• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using current mixer as my DAC?

Ahah

This setup is for my desktop, which I game, watch movies, and listen to music. I am currently using a Yamaha MG10XU as my DAC and for handling all of my audio inputs and outputs. It handles my Shure SM7B, sub, and my Genelecs, as well as my Phillips SHP9500s. I love having control over everything, within arms reach, and with a knob turn or button press. It's also very handy for being able to monitor my mic input for specific things.

Now that I'm seriously considering upgrading my headphones, I'm concerned about using my mixer as my DAC. I'm planning to upgrade to HE1000s and a Schiit Midgard. My original plan was to go PC -> Mixer -> Midgard -> Headphones

Annoyances with not being able to have my monitors and headphones EQd simultaneously, aside, due to them sharing a single output (I will have to just toggle this in software), should I buy a separate DAC? Or, will I be fine, from an audio quality standpoint, to keep using my mixer for this purpose?

Top Bottom