• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

D

Deleted member 31910

Many subjectivists

Just believing something doesn't make it true unfortunately, science doesn't work this way. Beliefs != Facts.
How do you know this? How can you be so confident our current scientific understanding of science can explain everything?

I don't really disagree with a lot of what you guys are saying, again, its more the attitude of superiority and certainty...

“The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.” - Einstein.

SubOjectivist

How do you know this? How can you be so confident our current scientific understanding of science can explain everything?

I don't really disagree with a lot of what you guys are saying, again, its more the attitude of superiority and certainty...

It's not because we don't know the scientific explanation behind an observation yet, that there is none.

tw99

Your username on here is really apt.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

of course, that is not question at all

the real question is whether we have a satisfactory approximation based on our current scientific understanding of electronics and mechanics

satisfactory means either [1] no one can hear the difference, or [2] any detectible differences are not preferable

subsidiary issues substitute typical music loving adults for "no one" - i.e. you leave out musicians, or young musicians, and highly trained listeners, or leave out edge cases with six sigma hearing ability, etc.

For the record, I am convinced of this in a practical sense - say up to a $50,000 system (or should I say a $46,000 set of speakers), but not convinced as a matter of scientific research.

Some things are, however, established to a very high degree of certainty.

Last edited:

Listentolearn

Just believing something doesn't make it true unfortunately, science doesn't work this way. Beliefs != Facts.

This would be true if all the facts are known. They are not. Most anyone who has spent serious time listening to good audio equipment using well known test tracks (favorite songs, sonic spectacular recordings, etc) can hear consistent differences when changing a single component or individual cable on good quality audio systems we are well familiar with, usually friends or our own audio systems. We do this all the time when checking out upgrades because we love audio. Many a time things go back and cheaper ones are better.
Sorry if this wrankles with what you think are the facts. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence all over.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This would be true if all the facts are known. They are not. Most anyone who has spent serious time listening to good audio equipment using well known test tracks (favorite songs, sonic spectacular recordings, etc) can hear consistent differences when changing a single component or individual cable on good quality audio systems we are well familiar with, usually friends or our own audio systems. We do this all the time when checking out upgrades because we love audio. Many a time things go back and cheaper ones are better.
Sorry if this wrankles with what you think are the facts. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence all over.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence for faith healing but if I get sick I'll go to my physician not the nearest tent revival.

tw99

:facepalm:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

We just need someone to turn all that anecdote into evidence...so far, hasn't happened. Lots of claims...zero evidence.

Beave

Major Contributor

Anecdotes are not evidence when proper controls are not implemented in the anecdotes.

raif71

Major Contributor
DACs are not created equal. I used to hear differences among the various DACs but after going through volume matched procedures between 2 DACs ie audiogd r2r r11 and Topping d10s ... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...et-another-a-b-test-of-dacs.19769/post-668743 , I have found that both DACs sound the same when volume matched however, I might add that when the they are listened individually, I find that the r2r r11 sound "better". Better in the sense that volume wise on the L30 amp, the marriage of audio-gd DAC is better than d10s with the amp. The reason is simple, r2r-r11 has higher voltage out than the d10s (5V vs 2V) and this make a difference on the enjoyment of audio-gd with topping setup. No more worries at least for me on whether I might run out of volume headroom at the amp.

Katji

Major Contributor
Well, there are a few facts around here that I am absolutely sure of.
One of them is that forum software will eventually have to advance, or be superseded by Fb.

This would be true if all the facts are known. They are not.
Is that a fact?

How do you know there are facts that are not known?

Most anyone who has spent serious time listening to good audio equipment using well known test tracks (favorite songs, sonic spectacular recordings, etc) can hear consistent differences when changing a single component or individual cable on good quality audio systems we are well familiar with, usually friends or our own audio systems. We do this all the time when checking out upgrades because we love audio.
There are basic facts of Psychology that have been known for about 100 years. ...Maybe you need to install some updates.

PS: Try "read and study to learn." Or just acknowledge that you don't understand the tests.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you know there are facts that are not known by your experience in a particular field of inquiry

you don't know for a fact what that fact will be of course

clear?

Is the Ares II a good starter DAC if I have the money, or should I stick to Topping D30 Pro / Gustard X16, or even cheaper DACs, like the Topping D50s. Wondering about my options as I'm looking to start into audiophile digital music.

Ares II vs Topping D70s?
I'm thinking about this or the lower dacs.

SubOjectivist

Is the Ares II a good starter DAC if I have the money, or should I stick to Topping D30 Pro / Gustard X16, or even cheaper DACs, like the Topping D50s. Wondering about my options as I'm looking to start into audiophile digital music.

Ares II vs Topping D70s?
Depends mainly on the features you want / need (such as inputs available, supported formats, BT, volume control, integrated headphone amp, etc. ...).
If you require just a basic DAC, then a cheap one like the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II should probably be sufficient.
What is the rest of your audio setup it will be used along with (speakers / headphones / amplifier)?

Kw6

Ares II vs Topping D70s?

I highly recommend the Ares II! Enjoy!

Depends mainly on the features you want / need (such as inputs available, supported formats, BT, volume control, integrated headphone amp, etc. ...).
If you require just a basic DAC, then a cheap one like the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II should probably be sufficient.
What is the rest of your audio setup it will be used along with (speakers / headphones / amplifier)?

I'm going desktop headphone setup only. Like HD660s, Topping A90, Ares II (or other dac).
Don't need BT, not bothered by MQA (for now), but they will be nice to have.
Nice ideas, cheers.

I highly recommend the Ares II! Enjoy!
Thanks for the recommendation.

linger63

Ares II vs Topping D70s?

I had an ARES II......a Gustard X16..... and a Topping D90 before moving up to the more expensive ($2K) Gustard X26Pro

My personal preferred order was
D90
X16
ARES II

Maybe I just like DS and aren't a fan of R2R.......
FWIW............X16 is definitely the cheapest and IMO offers good "bang for buck"

Anyway......Good Luck

Last edited:
Top Bottom