• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control coming to Dirac Live Stereo This YEAR!!

MixMonkey

Works just fine with my Octo DAC 8 Pro and would probably work fine with my Motu M4 if I were to put it to use that way and had a way to control volume in all four channels from the PC (Motu's volume control only controls the front two channels).
I was replying to a post from someone who was currently using Dirac via MiniDSP hardware. The MiniDSP hardware doesn't support DLBC.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was replying to a post from someone who was currently using Dirac via MiniDSP hardware. The MiniDSP hardware doesn't support DLBC.
I understand b/c all miniDSPs are 2 x whatever. Just pointing out that things like the Motu, Topping, and Octo are multi channel input via USB, so they're the way to go with a multi channel Dirac output from a PC.

MixMonkey

I understand b/c all miniDSPs are 2 x whatever. Just pointing out that things like the Motu, Topping, and Octo are multi channel input via USB, so they're the way to go with a multi channel Dirac output from a PC.
Absolutely agree:) It's just unfortunate that people with Mini DSP hardware (that incorporates Dirac) don't have an easy upgrade path to DLBC.
I have an RME HDSPe AES card that I use for all computer audio I/O. My MiniDSP SHD Studio sat between the RME card and the Benchmark DAC3DX (mains) and a Benchmark DAC2DX (subs), so for me the upgrade path was removing the SHD Studio and connecting the RME card directly to the DACs.

mikematrix

Hello, I am looking for a program under Windows that would allow me to connect 2 identical DACs via USB and which would be seen as 1 device with 4 channels for Dirac. Ideas ?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello, I am looking for a program under Windows that would allow me to connect 2 identical DACs via USB and which would be seen as 1 device with 4 channels for Dirac. Ideas ?

From everything I have read--as I would love to be able to do the same thing--it's not a simple matter as there's no way to keep inherently asynchronous USB devices in sync.

mikematrix

Arf, so that's not the solution either...
The best choice then remains a multi-channel DAC but with remote control and a reasonable price that does not run the streets.
Okto DAC8 Pro ans topping DM7 but they are xlr and trs.
Without remote control, ultralite MK5 with trs too.

Andry

I bought an Asus Xonar u7 mkii to start my experiments with dlbc, it was the cheapest solution (68e) with a decent quality (I hope) and a volume knob.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought an Asus Xonar u7 mkii to start my experiments with dlbc

If you are not in the race for best SNR then one of those will work just fine. In Windows I used one of these to do everything my Okto does now.

Iceee

Hi, if I have PC standalone version Dirac Stereo with Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC), will any AVR with HDMI do proper DLBC for sub? Or sub will only be recognized with official DLBC AVRs like Arcam AVR21?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hi, if I have PC standalone version Dirac Stereo with Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC), will any AVR with HDMI do proper DLBC for sub? Or sub will only be recognized with official DLBC AVRs like Arcam AVR21?
I think proper integration is only possible with the one device running DLBC for all channels - I don't think you can distributed DLBC processing...

ie: either run DLBC in you PC - with whatever limitations that imposes, or in your AVR... but not both.

And getting more than 7.1 out of a PC is difficult...

Iceee

I think proper integration is only possible with the one device running DLBC for all channels - I don't think you can distributed DLBC processing...

ie: either run DLBC in you PC - with whatever limitations that imposes, or in your AVR... but not both.

And getting more than 7.1 out of a PC is difficult...
If I use older AVR like Marantz SR7012 hdmi - PC standalone Dirac Live Bass Control, since its recognized in win 10 as 7.1 multichannel will DLBC work as intended (recognize sub, set crossover etc), tnx

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If I use older AVR like Marantz SR7012 hdmi - PC standalone Dirac Live Bass Control, since its recognized in win 10 as 7.1 multichannel will DLBC work as intended (recognize sub, set crossover etc), tnx
If you are passing through 7.1 - ie: no decoding or processing in the AVR - then DLBC in the PC will work fine. (probably sending to AVR as PCM)

But that implies no height channels, and no multisub.

Andry

I don't have a second sub at this time, but in this topic was affirmed that is possible to assign the center channel of the hdmi to a sub so if avr have pre outs the second sub can be connected to the center pre out. Obviously the second sub should be turned off if the avr is used to see multichannel content from another source and the center channel should be connected directly to the avr.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I don't have a second sub at this time, but in this topic was affirmed that is possible to assign the center channel of the hdmi to a sub so if avr have pre outs the second sub can be connected to the center pre out. Obviously the second sub should be turned off if the avr is used to see multichannel content from another source and the center channel should be connected directly to the avr.
Not all AVR's have this capability (in fact it is quite rare)

The just announced Integra DRX 8.4 has the ability to biamp the center channel (as well as L & R) - so this would be an example of an AVR with that capability.

But it is by no means a cheap AVR (MSRP= US$3200) - it is expected to be quite a powerhouse though.

Iceee

What are all "better" options if I want to use PC standalone DLBC and stereo amp without Dirac, Topping DM7, Okto8 anything else? Sub cant be recognized separately with Dirac Live Bass Control with Minidsp flex, only joined with L or R speaker without delay and crossover in Dirac app?

Andry

Not all AVR's have this capability (in fact it is quite rare)

The just announced Integra DRX 8.4 has the ability to biamp the center channel (as well as L & R) - so this would be an example of an AVR with that capability.

But it is by no means a cheap AVR (MSRP= US$3200) - it is expected to be quite a powerhouse though.
I m sorry I don't understand exactly the function you are talking about (center channel bi amping?). I was saying that it is possible to say to dlbc to use the center channel as a sub and if we want to use the avr with other sources in multichannel, the center channel could be connected directly to the power amp of the avr and the second sub, connected to pre out, should be turned off. I will try this configuration, but using an Asus xonar connected to the discrete input of my Avr.

mikematrix

Just tried DBC over HDMI to an AVR. A little messy but it works. In my case it is necessary to put in 7.1 48khz (PCM to the amp) and activate the output 1,2,4 if not it is the central which is used.
Impossible to put 2 subwoofer even by telling diract to put the 2nd subwoofer at output 4 via "custom channel config".
If not overall it works but I don't see the point if the speakers go down low enough.
And for a 7.1 configuration I have the back surrounds which are reversed and impossible to put them back in the right place. With a true 7.1 sound card I think it is possible to swap surround and surround back.
Strange also that the "custom channel config" does not work for me.

Edit: oooh I have only just seen now that there is a custom "channel" in the choice of the different configs so I should have selected it to choose the different channels at such outputs...

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Just tried DBC over HDMI to an AVR. A little messy but it works. In my case it is necessary to put in 7.1 48khz (PCM to the amp) and activate the output 1,2,4 if not it is the central which is used.
Impossible to put 2 subwoofer even by telling diract to put the 2nd subwoofer at output 4 via "custom channel config".
If not overall it works but I don't see the point if the speakers go down low enough.
And for a 7.1 configuration I have the back surrounds which are reversed and impossible to put them back in the right place. With a true 7.1 sound card I think it is possible to swap surround and surround back.
Strange also that the "custom channel config" does not work for me.
I don't know on what you are "hosting" your server and Dirac but rearranging channels can be done handily in JRMC or Roon, in my experience.

mikematrix

For testing a laptop under Windows 10. I no longer have roon and I don't know "JRMC".
I would do 7.1 tests later and certainly with a real graphics card where the drivers will certainly be better.

Edit: I have only just seen now that there is a custom "channel" in the choice of the different configs so I should have selected it to choose the different channels at such outputs...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From everything I have read--as I would love to be able to do the same thing--it's not a simple matter as there's no way to keep inherently asynchronous USB devices in sync.
There is the miniDSP U-DIO8 which is a USB to Spdif bridge which allows two or more dacs to be set to its clock provided the dacs are connected via spidf. The DACS should be of identical make and model. Benchmark has successfully used its own units in this fashion.

Kal Rubinson wrote up an article on the $299 unit some time back.

Of course probably simpler to just buy an Octo, Topping or a Motu multi channel dac in the first place. Connects a maximun of 8 channels. Would be nice if miniDSP updated it to connect 16 channels and included a digital master volume control.

Top Bottom