• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac & Roon?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Dirac FAQ says this ....

4.1. What sample rates does DAP support?

The DAP supports any sample rates up to 192 kHz which have been designed into the Dirac Live® filters. The sample rates designed into the Dirac Live® filters are selected by the user from the rates supported by the sound device used in the DLCT. However, to fully support a certain sample rate, then each of the blocks in the process line below have to support that rate. Note that the operating system can be configured to a different sample rate than the media player, making the operating system re-sample the data to its configured sample rate. This re-sampling can be detrimental to the audio quality! Try setting the operating system to use the original source sampling rate. User control over sampling rate is not possible in Windows XP.

That reads like it convolves at the native rate (up to 192k), i.e. Dirac does not reseample.

I imagine Roon's upsampling is high quality though, definitely compared to Win10/macOS.

txbdan

I'm using the Dirac Live 2.0 plugin in SoundSource (from the makers of AudioHijack, but simpler/cheaper) on my Mac Mini and it works very well. I've noticed something odd, though.

If i run Audirvana, exclusive mode off, it controls the sample rate of SoundSource and the DL plugin perfectly. Local HiRes FLACs or MQA streaming from Tidal doing a software unfold, all good. Every song changes the sample rate as needed. And the sample rate is the "first unfold" SR, MQAs play at 24/96, etc.

But if i run the Tidal app, it requires exclusive mode ON in order to control the sample rate in SoundSource. And even then it seems to be the "not unfolded" sample rate. Ie, 44.1 or 48KHz. But SoundSource sample rate does change accordingly.

But if Tidal exclusive mode is ON, then the DL plugin won't work. If i turn Tidal exclusive mode off, then the plugin works, but the sample rate stays fixed and doesn't adapt to the song.

Why do the two apps behave differently?

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
If i run Audirvana, exclusive mode off, it controls the sample rate of SoundSource and the DL plugin perfectly. Local HiRes FLACs or MQA streaming from Tidal doing a software unfold, all good. Every song changes the sample rate as needed. MQAs play at 24/96, etc.

Can I ask how you know incoming sample rate is changing automatically with this Audirvana case?

Does SoundSource show you the 'incoming' sample rate?

txbdan

Can I ask how you know incoming sample rate is changing automatically with this Audirvana case?

Does SoundSource show you the 'incoming' sample rate?

Yep. The sample rate shown there changes with the file being played.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 10.24.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 10.24.43 AM.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 193

Music1969

Major Contributor
https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series

Consider the minidsp SHD series. It is currently a roon ready product and has not yet been certified, but will soon be officially supported.
If the NAS is used as a roon core, Dirac and roon can be used without a PC or MAC.

Roon Ready or Roon Tested? I see it runs Volumio

That is indeed a nice solution.

The new Dirac Bass Control is supported?

STUDIO51

Roon Ready or Roon Tested? I see it runs Volumio

That is indeed a nice solution.

The new Dirac Bass Control is supported?

Dirac Bass Controll is not yet supported. But I am looking forward to it.

Below is the setting window of my minidsp SHD. As you can see it is roon ready.

The minidsp team is increasing roon compatibility through firmware. It will soon be certified by roon.

스크린샷 2020-05-07 오후 8.06.30.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm using the Dirac Live 2.0 plugin in SoundSource (from the makers of AudioHijack, but simpler/cheaper) on my Mac Mini and it works very well. I've noticed something odd, though.

If i run Audirvana, exclusive mode off, it controls the sample rate of SoundSource and the DL plugin perfectly. Local HiRes FLACs or MQA streaming from Tidal doing a software unfold, all good. Every song changes the sample rate as needed. And the sample rate is the "first unfold" SR, MQAs play at 24/96, etc.

But if i run the Tidal app, it requires exclusive mode ON in order to control the sample rate in SoundSource. And even then it seems to be the "not unfolded" sample rate. Ie, 44.1 or 48KHz. But SoundSource sample rate does change accordingly.

But if Tidal exclusive mode is ON, then the DL plugin won't work. If i turn Tidal exclusive mode off, then the plugin works, but the sample rate stays fixed and doesn't adapt to the song.

Just re-visiting this - check this out.

"Note 1: Exclusive audio should be disabled when using Audio Hijack as that bypasses their audio capture engine"

http://diracdocs.com/Roon_&_Dirac_Live_2.0.pdf

I assume same applies to Audirvana and SoundSource

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor

Also, what if you by-pass BlackHole ?

I though BlackHole is only required if you don't use something like AudioHijack or SoundSource?

From SoundSource, what happens if you just choose to 'redirect' sound directly from the applications (Tidal and Audirvana) instead of using Blackhole?

1591766010407.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
Another query @txbdan

When using SoundSource + DiracLive Plugin with YouTube or Netflix videos, is there any lip sync issue?

I'm just curious if Dirac's DSP adds enough latency to cause lip sync issues with audio and video sync.

Or there's nothing noticeable?

txbdan

My DL trial is now over so i can't run it to verify, but i'm 99% sure Aurirvana had to be not in exclusive mode in order to run the DL plugin. This seemed acceptable as everything else functioned as expected.

Right, you no longer need BlackHole if you have SoundSource.

"No redirect" runs it through the SoundSource "main out" so if you have a plugin on the Main Out you want it set it that way. You have the option to run a plugin on the app specific channel as well, though. Instead of "No redirect" you can select an audio device to have the audio sent there directly. So the "redirect" is speaking to where this source is being routed TO.

I haven't consciously tried a youtube vid with DL enabled, although i must have watched a video during that time. I didn't notice anything significantly off.

I'm sending my speakers off to Amir for testing, but when they come back i'll likely pay up for DL 2.0. It was very good. I can test more then, prob 5 weeks or so.

I also noticed that with no plugin loaded (or plugin disabled), i can play an MQA track in either Tidal or Audirvana and as long as the SoundSource application volume is set to 100%, it'll pass through the MQA properly as indicated by my MQA decoder. If i set the volume to anythign else or load a plugin of course then SoundSource is modifyig the signal and i lose MQA. This is with the SoundSource application output set to "No Redirect" or directly to the audio device. So SoundSource is bitperfect as long as you don't mess with the signal which is good.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Right, you no longer need BlackHole if you have SoundSource.

Thanks!

I saw BlackHole was still an input in your SoundSource screenshot. That was the reason I asked.

but i'm 99% sure Aurirvana had to be not in exclusive mode in order to run the DL plugin. This seemed acceptable as everything else functioned as expected.

Noted, seems to fall in line with Dirac's recommendation, as per quote I shared above

I'm sending my speakers off to Amir for testing

Oooh very exciting. Which speakers?

I also noticed that with no plugin loaded (or plugin disabled), i can play an MQA track in either Tidal or Audirvana and as long as the SoundSource application volume is set to 100%, it'll pass through the MQA properly as indicated by my MQA decoder. If i set the volume to anythign else or load a plugin of course then SoundSource is modifyig the signal and i lose MQA. This is with the SoundSource application output set to "No Redirect" or directly to the audio device. So SoundSource is bitperfect as long as you don't mess with the signal which is good.

Thanks for this info! MQA is actually a great bit-perfect test so this is confirmation that SoundSource can operately bit perfectly. Otherwise you wouldn't get MQA showing on an MQA DAC.

Which MQA DAC are you using by the way?

Last edited:

txbdan

I'm sending an NHT C1 and a C3. I really dig the C3, curious to see what he thinks.

My DAC/Amp is a NAD 3045.

Top Bottom