• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
From everything I have read--as I would love to be able to do the same thing--it's not a simple matter as there's no way to keep inherently asynchronous USB devices in sync.

If you used a Mac then this would be pretty trivial. That’s obviously not a solution if you want to use your general purpose PC as DLBC host, but if you run a dedicated PC for this then you might as well make that a Mac. There, you can combine multiple audio devices (like USB DACs) into an aggregate device while keeping them all synchronised.

Iceee

There is the miniDSP U-DIO8 which is a USB to Spdif bridge which allows two or more dacs to be set to its clock provided the dacs are connected via spidf. The DACS should be of identical make and model. Benchmark has successfully used its own units in this fashion.

Kal Rubinson wrote up an article on the $299 unit some time back.

Of course probably simpler to just buy an Octo, Topping or a Motu multi channel dac in the first place. Connects a maximun of 8 channels. Would be nice if miniDSP updated it to connect 16 channels and included a digital master volume control.
This is such a great information, tnx. I have 2ch dac SMSL SU-9, if I use miniDSP U-DIO8 & another SMSL SU-9 to get 2.2, will DLBC in Dirac PC standalone app see it as 4channel and do proper bass managment for the each sub separately? Thanks

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is such a great information, tnx. I have 2ch dac SMSL SU-9, if I use miniDSP U-DIO8 & another SMSL SU-9 to get 2.2, will DLBC in Dirac PC standalone app see it as 4channel and do proper bass managment for the each sub separately? Thanks
It will. I run DLBC and I do exactly that. You need to set it up a "custom channel configuration" where you choose stereo and then add two subs. Then go back to the main page of the processor and changes its label to custom. You should see four channels on the "Audio Configuration" tab. Check off the first four channels and it will send four channels. After you do that hit "Calibrate". That should take you to the measurement tool and it should show a layout of two stereo channels with two subs.

I do this in the standalone processor. It's possible to use the plugin, but that involves adding a line to an apdata file using the Windows powershell. How to do that is in the menu, and I did it successfully. Problem is, from that point on, that's the only layout recognized by Dirac, so I decided to run the 2,2 out of the standalone processor, and use a plugin to run my 5.1 home theater layout.

Iceee

It will. I run DLBC and I do exactly that. You need to set it up a "custom channel configuration" where you choose stereo and then add two subs. Then go back to the main page of the processor and changes its label to custom. You should see four channels on the "Audio Configuration" tab. Check off the first four channels and it will send four channels. After you do that hit "Calibrate". That should take you to the measurement tool and it should show a layout of two stereo channels with two subs.

I do this in the standalone processor. It's possible to use the plugin, but that involves adding a line to an apdata file using the Windows powershell. How to do that is in the menu, and I did it successfully. Problem is, from that point on, that's the only layout recognized by Dirac, so I decided to run the 2,2 out of the standalone processor, and use a plugin to run my 5.1 home theater layout.
You are a life saver many thanks. I fell in love with my Marantz PM15s2 Limited edition and now I can have 2 subs with proper DLBC without selling it, yeee. Long live the USA, miniDSP & phoenixdogfan, Americaaa, Americaaa (jim carrey shouted that in one movie) :D. I used Marantz SR 7008 with Audyssey XT32 it was fine but I like Dirac more than that setup, one click of a mouse and profile with more bass is already playing etc...

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is the miniDSP U-DIO8 which is a USB to Spdif bridge which allows two or more dacs to be set to its clock provided the dacs are connected via spidf. The DACS should be of identical make and model. Benchmark has successfully used its own units in this fashion.

Interesting. When I read the original question, I assumed that @mikematrix was seeking a simple software solution using two USB DACs and no other hardware.

The price for that miniDSP interface is now $399 versus $599 for a Topping DM7. Probably a hard sell at this point.

Ricwa

Forum Donor

Someone correct me if I am wrong… but doesn’t the method of synching 2 DACs using a U-DI08 require that the U-DI08 be the clock master and the external DACs operate as slaves? Thus only DACs supporting synchronous mode (where the clock is supplied in-band from the external source) can be used, right? I have both a topping DX-7 Pro Plus and a D30 Pro. The DX-7 supports synchronous mode but the D30 doesn’t.

Last edited:

Iceee

I might even buy this for 2 dacs and 2.2 system:

Screenshot_2023-03-13-15-40-33-877.jpeg

Flak

Industry Insider
Didn't try myself but Mac instructions for aggregating two DACs and correcting the drift between them are available here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

https://support.apple.com/guide/audio-midi-setup/set-aggregate-device-settings-ams094c7edb4/mac

while this document might help for Windows:

Iceee

Didn't try myself but Mac instructions for aggregating two DACs and correcting the drift between them are available here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

https://support.apple.com/guide/audio-midi-setup/set-aggregate-device-settings-ams094c7edb4/mac

while this document might help for Windows:
Appreciate the info

Wen new dirac spatial room correction coming out? It says spring, but can we expect it in 4. or 5. month maybe? And if we have stereo license will it be possible to upgrade to spatial

Flak

Industry Insider
Appreciate the info

Wen new dirac spatial room correction coming out? It says spring, but can we expect it in 4. or 5. month maybe? And if we have stereo license will it be possible to upgrade to spatial
Thanks, Icee!
I expect that Active Room treatment will be released as an add-on option for both Stereo and Multichannel versions of Dirac Live but I can't say when...

Zoomer

isn't $500 a bit of ridiculous price or even the 350
We only got ourselves to blame by detailing what a royal pita manual (multi)sub integration is...;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We only got ourselves to blame by detailing what a royal pita manual (multi)sub integration is...;)
it's really remarkable what DLBC does. and it's only surpassed by what ART is capable of doing.

Everything else (including personal efforts) feels so bland in comparison.

armigo

Forum Donor
it's really remarkable what DLBC does. and it's only surpassed by what ART is capable of doing.

Everything else (including personal efforts) feels so bland in comparison.

Yeah that's the problem I complain now but in the end I will probably pay for it :facepalm:

and it's only surpassed by what ART is capable of doing.
Lets see if we'll ever get that and if I'll have to sell a limb for that

Last edited:

MixMonkey

What is your guys' opinion isn't $500 a bit of ridiculous price or even the 350 with initial discount. I mean just for the upgrade
If your system is already capable of using it (multi-out DAC etc), then try the demo. For me, it was worth the money.

Davide

Can anyone tell me if in DLBC the 2.2 configuration is effectively managed as stereo, or if the two subwoofers are managed according to another logic? (Ex. mix down 0.5*L+0.5*R)

caught gesture

Forum Donor
To confirm, this requires a multi-channel DAC?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does it allow for correction of a 4 sub system with 2 stereo subs per channel?

Top Bottom