• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did I Fry My Audio System?

wacomme

Having returned home from 13 days in the hospital and two spinal surgeries resulting in my entire lumbar spine being fused, I was hoping to recover with music in my office/2nd bedroom. But alas, I have no music. None. I'm now trying to trouble-shoot the problem, and with very limited movement (no twisting, bending, lifting) it's a slow arduous process. I'd like to be as efficient as possible. Please help.

I have a Macbook Air (M1) connected to a SMSL DO100 Dac and a Topping L70 Amp going to HiFiMan Sundara headphones and Kali-LP6II monitors (balanced). For EQ I use HLConvolver and BlackHole to route audio between apps.

The blue light turns on for the monitors. The dac and amp lights appear to function properly. I can play music through my Macbook Air speakers, but that's it. When I switch audio to the SMSL dac I get no sound. Turning off all EQ does not change the situation. I get no sound via my headphones either.

Checking out the Kali monitors, I connected an RCA cable to a monitor and then to my iPhone via a RCA/3.5mm adapter, Qudelix, Apple camera adapter. I still could not generate any sound from the monitor (concerned, as this should bypass my computer and generate sound when playing music, correct)?

I also bypassed the L70 amp, connecting the XLR outputs from the dac directly to the monitors. Still, no sound.

What is going on? Is there something obvious and simple I'm overlooking? I'm weaning from opioids, so mentally I'm not altogether. All of my audio is connected to a good APC surge protector.

What do I do next? Is there anything I can do, or do I need to call for help? And if so, who would I call to troubleshoot?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So did something change since the last time you used it? That'd be my first suspect. Sound output settings in the computer would be my next check.

Is that 3.5mm/rca adapter the correct type for your iPhone?

ps Wish you a speedy recovery!

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding your test where you tried to use your phone to the speakers, did you change the dipswitch to turn the RCA input on? It's off by default, see below:

From the user manual for the Kali LP-6 v2, page 10:

RCA Input (-10 dBV Sensitivity)
The RCA input is for use with consumer devices like record players, laptops, smart
phones, and media players. Commonly, the playback device will either have an
RCA or a 3.5mm (Aux) output. Cables from either of these outputs to RCA are easy
to find.
By default, the RCA input on the speaker is OFF. This is to prevent interference
when that input is not being used. When connecting to the RCA input, enable it
by moving switch #8 on the dip switches UP to the ON position. If the RCA input is
no longer being used, be sure to move switch #8 back DOWN to the OFF position.

Just in case the SMSL is malfunctioning, can you connect the phone to the RCA inputs on the Topping and try that with the headphones and your speakers? Or did you try that already?

I hope you get this sorted so you can enjoy your music again to help with your recovery.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I forgot about the dipswitch setting. And good news! With the Qudelix connected to a USB port on my computer hub I get sound through the monitor!!! As such, can I conclude that my SMSL DO100 dac has failed - sudden death? While the dac lights and settings all seem to work, and the dac is recognized by my computer, no sound comes out (either through headphones or XLR out). Could it be something else? The dac is only about 4 months old.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Just in case the SMSL is malfunctioning, can you connect the phone to the RCA inputs on the Topping and try that with the headphones and your speakers? Or did you try that already?
This is what I'll try next.

h46e55x

I have an SMSL D300 that started losing sync with the USB and then just stopped working. Poking around in the menu there was a factory reset option. After the reset everything has worked fine. I don't know why it became "out of sorts" but if there is a reset option, give it a try.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

OK. I did some further testing.

I can get my monitors to work through a Qudelix 5k dac connected to my computer via usb, and with an adapter (3.5mm to usb), to my Kali monitor. However, when I connect the RCA cords to the L70 inputs no sound. I've selected RCA as the input and both RCA and XLR as outputs, including both headphones and pre-amp outputs. No sound.

So, what does that tell me? Both my dac and amp are dead? Somehow I fried both the SMSL DO100 and Topping L70? But not the monitors? This seems odd.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I have an SMSL D300 that started losing sync with the USB and then just stopped working. Poking around in the menu there was a factory reset option. After the reset everything has worked fine. I don't know why it became "out of sorts" but if there is a reset option, give it a try.
I don't see any way to reset the DO100 dac.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

So did something change since the last time you used it? That'd be my first suspect. Sound output settings in the computer would be my next check.

Is that 3.5mm/rca adapter the correct type for your iPhone?

ps Wish you a speedy recovery!
The adapter works when I connect the Qudelix directly from USB to the monitor RCA connection.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding the Dac - I'd be suspicious of the convolve/blackhole routing settins at the moment. Those types of software are very easy to have a buried setting wrong somewhere.

Do you have another device you can sent audio to the dac from - even a phone with USB adapter. To rule that out.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Regarding the Dac - I'd be suspicious of the convolve/blackhole routing settins at the moment. Those types of software are very easy to have a buried setting wrong somewhere.

Do you have another device you can sent audio to the dac from - even a phone with USB adapter. To rule that out.
I connected the L70 to my iPhone and Qudelix and it works, both for monitors and headphones! It also works on my computer via USB (I hadn't had the volume turned up enough). And my EQ settings are working too!

Thus, I guess I can conclude I have a dead SMSL DO100 dac. Is that correct?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Perhaps I just bought a defective dac. Now, for replacement I'm questioning if I should get another DO100 or perhaps the matching E70 to my L70. Is there any real advantage in spending an additional $150 for the E70 compared to the DO100?

The other annoying factor with the DO100 is that when conducting REW testing, one speaker at a time, I need to turn on and off the DO100 when the left channel is turned off for each test of the right monitor due to a shut-off feature that cuts power when there is no left channel signal. The work-a-around works, but it's a PITA.

Top Bottom