• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

D

Deleted member 24508

Except as the research (which extends far beyond audio engineering into far more consequential fields like psychology and physiology) I linked indicates, hearing the music with your ears is invariably moderated by what you see or know, even at a subconscious level. You see the aesthetics, you read the backstory, you attribute certain characteristics to certain circuit topologies. These affect the perception of difference (let alone preference), introducing huge amounts of unrealiability. Read Zielinski and Rumsey, linked many times on this forum before we can have a productive discussion. Anecdotal experience convinces no one in this place.

You have 2 options: 1) to accept your evaluations are corrupted by these non-auditory stimuli and to take your listening impressions as that of a multi-sensory experience only partially constituted by the actual sound. Your perceptions bear a tenuous link with the actual sound (ie. moving air) output at best. That is the only intellectually-honest way to articulate anecdotal sound evaluations without basic experimental controls. There is no shame in that. I will readily admit I'm shopping for Jeff Rowland gear for that reason - I'm a sucker for the billet aluminium and Lundahls, but I'm under no delusion that they meaningfully change the empirical phenomenon of sound.

Or 2) to accept that such claims are dead-on-arrival as far as validity goes due to these multiple, well-documented sources of massive distortion of our auditory perception, such that it describes an empirical phenomenon. Even multiple sighted impressions that describe the same thing are not valid.

Anything is wilful and abhorrent anti-intellectualism and arrogance. Essentially that you think you aren't bound by the human ear and brain physiology. And that is a claim I, and other right-minded members here, will condemn and call out at every turn. We have provided the resources. There is no excuse.

Do the work. Don't arrogate your layman intuition and anecdotal experience is remotely equal to decades of PhDs working on the subject.
Gee having worked with hundreds of Phd graduates for decades the vast majority were completely useless at anything remotely practical.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And observation is a viable scientific technique.
A controlled one, for sure.

Gee having worked with hundreds of Phd graduates for decades the vast majority were completely useless at anything remotely practical.
:facepalm:

PS: using caps doesn't make your claim true.

Last edited:

linger63

WHEN THE DIFFERENCE IS SO OBVIOUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE BLIND JUST DEAF TO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. I HAVE AN ARIES II AND THE DIFFERENCE TO MY OTHER DACS IS STARTLING AND THEY ALL COST A LOT MORE THAN 200 QUID.

FWIW........
I owned the $1K R2R Denafrips ARES II and sold it as I much preferred the presentation of the $2K DS Gustard X26PRO.
Just my experience.......:)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
WHEN THE DIFFERENCE IS SO OBVIOUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE BLIND JUST DEAF TO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. I HAVE AN ARIES II AND THE DIFFERENCE TO MY OTHER DACS IS STARTLING AND THEY ALL COST A LOT MORE THAN 200 QUID.
Level matched, shut your eyes or it didn't happen.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Oh look! All caps...now you must REALLY mean it.

:facepalm:

Katji

Major Contributor
Hey @Henry53, FYI:

1619007367896.png

1619007441444.png

Since 25-30 years ago.

You have the option of Bold or Italics for emphasis.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's exactly when you think "THE DIFFERENCE IS SO OBVIOUS" you really need a reality check aka a controlled testing , if you don't get this you don't get the nature of cognitive bias this is the exact thing that can happen without control to all of us!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The room is around 5x7metres, I thought they sounded ok at the time, then I heard some really excellent active monitors with properly integrated subs and that put the sound from the horns into perspective.
Keith

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The room is around 5x7metres, I thought they sounded ok at the time, then I heard some really excellent active monitors with properly integrated subs and that put the sound from the horns into perspective.
Keith
Keith,

One day we will be able to fly/travel again. You will get a visit from me to "see" (pun intended) my next speakers...None of that horn monstrosities, pelase.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 31910

I recently upgraded from a Topping D50 to an Ares II. I don't have any data to substantiate my experience and certainly am not technical enough in my understanding to spar with anyone on this forum, but it seems that there is a large contingent of people out there who feel that some dacs do not sound good to their ears while others do -- I'm not sure that it can all totally be explained by psycho acoustics.

My experience: I had my Topping D50 paired with some speakers that I really enjoyed and thought the DAC was great and the combo was really working for me, I had absolutely no complaints with the D50 and used it happily with great results for several years. The speakers it was paired with was Pioneer Elite TZ-7. Then I got a new pair of speakers JBL L7 and I noticed I got listening fatigue in very short order with the Topping D50 and instead went back to my DAC inside the Sony DVP-S9000ES. The D50 was just too clear and transparent and gave me a headache in short order. Subjectively, it also sounded kind of flat even though it was extremely detailed. The main thing was I would get a headache after listening for a short period of time even when adjusting at different volume levels. This never happened before with my other speakers and I never had any bias against the D50 other than I thought it was a great DAC.

Now that I have the Ares II paired with the JBL L7 I can listen for long periods again with no listening fatigue and no headaches. Subjectively, I also perceive a greater depth in the soundstage. I have settled into using it OS/Slow mode. I have not had it very long but it's providing me the detail and dimensionality while not giving me headaches like the D50 did. It may all just be in my head, I have no idea, and I don't really care. As long as I am not getting the headaches.

Top Bottom