• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon PMA-600NE Integrated Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 146 40.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 184 51.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 22 6.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

Hammeredklavier

You can find NAD C328 for about 449€ on iacono.fr and Denon PMA600 is somewhere between 410-450€, but you can find it on black friday deals for about 328€ at the moment on hifiklubben.de. So it is 120€ difference at the moment. Is it worth the difference or not?
That's a question only you can answer!

I think mine would probably be yes, if there was only ~£100 or so in it then I'd probably take the extra wattage, more modern amplifier design (it's Class D I believe), greater compactness, and yes, better specs (although I haven't studied them closely). Assuming I wanted it for something vaguely serious and not just another desktop blaster!

ralph

I guess this could be relegated to casual listening/background duty with a pair of sensibly-priced bookshelf speakers. For that task, not too awfully bad.
I'm using it in my small dining area with bookshelf speakers from KEF - works very well and the amp is easy to use and very reliable. Still a pity to see that it does not measure better.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
I'm using it in my small dining area with bookshelf speakers from KEF - works very well and the amp is easy to use and very reliable. Still a pity to see that it does not measure better.

A satisfied customer. Would buy again?

Hammeredklavier

Not sure about but will keep it for now.
That's the thing isn't it. If it does everything you require of it then all's well! I won't replace mine unless it dies. Although if the speakers die first I'd probably replace them with powered or active ones, which'd render the integrated amp redundant.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm reminded of a blurb from a 1977 integrated amplifier review Aczel wrote (PMA inserted to protect the innocent):

If we sound a tiny bit bored with this one, it's because neither its pluses nor its minuses are very interesting to the audio purist. On the other hand, if you're looking for a pretty good preamp along with a pretty good medium powered amplifier at a pretty good price, the PMA-600 is hard to beat. But pretty good isn't the name of the game we're playing here, is it?

I guess it's about what is expected these days, at the price point. If you have an older made in Japan integrated amp that is still working, and if you don't need the DAC feature, it's probably best to keep what you have. You'll probably not find anything comparable for anything near the price you probably paid for it. But if not, then pretty good is certainly better than pretty bad.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Well one can dream can’t one!
.View attachment 326332
There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Maslow's hierarchy of needs pyramid -- an idea in psychology, proposed by American psychologist Abraham Maslow in his 1943 paper "A Theory of Human Motivation" -- is/was WRONG.:mad:
...Although widely used and researched, Maslow's hierarchy of needs lacks conclusive supporting evidence and the validity of the theory remains contested in academia. One criticism of the original theory which has been revised into newer versions of the theory, was that the original hierarchy states that a lower level must be completely satisfied and fulfilled before moving onto a higher pursuit; there is evidence to suggest that levels continuously overlap each other...
Within the original/revised versions of this pyramid, I don't see any mention of MUSIC in the lower-tiers.:oops:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
This product is just trash.
You guys just seen too much of Fosi SMSL and Topping.

These Denon and Yamaha etc have not changed and have measured the same for like the past 20 years. The Yamaha in particular is pretty impressive considering its era.
I mean wanting high performance is really not asking for too much. Considering there were DAC chips 20 years ago that were capable of SINAD figures above that of CD Quality; I don't understand why any product sold today cannot even reach CD quality....

Hammeredklavier

This product is just trash.

I mean wanting high performance is really not asking for too much. Considering there were DAC chips 20 years ago that were capable of SINAD figures above that of CD Quality; I don't understand why any product sold today cannot even reach CD quality....
Well, we rather suspect that this 'new' amplifier is a pma520ae with a crappy old DAC and Bluetooth shoehorned in. The 520AE is Denon's bottom of the range budget integrated, and was released over a decade ago. Another poster reckoned the 520AE was in turn a recycled design from an earlier (budget) amplifier! Amir said he thought it was ok for a $400 amp, but I'm not sure I agree. It's a $200 amp really isn't it. You can buy the 520AE for £180.

Thing is, these integrated amps are a bit passe aren't they. The future is these one box streaming thingies and active speakers. Who's going to buy an amp like this apart from people who've got some old passive speakers they want to keep going and might want to plug the optical output from their TV into the amp? It simply doesn't need state of the art performance. The speakers will mask the distortion, and for watching a bit of Netflix of an evening or blasting away on your desk, it's plenty good enough. Furthermore, you'd have to confirm with a listening test of course, but I would think it'd be transparent despite its less than stellar measurements.

It's a bit expensive in my opinion but fit for purpose.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well, we rather suspect that this 'new' amplifier is a pma520ae with a crappy old DAC and Bluetooth shoehorned in. The 520AE is Denon's bottom of the range budget integrated, and was released over a decade ago. Another poster reckoned the 520AE was in turn a recycled design from an earlier (budget) amplifier! Amir said he thought it was ok for a $400 amp, but I'm not sure I agree. It's a $200 amp really isn't it. You can buy the 520AE for £180.

Thing is, these integrated amps are a bit passe aren't they. The future is these one box streaming thingies and active speakers. Who's going to buy an amp like this apart from people who've got some old passive speakers they want to keep going and might want to plug the optical output from their TV into the amp? It simply doesn't need state of the art performance. The speakers will mask the distortion, and for watching a bit of Netflix of an evening or blasting away on your desk, it's plenty good enough. Furthermore, you'd have to confirm with a listening test of course, but I would think it'd be transparent despite its less than stellar measurements.

It's a bit expensive in my opinion but fit for purpose.
Well it really depends on what speakers you plug into it.... with technology as it is today I EXPECT every device I purchase to have atleast minimum spec performance. In the world of audio today so many things sound like complete trash and this world of bluetooth has only made things worse. Only LDAC can sound okay; everything else is pretty much crap for anything but background listening in noisy environments...
The thing is that while this is a probably reused design; they will reuse this internal design in the more fancy stuff all the way up the product stack and just keep adding other extra features while never fixing the audio quality.

musicforcities

You can find NAD C328 for about 449€ on iacono.fr and Denon PMA600 is somewhere between 410-450€, but you can find it on black friday deals for about 328€ at the moment on hifiklubben.de. So it is 120€ difference at the moment. Is it worth the difference or not?
Be interesting to know if NAD build quality has improved. Or what the Denon is like. I recapped my NAD 325bee recently and even with a vacuum desolderiing iron, fresh flux and temp as low as possible with contact time <3 seconds, many of the thinner traces and pads lifted. The pcbs are just craptastic with ultra thin traces and cardboard like substrate. The original caps were equally junk with all the larger ones including the filter caps bulging after a few years and a few now leaking. many smaller ones look swollen or measured very poorly when I pulled them to test. The transistors at least seen solid. But it was just a pain to replace the caps having to repair so many pads etc. after working on couple of these NADs, they have the worst pcbs have ever worked on. Far worse than even the cheapest pcbs from modules I have ordered off eBay. They are effectively cardboard with copper tape and disposable. I would not try to repair one again even though they sound and measure very well.

Unless NAD has improved their mainline parts, pcb and build quality a great deal, I would be wary. Apparently the older stuff made in Japan is better. Do t k ow about the new stuff.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve heard these complaints about repairs to NAD units before, even on older ones. I think the designs are good, but they do cut too many corners in manufacturing.

honestly people are talking like it's unlistenable, i have pretty much the same amp. it's plugged into the lounge tv running a set of wharfedale diamond 9.5 floor standers, running toslink into an old dac from the tv and it sounds fine and runs the speakers flawlessly. honestly i would buy this if i needed a replacement amp the integrated dac is super handy regardless of it's performance.

musicforcities

I'm with you but unless I'm missing something, the source selector is hard to fill, especially if you want a remote.

Well there is the Schiit Saga S for $300. Add the little fossi amp Amir reviewed recently for $80-100. And a great $100 DAC of you need it. Course you still need a phono amp if you well need one. But I suspect those with turntables already have one anyway. Seriously Denon could leave out the phono stage and put in decent dac.

Last edited:

Hammeredklavier

honestly people are talking like it's unlistenable, i have pretty much the same amp. it's plugged into the lounge tv running a set of wharfedale diamond 9.5 floor standers, running toslink into an old dac from the tv and it sounds fine and runs the speakers flawlessly. honestly i would buy this if i needed a replacement amp the integrated dac is super handy regardless of it's performance.
Same here but with Vienna Acoustics speakers. What more do you need?

I think some people may have lost sight of the fact that you can't actually hear these noises and distortions they go measuring. I don't want to be negative about the pursuit of technical excellence, just bear in mind you don't always need it and there are other considerations.

If I was a betting man I'd put money on this Denon being very difficult and probably impossible to distinguish from a state of the art amplifier in a proper scientific listening test.

Top Bottom