1,500 max for the pair, for drivers and crossover components.
My prior build was these Linkwitz LXMini derived speakers for another child. I was thrilled with them, but those aesthetics don't work in this case. I have toyed with the idea of surrounding them with an acoustic cloth and wire frame but that's probably too much of a departure from the classic aesthetic, plus they have a Sonos amp that they want to keep.

I was planning on building a pair of Dennis Murphy BMR's, plugging the ports for the current apartment-with-neighbors use, but unfortunately there is no longer a supplier for the drivers or crossover design. I would buy them from Dennis if it weren't for the hand-crafted heirloom requirement.

Suggestions from this group appreciated!

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

If you built them closed with the enclosure size for Qtc 0.707 they will have -3dB@80hz. Close to the wall I think this could work, if not they could be easily paired with a sub.

Ideally you'd built a speaker that was made for being close to the wall from the beginning.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you built them closed with the enclosure size for Qtc 0.707 they will have -3dB@80hz. Close to the wall I think this could work, if not they could be easily paired with a sub.

Ideally you'd built a speaker that was made for being close to the wall from the beginning.

I agree that a sealed design is a better match for the OP’s requirements.

Might ask Dennis if he would support a bare bones purchase of one of his mini monitor designs. He may also have plans for the BMR monitor parts, but port stuffing is compromising the design unless you plan to later use them as designed. Would be better off reducing the cabinet volume for a proper sealed design.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan J

Thanks, all for the suggestions. Some existing threads over at DIYAudio point toward the Jeff Bagby and Paul Carmody designs, whether sealed (Carmody Continuum II) or with front ports. Unfortunately, access to the Bagby designs is uncertain, pending what happens post closure of Meniscus.

Dennis has no plans to find another vendor for the kit version of the BMR. The Philharmonic Ceramic Minis are designed for use with or without a rear port plug.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would seal up some Zaph SR71s over Continuums. Mark K‘s ER18 looks even more promising, but may not be as good a deal as no kit is available. If you like Bagby’s work, might consider the Helix MT over at DIYsoundgroup.com. It seems a great value to me and you can get precut front baffles.:)

gab

Alan - Maybe a long shot since Meniscus has shut down (retirement), but I would still reach out to Mark and see if any of the upper end Bagby designs (Spirit Wind, Helios, etc) could still be procurred as a kit (drivers/crossovers). With your woodworking skills, these could be true heirlooms. Also reach out to @Wolf on this site

Spirit Wind: https://diyspeakerforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=532

Helios: https://meniscusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Helios-build-Part-4-compressed.pdf

Jeff's comment on the Helios: "So, if this the best speaker I have designed? Yes, I believe it is.
After listening to it in my home for a few weeks I became more convinced of that than ever. And
when I put the Spiritwinds back on and they left me wishing for the Helios, I knew for sure then
."

RIP Jeff.

Last edited:

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mark ultimately took the Helios and Spirirt Winds off the website because he was not able to get the drivers. Whether that is quick enough to satisfy orders or at all, I don't know. I also know that many inquiries to build them also happened, but fulfilling even those was not possible.

The rumor is that some of them will still be available in the near future, but to what extent I don't know.

I do know that there are super limited 8 pair of RS28A awaiting Continuums kit sales, but when those will be up for grabs is up in the air. How do I know this? I traded them for an air-circ and a pair of U18 a while ago, and I know Mark still has them pending such a arrangement.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I'm looking for suggestions on a DIY build with the following specs/constraints...
  • Passive
  • Suitable for a 10'x15' room with speakers on a long (15') wall
  • Bass needs to be managed in deference to the apartment neighbors.
  • Due to space constraints and a (pending) small child, placement needs to on a shelf close to the wall.
  • Aesthetically, the customer (gift recipient, actually) prefers a classic 1980's look, though decor is mostly sleek/modern.
  • Sonically,
    • the kind of accuracy and wide dispersion that tends to be favored on this site.
    • sound good at lower levels and outside a listening position sweet spot
  • Emotionally, an heirloom for one of my children and his family.
  • Financially, let's say $1,500 max for the pair, for drivers and crossover components.
My prior build was these Linkwitz LXMini derived speakers for another child. I was thrilled with them, but those aesthetics don't work in this case. I have toyed with the idea of surrounding them with an acoustic cloth and wire frame but that's probably too much of a departure from the classic aesthetic, plus they have a Sonos amp that they want to keep.

I was planning on building a pair of Dennis Murphy BMR's, plugging the ports for the current apartment-with-neighbors use, but unfortunately there is no longer a supplier for the drivers or crossover design. I would buy them from Dennis if it weren't for the hand-crafted heirloom requirement.

Suggestions from this group appreciated!
I strongly suggest to leave the good ol' BBC path, going 2way namely, and seek out for a decent three way. As you give it out of hand a mandatory equalization won't suit, right? Leaving people alone while asking them to e/q their speakers along some recipe quickly becomes a nightmare.

The room isn't that big, and a clone of the Neuman 310 would fit the needs. Problem is to get the bass out of a reasonably sized sealed box. E/q could help, but see above. I don't wont to spoil your plans, but would it be appropriate to buy a used pair of KEF R3s, organize a paint job, car body quality, and tame the lower treble a bit? You'll be hard pressed to superseed it's merits.

OP
A

Alan J

Thanks again to all who've made suggestions. The Jeff Bagly designs look really promising (honoring his contributions is a plus) if the plans become available again and drivers can be found, as do some of the Heissmanns and Mark K's SEAS design (which seems to be motivation for one of the Heissmanns).

Question: How do speakers with passive radiators (side- or rear-mounted) do near a back wall? If problematic, I might consider giving up some low end with a sealed version of one of these.

Last edited:

badspeakerdesigner

Honestly if you're doing DIY and not making something something with good dispersion, you're IMO wasting your time and effort. I'd argue there's really like 10 or 15 designs out there worth building and Heissmann has a lot of that bunch. For your space size, you really don't need much. I use a pair of C-notes in a similar sized room and those are plenty, and they get silly loud for the space. DXT Mon would be my vote.

fineMen

Major Contributor
... I might consider giving up some low end with a sealed version of one of these.
Don't. Bass is a major factor in subjectively evaluating a speaker (as trustworthy). Avoid two-ways.

badspeakerdesigner

I don't think that would be a problem at all. The woofer in the front is basically going to be radiating that way anyway since lower stuff starts to get more omni.

Not sure why finemen says avoid two ways.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Emotionally, an heirloom for one of my children and his family.
For a true heirloom experience, have you considered purchasing spare drivers?

It's not unheard of for drivers to be damaged during moves or by curious children. And drivers are discontinued eventually. Just a thought. (I think about this a lot when it comes to speakers I've built for myself and/or gifts. Should I stock up on spare parts?)

On a similar note, it could be nice to include crossover specifications for when the capacitors eventually need replacing in 25ish years.

Finally, let me say that is a really cool gift idea. A wonderful legacy. Will sound good 50 or 100 years from now. :)

Waxx

Major Contributor
The Seas A26 kit could fit. It's based on the legendaric Dynaco A25 (with all Seas drivers, the Seas A25 woofer and the Seas H087 tweeter) and is highly rated. It gives bass, but not that much (what you want) and is not a kit, but a free plan on the site of Seas. Drivers are the Seas A26RE4 woofer and the Seas TC35C002 tweeter. It's design and response is extensive documented and discussed on diyaudio.com by many expert speakers builders (but in many treads, google them).

There are also a few variation of it, and a commercial variation (with a Morel CAT378 tweeter in stead of the Seas TC35) is the now very popular (but not well executed) Devore O96 and O93 speakers that go for ridiculous money in the audiophool world. Of this there are also variations that are wel documented and tested.

You need to source the parts yourself (but they are widely availeble), but the design is for free on the Seas site: http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=475:seas-a26-kit&catid=66&Itemid=250

Top Bottom