• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital effects for tube and/or analog sound?

jensgk

Forum Donor
What are the best (preferably standalone) digital effect units for experimenting and listening with different "sounds" (tube or "analog" sound) on your otherwise transparent hi-fi system (where the audio comes from digital sources) ?

Would you use some stereo guitar effect/multi-effect units or would you need to invest in more expensive units like the Eventide series?

Or is it better to use computer plug-ins?

Or is it better to drop it, and just buy some real analog pre-amp?

oversorrow

What are the best (preferably standalone) digital effect units for experimenting and listening with different "sounds" (tube or "analog" sound) on your otherwise transparent hi-fi system (where the audio comes from digital sources) ?
Softube Tape, Fabfilter Saturn2, UAD Tape Bundle, and Klanghelm SDRR.
These are analog emulation plugins I often use in music production.
I can't tell you which is the BEST, because each of them has their application, some on a single track, some on the main bus.
But if you want to do some listening tests, I recommend the Saturn2.
Would you use some stereo guitar effect/multi-effect units or would you need to invest in more expensive units like the Eventide series?
Or is it better to use computer plug-ins?
Yes, amp simulation and effect plugins like Neural DSP and AmpliTube are what I'm using right now, the overall sound is "OK" to me, but, to people like well-experienced guitarists, they might not choose these plugins to play with.
Or is it better to drop it, and just buy some real analog pre-amp?
It actually depends on your budget and your situation.
For example, I am a bedroom musician and I work (play) in my tiny sweet home studio, and when I'm about to record guitar I simply don't have enough space for a big-sized amp and cabinet, and I have to consider my neighbors.:facepalm: So I HAVE TO record the DI signals into the computer and do some processes in post.
So the main problem is LIMITATION I guess, if I can do anything I want, I will definitely choose the real analog one.:cool:
BUT, I guess what you really want to ask is the difference or the gap between the REAL one and the DIGITAL one, well that's a hard question, gearspacers have already argued this topic for many years, you should go there and ask this.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The notion of a digital analog sound emulator brings a smile to my face.

Perhaps it's because it's sort of like one of those mathematical expressions that can be simplified.

:cool:

OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor
The notion of a digital analog sound emulator brings a smile to my face.
I don't know what it means either, but I would like to know. Anyways, I think it is ok to experiment with adding effects to music, to see if it adds something, as long as I can turn it off again :)

Matthias McCready

I equate "analog sound" with distortion/compression of some sort.

Note that certain types of harmonic distortion can sound quite pleasing to the ear.

As a mix engineer; I often use harmonic distortion to add detail to sources. In the right circumstances, it can make the top end feel fantastic, and it can actually add "fidelity" if you will.

---

Personally I prefer my system to be fairly uncolored, as I know the mix and mastering engineers involved already made some decisions there. So this is not something I would be chasing....

However different strokes for different blokes, so in aid to your search if you had a way to run a plugin something like the Kush Blyss plugin used at subtle settings could be cool.

Essentially I would look for something oriented towards mastering.

Matthias McCready

Now that I have a little more time:

"Analog Sound" could be better defined as something which is non-linear in some way. Meaning that what you put in is not the same as what you get out.

In the early years of analog a linear signal chain was simply not achievable. Preamps and other devices had lots of distortion, a high noise floor, and other problems. Every piece of equipment left its sonic finger prints on what passed through it. This became the "sound" that are familiar with. And I do agree many of these non-linear elements are quite pleasing.

As technology has progressed we now have equipment which is essentially linear, and does not impart a noticeable sonic signature of its own.

---

On the recording side this is great. We can have a non-colored linear preamp and AD/DA conversions. And we have the option to introduce non-linear elements where desired (artistic prerogative and all that).

---
The most non-linear elements involved in audio are the transducers (mics and speaker drivers). Which is why these are arguably the most important part of the chain. When I am doing live audio work a nice microphone will still sound great on a cheap speaker system (within reason). Inexpensive microphones (within reason), and inexpensive processing will still sound great on a high-end speaker system. Obviously a quality microphone coupled with a well deployed high-end speaker system is the best of all worlds.

---

So usually what I am looking for in a speaker system is the most linear system possible (flat).

1. For listening to music this means I hearing the album in the way it was intended.
2. When I am mixing it means I am getting out of the system what I put into it.

OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor
Now that I have a little more time:

"Analog Sound" could be better defined as something which is non-linear in some way. Meaning that what you put in is not the same as what you get out.

In the early years of analog a linear signal chain was simply not achievable. Preamps and other devices had lots of distortion, a high noise floor, and other problems. Every piece of equipment left its sonic finger prints on what passed through it. This became the "sound" that are familiar with. And I do agree many of these non-linear elements are quite pleasing.

As technology has progressed we now have equipment which is essentially linear, and does not impart a noticeable sonic signature of its own.

I think that is a good analysis of it. Many who like "analog" sound have probably had a lot of exposure to equipment and/or recordings with that sonic signature, and therefore have that as their end goal. The new, cleaner sound, for them, sounds too harsh.

I also read (somewhere in here), that adding noise in the music can give a spatial experience. I suppose, something like the crackling noise in the "Eurykah Badu - Appletree", except there the noise is very forward.

Top Bottom