• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digione Signature player vs Project streambox s2 with chord qutest

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

I’d value opinions on this decision. I have a qutest and I’m looking at a new transport. It’s a toss up for me between the Allo DigiOne Signature and a project streambox s2-a good description of this device was posted here by it’s designer:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/wh...-s2-so-expensive-700euro-for-an-r-pi.2175090/

I prefer the project device which is understandably a more finessed product with an power switch etc, albeit at a higher cost. The choice is really coming down to bnc coax vs usb. I’m not expecting any audible differences and have seen results posted here which suggest measurable, if in audible, differences between the connection standards in favour of usb. The qutest designer seems to favour coax according to some accounts, but there are anecdotal complaints about the qutest usb on some forums-never backed up with measurements of course. Again I say that I don’t expect audible differences, but what’s the point of having a hobby if I can’t split hairs over the details from time to time. Any thoughts?

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s occurred to me that I have posted this in the wrong section. I’m hoping that a moderator can move it to the right place.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, wrong thread, no biggie. It should be pointed out that the thread you linked is the S2 Ultra, at about double the price of the Digione Sig.

I have been reading up on streamers for awhile, and just today ordered the DigiOne Player (non Sig). I am linking to my Integrated Amp with included DAC, so a Coax output was what I needed. I plan on trying Volumio with the Tidal integration, and my IPad as a remote. Currently using Chromecast Audio, will see if there is any difference.

Last edited:
OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do we think about the possibility of there being measurable differences between a usb and bnc. The bnc results posted on this site for the Allo Digione Signature show a clean signal. I’m wondering if the a usb output on the project device would be as objectively clean. Can’t find any measurements though.

Nango

Major Contributor
Tidal integration has also something like Pioneer's XDP-02U with no need for a mobile phone as a remote + 2x 400GB on mSD for music.

Top Bottom