• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

D

Deleted member 31910

and therein lies the problem with measurements only. Do you believe these dacs sound the same?
If you listen to these dacs it would be obvious they don’t sound the same.
so something is missing (many things I think) in the measurements many think are so tell all.

of course if you never listen critically then yea, you saved yourself a lot of money.
After buying a Schiit Freya+ and being extremely let down with how it sounds, I've learned my lesson regarding measurements.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
and therein lies the problem with measurements only. Do you believe these dacs sound the same?
If you listen to these dacs it would be obvious they don’t sound the same.
so something is missing (many things I think) in the measurements many think are so tell all.

of course if you never listen critically then yea, you saved yourself a lot of money.

Uh huh...

Kw6

I'm glad you like it. I really like mine too. I have never owned any other DACs from Denafrips so I cannot comment on any sound quality differences. I will say that many people start with the Ares II and like it so much they upgrade to the more expensive ones. I've heard a few people say the biggest jump is from Ares II to Pontus II and then after that the differences become smaller.

As for me I will be happy with the Ares II until I upgrade the rest of my system first.

Thanks! Someone on YouTube has both Ares II and Terminator and he says differences are not huge. After listening today some of the analog attributes weren't as noticeable. It started out airy and smooth then later sharper. I hope my equipment is ok!

D

Deleted member 31910

Thanks! Someone on YouTube has both Ares II and Terminator and he says differences are not huge. After listening today some of the analog attributes weren't as noticeable. It started out airy and smooth then later sharper. I hope my equipment is ok!
It's probably just the recording you are listening to. Some stuff sounds good and some stuff sounds bad depending on production/mastering.

Kw6

It's probably just the recording you are listening to. Some stuff sounds good and some stuff sounds bad depending on production/mastering.

Yes true, but I replayed the live concert and seemed less airy. But maybe I was getting tired too lol. Im very curious on Pontus II. I read somewhere that original Pontus is more digital sounding than Ares II.

D

Deleted member 31910

Yes true, but I replayed the live concert and seemed less airy. But maybe I was getting tired too lol. Im very curious on Pontus II. I read somewhere that original Pontus is more digital sounding than Ares II.
I don't think you're going to find much information regarding Denafrips on this forum, you are better searching for answers to your questions on other forums or youtube. Not many people here believe in sound differences between DACs past a certain point.

Kw6

I don't think you're going to find much information regarding Denafrips on this forum, you are better searching for answers to your questions on other forums or youtube. Not many people here believe in sound differences between DACs past a certain point.

Yes true! Haha

Good luck on your audio journey!

Listentolearn

quite true on this site. Heresy here but audiophilestyle.com caters to folks who listen as well as measure.

Here is a nice write up on Pontus 2 vs Qutest with a bit of Aries 2

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...impressions-as-well-as-the-denafrips-ares-ii/

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
quite true on this site. Heresy here but audiophilestyle.com caters to folks who listen as well as measure.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...impressions-as-well-as-the-denafrips-ares-ii/

You need to describe the blind testing methodology. This appears to be an "impressions" article NOT something by any "folk who listens". Confirmation bias obviates offering such things as evidence of what you claim. I have no problem with buying on looks of course.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I stopped when the guy claims audible differences with a battery feeding his Qutest. This, even so when its designer himself (Rob Watts) says there cannot be any difference by switching PSU or battery. Whatever...:facepalm:

This is not about DACs sounding different (turns out: they might) but about 100% biased audiophile mysticism.
You need to describe the blind testing methodology. This appears to be an "impressions" article NOT something by any "folk who listens". Confirmation bias obviates offering such things as evidence of what you claim. I have no problem with buying on looks of course.

Last edited:

Listentolearn

I stopped when the guy claims audible differences with a battery feeding his Qutest. This, even so when its designer himself (Rob Watts) says there cannot be any difference by switching PSU or battery. Whatever...:facepalm:

This is not about DACs sounding different (turns out: they might) but about 100% biased audiophile mysticism.

Hmmm... appears a case in point on “zero critical listening” on this forum site. Any experiences of your own or can you only quote others?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I do... and slum it here...

If you're only here to cause trouble, why not slum it elsewhere?
We're chock full of much better trolls...this is amateur hour stuff...

D

Deleted member 31910

How can you invalidate someone's perception of reality and what they believe is real? Whether its audiophile "mysticism" or not, or whether they can perceive differences under extraordinary listening conditions or not, doesn't affect what they believe they can hear under normal listening conditions. In the end it's just your opinion versus his.

Nothing wrong with believing something different than someone else and choosing to ignore, but the smug attitude and contempt toward others who believe differently than you should be met with some grace and humility in my opinion.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How can you invalidate someone's perception of reality and what they believe is real? Whether its audiophile "mysticism" or not, or whether they can perceive differences under extraordinary listening conditions or not, doesn't affect what they believe they can hear under normal listening conditions. In the end it's just your opinion versus his.

Nothing wrong with believing something different than someone else and choosing to ignore, but the smug attitude and contempt toward others who believe differently than you should be met with some grace and humility in my opinion.
It's more than simple basic opinion. It's about hearing stuff that is not there according to specification.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
One thing is certain no magazine or dealer is ever going to tell you there will be no difference in sound quality between a cheap and expensive dac.
Keith

SubOjectivist

Just believing something doesn't make it true unfortunately, science doesn't work this way. Beliefs != Facts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 31910

It's more than simple basic opinion. It's about hearing stuff that is not there according to specification.
It's more the attitude and the certainty that I take issue with. It's as if some members on this forum are omniscient.

There are lots of things we don't understand about the brain and how it perceives reality. To me this is kind of like being an atheist versus being agnostic versus being a mystic/spiritualist (or whatever. I try and be agnostic and open minded and can only understand the world through my personal experience and what I believe to to be true and real. This will vary greatly from person to person.

Top Bottom