• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did my first ever audiogram with a hearing doctor, what to do with it ?

DRMLFL

First of all, thanks for this. Highly appreciated!

Audiograms are not full range and really are only looking at hearing related to speech. They only reveal relatively gross hearing anomalies. There needs to be a hearing test that is full range - it would be very helpful for us audio nuts.
There are actually audiometers which go up to 18 kHz, but they are rare. You will find these rather in clinics and sometimes in ENT´s offices. Standard audiometers used by hearing care professionals only go up to 8 kHz (cheaper in acquisition).

Hello, context :
  • I am 29
  • I am a dentist (so I work with alot of noise)
  • Have earbuds on since 15 years, listening to music (currently using sony wf xm3 or bose quitconfort)
  • I compose orchestral music alot on my spare time (currently using beyerdynamic 990 pro 250 ohm)
  • I also have a little dip on 10k on the weber test // EDIT : It's at 1k not 10k
  • Doc said my hearing is fine, but I am in the lower limit of the average, so I should re check again in 3 years to compare
My question is, apart from protecting my ear at work, what can I do or should I do during my music production sessions ? Should I cut at 10k my headphones to protect this area from further damage ?
Obviously more frequent rest ...
One curious thing is I get fatigue faster on headphones than on earphones
Bonjour et salut,
D´abord, j´espère que tu vas bien. Si tu as des question, n´hésite pas a m´envoyer un pm. Je parle aussi un peu le francais.

So, I am not a doctor/ENT/audiologist but I am a hearing care professional and a student in the field of hearing science and acoustics @ Technical University of Luebeck. So, I just examined your audiogram and I have some questions:

1.) How many years have you been a dentist?
2.) What was the complete hearing measurement like and how long did it take overall?
3.) You said they did a Weber test with you. What was the exact process like?

4.) How long have you been making music and how many hours do you spend per day producing/listening to music?
5.) Do you always use headphones or (I assume you mean) earbuds when producing/listening to music and how loud would you describe your listening levels? (1 > low level, 2 > speech level so you can still hear your environment, 3 > loud and you barely can/cannot hear your surrounding, or 4 > super loud so that you can really feel your body/legs shaking because of the bass)
6.) Do you have ear ringing or tinnitus?
7.) I assume you are right handed and your patients sit on your left side. Is this correct?
8.) The data in the audiogram is a little different than we use in Germany as a standard, also the frequencies are a bit different, but this is not the "problem". Is the audiogram on the right side another measurement? On the left side of this paper it says "tonal measurement of the right ear", but I can see two measurement of both ears in the exact same audiogram below (blue is the left ear, red is the right ear) and another one on the right with different . I am little confused here. Could you please elaborate?

I don´t want to unsettle you, au contraire, I want to clarify things for you. And I don´t want to go deeper before you offer further information and give your ok because this is a "public place". I am new to this forum because I wanted to learn some things about acoustics and speaker placement to improve my home studio. But I have seen quite a few people with false assumptions/beliefs concerning the sense of hearing and giving bad advise/information etc. and also pretty rude answers and comments! You should assume that you are dealing with adults here and not with keyboard and internet warriors.

I know, I am not a doc, but you came up with this question and I have seen you updated/edited the thread a few month ago. As a hearing care professional I feel obliged to provide my help, experience and knowledge about this topic.

I hope you are doing well. All the best.

Stay focused!

Top Bottom