• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did my first ever audiogram with a hearing doctor, what to do with it ?

bensmir

Hello, context :
  • I am 29
  • I am a dentist (so I work with alot of noise)
  • Have earbuds on since 15 years, listening to music (currently using sony wf xm3 or bose quitconfort)
  • I compose orchestral music alot on my spare time (currently using beyerdynamic 990 pro 250 ohm)
  • I also have a little dip on 10k on the weber test // EDIT : It's at 1k not 10k
  • Doc said my hearing is fine, but I am in the lower limit of the average, so I should re check again in 3 years to compare
My question is, apart from protecting my ear at work, what can I do or should I do during my music production sessions ? Should I cut at 10k my headphones to protect this area from further damage ?
Obviously more frequent rest ...
One curious thing is I get fatigue faster on headphones than on earphones

1695910028360.png

Thanks

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Should I cut at 10k my headphones to protect this area from further damage ?

Opinion:

Your choice, but 10k in orchestral music is probably 20 to 30dB down (that's a lot) from the lower frequencies already.

Spectrum peaks (via RTA from CD) of the Redwood Symphony playing Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Les Noces

1695911700204.png

Last edited:

Andrej

My understanding is that you need to consider (amplitude * duration) to evaluate what is damaging. So the best solutions will involve shortening exposures and/or lowering the loudness.

Music1969

Major Contributor
This is tricky.

Because you need to be able to hear patient and/or staff, evening during noisy drilling.

So you have to be careful about attenuating noise to the max or you may not hear something important.

But for your own safety, you need to attenuate noise a bit.

Can you try these:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Diyaudioheaven did a great article on Taming the treble and 1 or 2 plies of toilet paper on the driver under the foam will act like a comb filter to reduce it easily at 8.4khz for 2 plies or 10khz for one without affecting extension. It's well worth checking out.

D

Deleted member 48726

Check out active noise cancelling earplugs for shooting / hunting. They let in speech, are comfortable for prolonged time, they cut out sudden noise at variable level.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Westone for attenuation ear 'plugs.'

These let all the frequencies in, but you can lop 15 dB off the loudness and still everything patient's and staff say.

It's awesome you are thinking of this now. I have used these, good for loud work, loud shows, motorcycle riding can kill your hearing and you don't realize it, etc.

Their website sucks a bit, maybe they stopped selling them, but look for the Ear Defender series and go from there. They make customized molds for your ear, as well.

I have had things like these for several decades and think they are 'ear saving!'

Best wishes.

raindance

Major Contributor
Audiograms are not full range and really are only looking at hearing related to speech. They only reveal relatively gross hearing anomalies. There needs to be a hearing test that is full range - it would be very helpful for us audio nuts.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
  • I am a dentist (so I work with alot of noise)
Hmmm.... My dentist's office isn't "loud". Do you have an SPL meter? The impact wrench at an auto repair shop is loud. My circular saw is loud. Jackhammers are loud...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hmmm.... My dentist's office isn't "loud". Do you have an SPL meter? The impact wrench at an auto repair shop is loud. My circular saw is loud. Jackhammers are loud...

"Most of the current high-speed hand pieces, such as high-speed drills and scalers used by dental professionals, are between 90 to 100 decibels, says Professor Folmer. That's the equivalent of a gas lawnmower or other power tools, which are loud enough to cause hearing loss over time. "
https://www.nature.com/articles/481...e loud enough to cause hearing loss over time.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I worked building heavy machinery we had ~70 welders, about ~80 assemblers and the office staff. So things could get very loud. Those that chose to or had seniority and where provided with them wore these custom fit green, hearing protectors. They equalize the spectrum so that one can hear voices but the other stuff is attenuated. I don't remember the name but with a little Googling...

OP
bensmir

bensmir

Aha thanks everyone for your inputs
@RayDunzl My bad I just double checked my tests, it's at 1k that I have a little dip at the Webber test !

Philbo King

The main thing to do with the test results is to archive them to compare with future test results. Hearing loss is a long term gradual process.

OP
bensmir

bensmir

The main thing to do with the test results is to archive them to compare with future test results. Hearing loss is a long term gradual process.
I agree, too bad I don't have one from 3 or 4 years ago

Doc said she think headphones or speakers are better than earphones, because it stimulate the hearing in both ways (something like intra osseus and regular hearing from the canal). This way my ear/brain doesn't become lazy and doesn't overuse only one way
I didn't understand everything in details but yea

OP
bensmir

bensmir

Could you imagine if most people didn't have eye exams and instead relied on user experiences, and the Harman eye test curves for the selection of "THE best" eyewear money can buy today off the shelf .... I really wonder if optimally matching headphones to the user will ever become the norm .... like prescription eyewear ....
valid point
thing is, for society, you pass on the whole hearing thing as soon as you can hear speach

Anton D

Aha thanks everyone for your inputs
@RayDunzl My bad I just double checked my tests, it's at 1k that I have a little dip at the Webber test !
Trivia, a specific dip at 1K is often associated with shooting as a hobby.

No political intent, just an interesting factoid.

Peterinvan

I use a free Windows app called sinegen.exe. It goes up to 20KHz. Looks like I top out at about 8KHz.

No wonder I like bright headphones :)

Top Bottom