• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I think I remember a YouTube review where someone mentioned the Ares 2 would have a audio delay..so it would be noticeable with movies for example.

Wouldn't obviously not matter much for music but would be rather annoying for movies etc.

Could someone comment on this?

And did someone return the Ares 2 and get a non R2R DAC?

sandymc

I think I remember a YouTube review where someone mentioned the Ares 2 would have a audio delay..so it would be noticeable with movies for example.

Wouldn't obviously not matter much for music but would be rather annoying for movies etc.

Could someone comment on this?

There was a GoldenSound video that showed a lip-sync issue. Also a saturation issue with some filter settings.

elguapo

I noticed there's now a 3.6.0 firmware. Anyone know what's new? Descriptions are kinda vague.
I'm currenly on the 3.3.5 firmware as it supports PCM1536/DSD1024.
Firmware v3.6 the PCM is still limited to 768KHz and native DSD512. Just got Ares II but I need 1.5M / DSD1024 so flashed to v3.3.5 very happy with it.

elguapo

Using HQPe to do the integer oversampling to the maximum PCM rate (1411.2 / 1536KHz), I thought it could enter the true NOS mode. Result is amazing to me at least. The filter I chose were 1x: sinc-M / Nx: closed-form-M, NS5 and set 18-bit for the DAC. I know DSD stream would not OS but just like to enjoy R2R.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But isn't HQPlayer doing upsampling and applying a LPF based on the original sample rate?

kchap

Forum Donor
Whether the DAC did the oversampling or an external device did it, it is still oversampling. I do not see how you can claim you achieve true NOS.

elguapo

Whether the DAC did the oversampling or an external device did it, it is still oversampling. I do not see how you can claim you achieve true NOS.
I've already mentioned I used HQPe "oversampling" to the maximum PCM rate. NOS mode is on DAC's side.

kchap

Forum Donor
The DAC did not perform OS because you handed job to the HQPlayer. HQPplayer the passed the oversampled data to the DAC. The DAC performed the digital to analogue conversion. If the DAC performed both functions the result is the same.

AllenW

I Have this DAC along with the topping d70, and gustard x22 I can tell a difference between all of them. On my cornwall 2's only the denafrips doesn't sound shouty. In fact it sounds very much like my turntable or my reel to reel player. All are more detailed than the reel to reel but not even close to the turntable. I can hear the singers lips click when they start to sing on the turntable. No digital touches that. Technics SL-1200MK5G+Denon DL-304/Teac X-2000

Last edited:

zepplock

I Have this DAC along with the topping d70, and gustard x22 I can tell a difference between all of them. On my cornwall 2's only the denafrips doesn't sound shouty. In fact it sounds very much like my turntable or my reel to reel player. All are more detailed than the reel to reel but not even close to the turntable. I can hear the singers lips click when they start to sing on the turntable. No digital touches that. Technics SL-1200MK5G+Denon DL-304/Teac X-2000

Probably different mastering. Honestly how can you compare vinyl with digital and talk about "lips".

helom

I love this DAC. Running it into an LA4 and AHB2. Beats the pants off the D90 for my preferences. People wanting to inject a tube sound into their SS system should ignore the buffers and other such devices and get a Denafrips.

AllenW

I love this DAC. Running it into an LA4 and AHB2. Beats the pants off the D90 for my preferences. People wanting to inject a tube sound into their SS system should ignore the buffers and other such devices and get a Denafrips.
Yes. It does to a small degree do that thing that tubes do to the top end. Kind of like those T amps from china but much cleaner and without sibilance.

AllenW

No, seriously. Tell us what aspects of the tube sound this DAC brings to the party.

I'd prefer it if you could relate it to measurable properties rather than flowery prose.
It just sounds better to me than sigma delta DAC's. How can I explain it to someone who hasn't heard it? What's the point?

Top Bottom